Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2009, 09:38 eRe4s3r

Yeah, but why would we want to know that?

This is a site about games, sales are business stuff - It also doesn't let us know anything beyond, game X is on place Y because Steam says so. Not that i think these stats are wrong, they are just not saying much beyond.. "We got stats, look at them shiny".

And then there is the clear issue that Valve is owning Steam and they are the same company, thats the worst conflict of interest possible when digital distribution (steam) carries non-valve games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2009, 06:22 xXBatmanXx

Top 10 selling games is recent on BN and I wonder if it will always be there. Do we really need this?

I like it - lets us know how the sales fared.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2009, 22:24 Kxmode

This week I am actually in there twice! I got Borderlands and Civ IV.

?

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2009, 09:18 Verno

Though its pretty amazing that counter-Strike: Source is always around in those top 10

Counter-Strike is still a ridiculously popular shooter to this day.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2009, 08:10 Veinman

I have no clue about what's required for Civ IV. I downloaded it all, and as far as I can tell, the only shortcut I don't need is the one for the base Civ IV? Can you access Beyond the Sword from Warlords and vice versa?  

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2009, 02:14 nullability

I've had Civ IV, Warlords, and BTS installed in Steam for the longest time. This weekend I deleted Civ IV and Warlords and BTS runs just fine.

Usually it will give you a dependency error if you try to delete something that is requied by another application, but not in the case of Civ IV. So it does seem that while you need to own Civ IV and Warlords to play BTS, you do not need them installed.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2009, 01:33 Beamer

Veinman, do we have to have both add-ins and Civ4 installed?
The Steam forums seem confused. Some people just have the most recent add-in installed, but no one is sure if that gives you all the features.

Civ 4 is 1.4 GBs, Beyond the Sword is 3.something. Do I need both? The other one is also like 2.something I think. I'd assume it's cumulative, but dunno.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 23:43 Veinman

This week I am actually in there twice! I got Borderlands and Civ IV. I have really been enjoying the "Defense" custom scenario in Beyond the Sword.  

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 22:36 Rhialto

Top 10 selling games is recent on BN and I wonder if it will always be there. Do we really need this?  

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 22:04 eRe4s3r

Steams FUD stats are old news DLC Bitching is new news!

Though its pretty amazing that counter-Strike: Source is always around in those top 10

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 21:38 Sepharo

Because your favorite isn't on top?

No, I just thought that was what we were supposed to talk about.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 20:51 Narf2029

I did agree that performance was an issue if you want high detail settings, and I agreed that it was not well-optimized for PC. It still remains a fun game however, even with lower detail settings. I've never had a problem with falling through the world though, so that sucks in your case.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 19:12 Rilcon

Performance is an issue; my system is three years old, but this is the only game I have where I have to tone down some settings. Controls felt alright, but I decided to play with a 360 controller as the vehicle control felt to "radical" on keyboard.

Off the top of my head, the only "bug" I can think of is that you need to toss people into shacks in order to break them down; took me ages of whacking at the things with a katana to figure that out...

Fun game, though.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 19:06 The Half Elf

I can run Crysis at 50+ fps on high settings, there is no reason I should have to turn off major lighting and shadow settings to get the game to run smoothly, especially when I can run circles around a Xbox 360.
I have fallen through the game world so many times, had my vehicle come to a complete stop for no reason when getting Gatz out of the court house and the controls are a pain in the ass with a keyboard/mouse. especially when your trying to turn the camera around while driving the car.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 18:01 Narf2029

Bugs? Only bug I ever had was the driving control bug, which was minor. Controls were great for me but I don't have a gamepad. Performance is somewhat of an issue but if your system is capable of running a Source engine game well in maximum detail you'll at least be able to handle a little above the minimum detail in Saints Row 2, which was pretty enough for me. If you want Saints Row 2 to run in high detail then yes you are going to need a pretty monsterrific rig. I'm enjoying it a lot in 1024x768 with simple dynamic lighting and 2x AA and anisotropic filtering, but that's all. But again, I'm having plenty of fun playing and the game still looks good despite the low settings. If having details maxed is a big concern you're probably better off playing on the 360 since it was not well-optimized for PC.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2009, 18:44.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 17:40 The Half Elf

I bought it on D2D (the code works so you can have it on Steam) and let me tell you it's a clusterfuck. Controls/Bugs/Performance are HORRIBLE on the PC and I would highly advise you to either get the 360 version (least you can trade it in) or not get it at all.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 17:25 Kxmode

This list is a fabrication my good sirs!

Because your favorite isn't on top?

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 16:36 PHJF

Controls on the PC are (almost) fine after the patch. Before the patch, the game wouldn't work when any gamepad other than a 360 was so much as plugged in. As somebody mentioned in the other thread, the only problem with the controls is that left/right/accelerate will inexplicably "cut out" from time to time, requiring the player to release the afflicted key. It happens rare enough that it doesn't seriously undermine the gameplay. It runs all right performance wise, much better than before the patch. It's definitely better to play on a console, but if you don't have a console there's no reason not to play it for $10 or so on the PC.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 16:14 Beamer

Saints Row 2 was 5 bucks on D2D, but I didn't buy it because everyone said the controls were horrid

Steam had it for what, $5 or $10 this week I think.

Not sure how it is on the PC now. Game's fantastic on the Xbox, though.

I finally bought Civ 4 Complete. Struggling with Colonization now. I struggled with the original 15 years ago (I rented it, didn't buy it. Man, renting PC games...)It's a very different beast than Civ 4 and I'm enjoying it far less. But I haven't learned it, and I enjoy nearly everything far less than Civ 4, so...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 18, 2009, 16:10 Rosco

I heard the controls were horrible when it was released but improved with a patch. I can't find any confirmation on it though.  
Consoles are schwag.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo