Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Trailer

The Star Trek Online trailer on GameVideos is part one in a series on Cryptic's upcoming Trekkie MMORPG. The narrated clip outlines the timeline and back story of the game, offering some pre-alpha footage to illustrate what's being discussed.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 19, 2009, 01:16 Ruffiana

Cryptic has no spinoff/cousin companies, unless you want to count Paragon studios which was formed by NCSoft when they purchased CoH/CoV from Cryptic. As that studio hasn't done more than continue live support for CoH/CoV to date it's pretty specious to make predictions of what they will or will not be capable of doing in the future.

NetDevil did Auto Assault for NCSoft. That partnership ended when AA ended. They've never been associated with Cryptic, other than both were independant developers working on an MMO for NCSoft. By that logic, ArenaNet and Guild Wars should also be lumped in.

Or for that matter, since Cryptic worked for Microsoft (Marvel Universe Online) and is now owned by Atari, you could lump all of those publishers games in with it and any 3rd party developers who have ever worked for them as well.

At the end of the day, the beta test will determine whether this game is going to succeed or not. All of the hype is meaningless and most people don't even know who makes what or what the difference is between a developer and a publisher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 18, 2009, 11:27 ColoradoHoudini

"That's your opinion. I've liked the games that Cryptic have produced, as have many other people. And considering that they have soaked up massive numbers of developers who are also mad keen trekkies, do you honestly think it's going to break canon that much? STO will do well in my opinion. It's going to appeal to a niche audience, but it will be profitable.

And as for all those people droning on about graphics, WoW proved you don't need good graphics to make a successful game."

I've found that games that Cryptic and their spinoff/cousin companies have made to be completely terrible. Knowing the track record of this company makes me beleive this game will be terrible as well. They have no depth in CoV.. Champions Online is pretty much a rehash of CoV.. and that game is also without depth.
Two titles that are MMO's that lack quality content and lack a reason for me to log in and want to play.

Oh, and I never understood why people said WoW had/has bad graphics, I play at the highest settings and my game looks pretty damn good.

19. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 18, 2009, 10:21 Jim

I find it amusing that all of these space combat sims have HUGE, BRIGHT NEBULAE EVERYWHERE. I know they do this because large expanses of black space can get boring, but why not just show the Milky Way and enhance it for effect? The movies and TV shows are mostly black space with a smattering of stars (which all seem to be the same magnitude) and usually only show huge, bright nebulae when they are near some astrophysical phenomenon.  
Jim

18. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 18, 2009, 05:23 KilrathiAce

Those folks in that video look so pale I thought it was Data.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

17. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 18, 2009, 01:09 Drayth

I just don't see how 1 ship from the future would dramatically change the TOS years.

It didn't change anything that happened in TOS, or Next Generation, or DS9, etc. In the movie we followed a different parallel timeline. Both versions still occur. That's the genius of this reboot. It doesn't erase all the Star Trek stuff that's already been made from it's own lore.

It's like the quantum theory that every moment has a million possible outcomes, all playing out in different universes. We're simply following a different tangent then the original series followed.

16. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 23:54 Hellbinder

you guys for the most part are a bunch of damn idiots. Seriously.

That video looked exactly like trek. The vehicles move and act just look past trek combat games. It looks to me like they are doing a great job of representing the trek universe in an MMO format.

The Whales name is Bob.

15. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 19:52 Creston

When you have impulse engines on a star ship and when the star ship powers them up and the 'engine glow' comes out of the warp nacelles there is a problem sir!

Eh, that's the kind of minutiae I don't give a shit about. They probably just used the wrong CGI shot at that point, or maybe they finally realized that it's stupid to have two different sets of engine exhausts to begin with.

I just don't see how 1 ship from the future would dramatically change the TOS years.

Why not? It's been done several times before in Star Trek, most noticeably in First Contact.

Creston

14. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 17:48 Talisorn

It's called inference. Based on the past history of games from these companies and developers we can infer that the game will suck balls.
That's your opinion. I've liked the games that Cryptic have produced, as have many other people. And considering that they have soaked up massive numbers of developers who are also mad keen trekkies, do you honestly think it's going to break canon that much? STO will do well in my opinion. It's going to appeal to a niche audience, but it will be profitable.

And as for all those people droning on about graphics, WoW proved you don't need good graphics to make a successful game.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2009, 17:49.

13. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 17:38 The Half Elf

When you have impulse engines on a star ship and when the star ship powers them up and the 'engine glow' comes out of the warp nacelles there is a problem sir!

I can handle the actors, the ships, the sets (except the freaking re-dressed beer factory's) and I really like how Pike was in the movie (poor actor always ends up playing the doomed Commanding Officer in everything he does), but Star Trek was not Die Hard in space, and has 40+ years of storytelling behind it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 17:26 Kxmode

I really liked Star Trek. My favorite part was the Kobayashi Maru. I heard the story Kirk tells Lt. Saavik in "Wrath of Khan" but it was fun to see it happen visually.

Saavik: Admiral, may I ask you a question?
Kirk: What's on your mind, Lieutenant?
Saavik: The Kobayashi Maru, sir.
Kirk: Are you asking me if we're playing out that scenario now?
Saavik: On the test, sir... will you tell me what you did? I would really like to know.
McCoy: Lieutenant, you are looking at the only Starfleet cadet who ever beat the no-win scenario.
Saavik: How?
Kirk: I reprogrammed the simulation so it was possible to rescue the ship.
Saavik: What?
David Marcus: He cheated.
Kirk: I changed the conditions of the test; got a commendation for original thinking. I don't like to lose.
Saavik: Then you never faced that situation... faced death.
Kirk: I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

11. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 17:05 Creston

Creston the movie was CRAP! Good Sci-Fi action movie, but as a trek movie it was crap

That's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I thought it was very good. I thought it was a good story, a believable story, I really enjoyed most of the new actors in the old roles, the CGI was amazing, and the redesign of the enterprise into a more futuristic and automated vessel was fine by me.

Now, the part in engineering were Scotty almost drowns, yeah, that's stupid, especially since according to Trek lore, there's nothing in there that he could be immersed in and actually survive. Most likely that would have been coolant plasma, which would have liquidated him the instant he touched it.

I don't let one thing ruin my enjoyment of a movie. I'm hoping they'll start shooting the next one soon, and that after that they'll finally give the green light to a new TV series. TV sucks without new 'Trek on it.

Creston

10. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 17:04 Kxmode

If all this video does is show random gameplay footage with dull developers droning over nerdy Star Trek lore couldn't they have at least hired an actor?! You know like Gary Oldman or Patrick Stewart! Sheesh...  

9. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 16:27 Zzet

The space combat looks ok...I guess. A little bit ropey if you're being critical, but hopefully that sort of thing will be ironed out before retail.
I really hope space combat is an involved process, I don't want it to be a "press left mouse until target explodes" while the ship does everything else. I want to regulate shields, assign repair priorities, perform manoeuvres that hide my weak shields, etc. And I don't want anyone to die in 10 seconds without having a chance, as that sucks.

Aaanyway, aside from the space combat bits, this video essentially tells you: "we have made some lore." Hurrah.

8. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 16:19 The Half Elf

Creston the movie was CRAP! Good Sci-Fi action movie, but as a trek movie it was crap.... Engineering looked like a freaking Beer Plant.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 16:10 Creston

I hate MMORPGS, but I'm keeping my eye on this and on KOR. As for backstory, from what I've read they just continue the storyline from DS9, so it looks pretty good from that standpoint.

I've wanted Trek to pick up after DS9 forever. Instead we got Enterprise and a damn reboot... (though the reboot was a solid, solid movie and I really enjoyed it.)

Creston

6. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 15:42 Cutter

dude, seriously, wtf are you basing this on? At least try thing when the beta opens before you trash it.

It's called inference. Based on the past history of games from these companies and developers we can infer that the game will suck balls.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 15:23 Hump

This game will lack any sort of depth, look and feel like every Cryptic/NCsoft/Net Devil game (that's NOT good) and crash and burn quickly after launch.
The trekkies will destroy every thing in this game that isn't correct according to backstory..

dude, seriously, wtf are you basing this on? At least try thing when the beta opens before you trash it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 14:08 StingingVelvet

Those ship battles look HORRIBLE. They don't have the starship flight model down - these things are big and bulky and are supposed to turn slowly. In the video it seems like they're fighters.

I would bet space combat will resemble Star Wars a lot more than Star Trek. Fast-paced PEW PEW PEW action combat. The death of this MMMO will be aiming for a mainstream audience but not having the polish or marketing to secure that audience... if they catered to Trekies like me, they could make a large profit off a small budget game.

3. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 13:53 Slink

Those ship battles look HORRIBLE. They don't have the starship flight model down - these things are big and bulky and are supposed to turn slowly. In the video it seems like they're fighters.

Not too mention... way too many green lasers!

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

2. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 17, 2009, 12:15 ColoradoHoudini

This game will lack any sort of depth, look and feel like every Cryptic/NCsoft/Net Devil game (that's NOT good) and crash and burn quickly after launch.
The trekkies will destroy every thing in this game that isn't correct according to backstory..

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo