Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera

Kotaku has some impressions of the PS3 edition of Dragon Age: Origins, revealing that only the PC edition has the ability to zoom out for a strategic top-down view, as this is not present in the console versions. The top-down view fits with BioWare's statements about this being the "spiritual successor" to the Baldur's Gate series, but there's no explanation of why it will not be part of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions. Update: As noted in our forums, this was explained by BioWare a while ago as being due to memory constraints on console systems.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 18, 2009, 02:15 StingingVelvet

Yep but thanks to Bioware, the PC version is different

I just hope they get some good sales out of the PC version. Ideally I would love it if the PC version outsold either one of the consoles, the Xbox being the gold medal. It would show building a game for the PC and then porting it to consoles is still a viable business strategy.

Other games have done so recently, Risen, Darkest of Days, but none of them were mainstream enough to call attention to it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 17:52 ibm

Yep but thanks to Bioware, the PC version is different  

31. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 16:44 Kxmode

Great it hasn't been dumbed down for consoles.

Actually, I think it has.

30. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 13:19 AstroCat

So looking forward to this game! Great it hasn't been dumbed down for consoles. Finally!  

29. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 13:10 ColoradoHoudini

You have my purchase.

28. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 11:48 StingingVelvet

You remember a vastly different five years ago than I do.

Yup.

Also, they myth that if everything were a PC exclusive we would have all games look like Crysis is pretty off. Game companies want more gamers to be able to play PC titles, which means graphics that work well on older hardware. We would have more Crysis showcases probably, but far from every game would be, and Dragon Age would never be.

27. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 11:22 Reitsuki

Yay! They left top-down view in the PC version, but the graphics still look like something from 5 years ago. Get used to it, nothing will improve much as long as the current generation of consoles are the preeminent platform.

You remember a vastly different five years ago than I do.

26. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 10:22 xXBatmanXx

ARGH! So many games to play - this one fell off the radar.....will have to reconsider after it releases.....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 10:22 Umbragen

Yay! They left top-down view in the PC version, but the graphics still look like something from 5 years ago. Get used to it, nothing will improve much as long as the current generation of consoles are the preeminent platform.  

24. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 06:07 Noctis

I think this was the first thing I checked to see was in when I heard about this game. Tt's good to see that it wasn't sacrificed. It's one of the best, if not the best, features for tactical combat. Even if it wasn't memory related, I could see how a top down view on a tv would be less desirable just based on the distances one generally sits away from a computer monitor vs a tv.  

23. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 03:20 ibm

In a video interview with the Dr posted on Blue's a couple of days ago he as good as said it was easier on the consoles. May as well just confirm what PC gamers have known for years, that games are dumbed down for the console market.  

22. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 01:40 Yifes

All this sounds good, but I'm still waiting and to hear how the story is. I really need a good story these days to keep me playing through a long game.

From what I have seen, the combat doesn't really offer anything beyond what BG and the old infinity engine games have already accomplished. The same gameplay, made a bit simpler and streamlined for the console crowd, wrapped in a reasonable looking 3d engine. The giantbomb video wasn't particularly impressive. Shield bash, heal when needed, drink some potions, cast some direct damage spells and a cone of cold, nothing we haven't seen before. Albiet the characters were at a low level, so I really hope the combat has a bit more depth than that.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2009, 01:47.

21. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 01:24 Fion

GiantBombs video is indeed one of the best shown so far as it goes into quite extensive into character building and a good long look at the combat, which looks absolutely fantastic. If you're mildly interested in the game and a RPG fan, check that video out, you'll be giddy with excitement and putting a DA:O countdown widget on your desktop to be sure.  

20. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 01:23 Overon

Well color me shocked and delighted. Will this game have no consolitis at all?  

19. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 01:04 Jerykk

It's great to see a multiplatform PC game that isn't bottle-necked by the console versions. Lead SKU ftw.  

18. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 17, 2009, 00:46 kylania

You can clearly this camera mode, and all PC camera options, in GiantBomb's QuickLook video:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins/17-1477/

17. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 16, 2009, 23:01 Fion

Just another reason I'm happy I pre-ordered. The wait might kill me, though.

I've been waiting since 2002. I think we can wait another 2 and 1/2 weeks.

ok.. no we cant! DA NOW PLEASE!

16. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 16, 2009, 22:43 Kxmode

miscomment...

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2009, 22:44.

15. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 16, 2009, 21:50 Prez

Top down is almost a must when trying to manage a large party based combat scenario, so this is very good news. It's a nice bonus that this will definitely give a bit of nostalgia for BG. Good choice Bioware.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 16, 2009, 21:34 Wowbagger_TIP

Sweet. I'm actually considering pre-ordering this. Normally I wouldn't, but I've got that 20% off coupon from Stardock burning a hole in my pocket. I'm about 95% sure I'm gonna end up getting it anyway. Now I just gotta decide whether I want the regular or deluxe version.... hmmm...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo