Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue

Massively has a status report from Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment about Stargate Worlds, their upcoming MMORPG based on the Stargate sci-fi film and television license. They have long been struggling with funding, and in spite of indications over the summer that new investments had been secured, word is they are still in financial trouble: "As for the Stargate Worlds game and Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, Inc., our company has struggled in the current economic climate to raise the funding needed to successfully develop and publish our MMORPG. While there continues to be a lot of desire, enthusiasm and excitement about the project from our employees, investors and fans, we will not be able to provide any updates on the development of Stargate Worlds until sufficient funding is available."

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Game Reviews Oct 20, 2009, 12:06 BobBob

Damn. I was just getting my hopes up for SGU and now you say that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 20, 2009, 11:26 dryden555

OK I am done with SG Universe -- last night's episode ('Dark') had some particularly poor acting (the 'girl in the shower scene' was excrutiatingly lame). YMMV  

48. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 15, 2009, 16:07 Kxmode

my interest is in the fantastical non-ordinary elements, the escapism, etc - to me thats the point of having fantasy based stories in the first place

Ok, I'll bite. Care to give a couple of examples?

Thank you Mr. Tact. I like how space capt didn't even provide one example when I made a simple request, and then has the gall to call me an idiot.

47. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 15, 2009, 15:51 Mr. Tact

my interest is in the fantastical non-ordinary elements, the escapism, etc - to me thats the point of having fantasy based stories in the first place
Ok, I'll bite. Care to give a couple of examples?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

46. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 13:18 PacoTaco

I remember a bunch of people getting all excited about this product years ago, but never understood why myself.

Now that I take a hard look at it screen shots look like crap, and I don't get why anyone would care about this property. The movie was a B the show was a C or D and making a game about it never made any sense to me, so still confused why it was started and hate seeing all that work go down the toliet bowl no matter what or why they started this effort.

45. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 12:57 Agent.X7

Why exactly cannot they close or repair that hatch -- something done a zillion times in other stargate episodes?

Because - as they have said a ZILLION times - these are the WRONG people for this mission! They have no Rodney or Sam to pull thier asses out of the fire. They have a genius kid who - while super smart - knows nothing, and they have Dr. Smith....er...Rush who doesn't seem to be good in a pinch. (Like Carter or McKay...)

The rest was explained. Go watch it on Hulu and pay attention this time.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

44. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 09:55 dryden555

totally agree one should not over-interpret scifi TV show "logic" -- you got me there

Still the writers make this stuff up and it was far too easy a plot contrivance to kill somebody off sympathetically and thereby wrap up the episode. SG1 seasons 2-5 would have never done it that way....I'll give the new show a few more chances myself but it sure didnt win me over with the pilot.

43. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 09:25 Jonny

I can't believe I'm going to defend a scifi show's logic, but here goes:

The hatch was rusted shut. They had no equipment to move it, no hydraulic gear, no cutting gear, nothing.

The door they shut was the cargo ramp of a shuttle, which presumably those who built it could shut at will but they could only do manually from inside. Couldn't find the remote, obviously. It was probably down the back of the chair. It also wouldn't activate if it detected something blocking the door, so no poking the button with a big stick from outside. It also closed too fast for they guy inside to run back out after pressing the button.

The whole thing was really close to their arrival point, given that near-death guy was able to stagger there before anyone noticed he'd gone. It's a good chance they didn't have any extra bulkheads to shut or they'd have done it. Or the ship would as it's sealed off all the other areas open to space.

Robert Carlyle's character's alright, as is the colonel guy, but I really can't stand the nerdy one. He's blatantly a sap to what they obviously see as their main demographic, fat early twenties nerds who live with their parents, which is a bit off-putting to someone who isn't a fat nerd living with his parents.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 09:26.

42. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 08:36 dryden555

the first 2 episodes of SU were disappointing: there was really poor writing especially in the pilot. Why exactly cannot they close or repair that hatch -- something done a zillion times in other stargate episodes? Why does an actual person need to sit in the chair to press the button? Once that guy dies in the chair wont the hatch simply open again? Couldnt they rig something to push the button in the chair? Why cannot they close other nearby hatches that are not broken to temporarily close off a larger section and presevre air? None of this is explained. Bad writing. The 2nd episode had potential but the cast lacks ensemble chemistry. The nerd character is funny.

41. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 15, 2009, 04:22 DarkCntry

Ok so it was a mock up of an imaginary game and absoltuley nothing to do with the mmo. That's my problem - I was hoping that was a sneak peek into the beta which would make stargate worlds look a lot more promising than it currently it. As a mock up supposedly based on it but even called something different I'm afraid my interest level is still hovering around the level of Flyff 2's previews..

Well, it *is* what Stargate Worlds is to a degree. The only difference was that it was compiled as a complete looking build and slapped with another name. The reason they just didn't outright call it Stargate Worlds is simply because, well, a Stargate game in the Stargate-enabled universe would be rather odd to say the least. After-all, even the mock spin-off show Morty did wasn't called Stargate.

40. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 15, 2009, 01:02 fliptw

I wouldn't be surprised if the VC asks questions like this:

"is it like WOW, but better?"

39. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 14, 2009, 22:53 Prez

It seems like a Stargate MMO has been in development and in trouble for the last 10 years.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 21:14 space captain

It's not really my opinion, it's fact

the qualities of "what makes it good" is your opinion, not fact. its a matter of personal taste. if you dont get that, you are a hopeless idiot

Yes, but any film with those elements are usually combines with a central, human-dramatic story.

as i said before, in the post directly below:

of course all stories have drama, but its a question of balance.

learn to read

Go forth, and kill!

37. Re: Stargate Worlds Woes Oct 14, 2009, 21:05 Pete

I liked both SG-1 and SGA. Haven't seen SGU yet. I got into the beta, or alpha a while back, whatever they are calling it. Either way they were like 2 years away from it being playable by any standards.  
Doin' it Big

36. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 20:01 Lorcin

first up NKD you win! Great post.

That was Prometheus which is a mock-up portion of Stargate Worlds so they could display it in the premiere.

Ok so it was a mock up of an imaginary game and absoltuley nothing to do with the mmo. That's my problem - I was hoping that was a sneak peek into the beta which would make stargate worlds look a lot more promising than it currently it. As a mock up supposedly based on it but even called something different I'm afraid my interest level is still hovering around the level of Flyff 2's previews..

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 20:01.

35. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 19:22 Cram

NKD just won the thread.

/thread.

34. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 19:18 NKD

Big question though - the fat nerd guy we're meant to relate to?

I don't think anyone on Blue's News is supposed to be able to relate to him.

1) He plays an MMO. Everyone here hates MMOs.
2) He is funny. No one here has a sense of humor.
3) He is charismatic. Everyone here is a Negative Nancy.
4) He is a genius. The inconsistency here is obvious.

But you're right on two counts:

1) He lives with his mom.
2) He's somewhat overweight.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

33. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 19:10 n0slet

Window of Opportunity was one of the funniest SG1 episodes ever your right. And as to SGU I think it's something completely different then what has been done before, which is not necessarily a bad thing, you have to do something else then just stargate exploration or the series would get old eventually, although it hadn't for me just yet.

That being said I do miss Atlantis, and am really annoyed with them for cancelling SGA for SGU. If they'd been on at the same time I'd probably be happy with SGU. But as it stands now it feels too much like them trying to cash in on BSG's success. And it feels like the last few seasons of BSG which were pretty much all about drama. I like drama but I, like every other red blooded male need some explosions and space battles. It's just not going to be Stargate without a good enemy they have to deal with and some good space battles thrown in. If every episode is like the last few seasons of BSG's with hardly any real action, it's going to get old REALLY fast.

Aside from that my biggest complaint is none of the characters I really care a lick about. If one of the main characters got killed off I wouldn't even care one bit. I can't very well get into the drama part of the show if I could care less what happens to the characters. None so far besides Rush and only a small amount there have endeared themselves to me at all the way the SG1/SGA cast did from the first 2-3 episodes.

As to SG Worlds, I have never had high hopes for this game. Especially after seeing gameplay video of it. I wish they'd just kept to the FPS they were making awhile back and not gone MMO with it. Sci-fi doesn't usually lend itself well to MMO's from what I've seen. Which is why the most popular MMO's have tended to be Medieval/Fantasty based. And of course when SGW inevitably flops it's going to make it that much harder to get a solid FPS or any other type of SG game made again. So I really could care less if this gets cancelled or not myself.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 19:13.

32. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 19:09 DarkCntry

Big question though - the fat nerd guy we're meant to relate to? The game he was playing in the start of episode one - was that the stargate MMO? If it wasn't why the hell not!

That was Prometheus which is a mock-up portion of Stargate Worlds so they could display it in the premiere.

31. Re: Stargate Worlds Funding Woes Continue Oct 14, 2009, 19:08 ColoradoHoudini

SEAQUEST DSV!!!!  

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo