Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a bit of an outage in the wee hours of this morning caused by a little script mishap that has been cleared up. Sorry about that.

R.I.P.: 'The Godfather' singer Al Martino dies. Thanks Hump.

Rebooted Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Robot and the Cities that Built Him. By 2dboy. Thanks Michael.
Harvey Tumblestump.
Destroy All Cars.
Links: Top 5 Gracelessly Aging Characters. Thanks Ralph.
Say it with Baby Animals.
Stories: Should Americans banish the burger? No, we should ban feeding cows corn.
Finger points to new da Vinci art. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Hybrid Cars May Include Fake Vroom for Safety. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science: The Paleo-Lakes of Mars (Can Fossil Fish Be Far Behind?). Thanks Ralph.
Scientists prove cancer can be passed on in the womb.
Images: 35 Years of the World’s Best Microscope Photography.
Star Wars and Star Trek Baby Costumes. Thanks Digg.
New flying reptile fossils found. They're harder to find when they're flying.
Media: iRobot Makes First Version of T-1000 or Number Six. Thanks Devicer.
Prank Show Fail. Don't F with the French.
Football Player Fail.
The Funnies: xkcd - Static.
Follow-ups: Remote controlled bugs buzz off.
Susan Klebold: Mother of Columbine Shooter Dylan Klebold Shares Story.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 17:48 xXBatmanXx

The worst thing for me is I have never gotten the general euphoria so many people seem to experience from regular exercise. I never "felt better" when I exercised on a regular basis (when in the USAF). Or felt more energy or any of the other things so many claim to gain as a benefit to regular exercise. *shrug*

I always did - as long as I ran. Lifting weights never did it for me. Just a time thing now - or get used to working out at 3am.....

Like I said, I always like these threads, glad you were able to lose what you have. I personally would love to be at 200, but I am sure that will mean tons of protein drinks, lots of overeating, and 2 hours a day at the gym - hard to justify right now.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 11:48 Mr. Tact

The BMI categories are Underweight, Normal Weight, Overweight, and Obese.

At 5'11", 185 lbs according to BMI you are just into their "Overweight" category, at 178 lbs you would squeek into the Normal category. I "misspoke" before, 6'3", 200 lbs would put me exactly on the border between "Normal" and "Overweight", not "borderline Obese" as I said before. That's much more reasonable.

I'd be very happy with 200 lbs. We'll see if I can get there.

The worst thing for me is I have never gotten the general euphoria so many people seem to experience from regular exercise. I never "felt better" when I exercised on a regular basis (when in the USAF). Or felt more energy or any of the other things so many claim to gain as a benefit to regular exercise. *shrug*

I will admit, the study I spoke of probably indicates as much as anything that people who want to lose weight and exercise, tend to over reward themselves. ie.. they do exercise which burns 300 calories and reward themselves with a 600 calorie snack. Probably a USA cultural thing as much as anything else.

Whatever the ultimate truth, I'm just glad the weight is coming off. I'm sure you are right and I will plateau at some point. I'm just hoping that plateau comes somewhere close to 200 lbs.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 10:45 xXBatmanXx

I never claimed I was healthy. I know I was/am obese. My only claim (and that of the scientist doing the studies) is that calorie intake is far more crucial in weight loss than exercise is.

Until you plateau - then portion control wouldn't matter one bit. If I eat next to nothing (which I have) I don't lose weight. If I eat a ton (and I usually do) I don't gain weight. My metabolism is so active, that it compensates either way. But it is WHAT I eat, not how much. I have fluctuated 5-10 pounds for many years now, and 185 is the most I have ever weighed. My Dr says my body fat is 20% - which by looking at me you would never know...

Now, if I ate sweets (I don't) then I would probably gain some weight. If I drank pop as much as others I know (I don't) I would be obese as well. My food intake is meats and taters. I also work on my feet (didn't used to) - huge difference. When I worked at a desk for 10+ years I felt like shit. My back was always sore, my neck was always stiff, didn't matter what I did I just "felt like shit". When I get bored in the middle of the night now on patrol, I walk. We have 12 hours shifts. I work, walk, eat, sleep. On my days off I go to the dog park for 2 or so hours a day, eat, drink beer, play games, sleep.

Again, remember I don't eat a lot of the things that would make one obese, as I cut the majority of those out over 12 years ago.

Meat and taters buddy - meat and taters.
I miss working out all of the time - but right now it isn't a priority. To many games to play on to many systems.

If I did portion control in the long run - I MIGHT lose 10 pounds. But that isn't a concern of mine - I would rather enjoy life.

Now....am I "healthy"? Well, like I said, doc says 20% fat, but cholesterol is under normal, and everything else checks out....roll the dice I guess. Hopefully when I am fully used to working nights, I can get back to the gym 3-4 times a week. I know I can chase bad guys down on foot for a few blocks - no problems there.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 11:04.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 08:06 Mr. Tact

Oh, and I should point out that I haven't exactly "been a monk" when it comes to eating. I have a weekly outing with friends on Monday nights (originally a Monday Night Football thing) during which I usually have a couple of beers (sometimes 2, sometimes 6 or 7 ;p). And a normal Friday lunch gig where I probably have a day's worth of fat. And yet, I still lost all that weight.

You're right, being severely obese made it easier for me to lose large number of pounds. But as a percentage of my original weight, I am on target for losing weight at a rate which is consistent with normal doctor monitored weight loss programs. And believe me, I spent a lot of time reading up on the subject. Will I able to follow the weight loss curve without significant exercise all the way down to a "normal" weight? Only time will tell.

What is "normal" anyway? I think the BMI thing is insane. At 6'3" if I was 200 lbs, BMI puts me a borderline obese. Crazy! At 180 lbs I'd be at the high end of healthy. George Hincapie, a world class cyclist/athlete is 6'3" and 180 pounds -- and he has finished 13 Tour de Frances.

Edit: I also want to comment that my weight has never kept me from doing anything I wanted to do. I'm in no way a "1/2 ton man" Discover Channel show waiting to happen. Always been able to tie my shoes, sit in normal chairs, etc. I'm a tall, broad shouldered guy with a "big beer gut".

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 08:13.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 07:47 Mr. Tact

Hey, Bats -- always nice to chat with someone who is mostly sane.
Just because you can lose weight with portion control does not mean you are healthy.
I never claimed I was healthy. I know I was/am obese. My only claim (and that of the scientist doing the studies) is that calorie intake is far more crucial in weight loss than exercise is.
large amounts of beers and eating 4-5x a day have given me a nice tire
I'm assuming you are being at least partially facetious here. However, if you are having regular alcohol consumption, getting rid of it would probably make more of an impact in losing some extra pounds than you might think. And saying that you eat whatever you want whenever you want and that portion control would do nothing is contradictory. Eating whatever you want whenever you want is the exact opposite of portion control. So, of course, portion control could help you.

I'm also NOT saying, that you can't eat tons of sweets and junk food and not be healthy. If you happened to catch "60 Minutes" this week, one segment was about Adrain Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings. The guy is a beast, about as healthy as they come. Exercises like mad. And he eats a ton of junk food.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 01:05 xXBatmanXx

Oh, and I eat meat and potatoes almost every supper time. I buy all of my meats from a local butcher who makes sure the products are appropriate. Not a lot of sweets (non in the house) and very little pop (non ever in the house). NY Strip at least 1x a week. Porkchops, pork ribs, chicken breast, beef pot pies, hamburgers. That sounds about like a normal week. It isn't the food we eat, it is how it is processed. My grandparents lived on a farm, were very healthy, and ate red meat 2-3x a day.

Just had the conversation at least twice this week about fast food joints. You should never eat at them....period. It amazes me the number of people I see going to/from McDonalds everyday as I pass by them. I do get a Big Mac craving once in a while, and try to limit myself to 1x a month fast food.

Don't eat things out of a box, don't eat fast food, and try and stay away from pop/juice/carbonated beverages. Do those 3, and you will be well ahead of the game. (yeah, and unfortunately, stay away from those potato chips. :))

Anyway. Everyone has an opinion - always a fun topic to discuss.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 15, 2009, 00:58 xXBatmanXx

I am a total couch potato. I walk to my car, into my office, and reverse it to go home. Mowing the lawn twice a month is my only thing I do that comes close to exercise. However, since July 1st of this year, I've lost over 60 pounds without increasing my activity. Purely based on reduced calorie intake. Should I increase my activity? Sure. Am I going to? Maybe, eventually. But I'm guessing I can lose the other 60 pounds I want to lose without doing so.

That may work because you were morbidly obese, but at some point, you will still be chubby and plateau. Just because you can lose weight with portion control does not mean you are healthy. I am 5'11, 185 pounds, and by no means am I healthy at all. I eat whatever I want whenever I want. Portion control would do nothing for me - I need to exercise. (large amounts of beers and eating 4-5x a day have given me a nice tire that isn't noticeable to most - and all cops love donuts. :))

It all depends on your starting point and where you want to end up. Genetics and body chemistry are also a big part. If you lift weights all day, you can drink beer and eat red meat 3x a day (there are many books on it).

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2009, 01:40.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 17:31 Kxmode

So, maybe we should just hug trees and eat grass and flowers instead? There's nothing wrong with eating meat, just be selective and prepared to pay more for GOOD meat and meat by-products. Unless you plan on eating as much roughage as a cow you're going to end up iron and protein deficient forgoing meat.

yes either we eat red meat all day every day for every meal, or we eat NO meat. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND

There is a middle ground, its called Flexitarianism. Google it.

I am a flexitarian. I eat meat maybe once or twice a week. I do this primarily for heath reasons. But when I do eat meat I love a good T-bone or Sirloin steak with sauteed onions and A-1 Steak sauce, or Worcestershire sauce... or a Double-Double animal-style from In-N-Out

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 17:39.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 17:29 PHJF

GI Joe was painfully bad in every respect.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 16:56 Kxmode

It means people have no standards.  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 16:54 Cabezone

What the hell does that even mean? If I have zero expectations for a movie and it turns out to be shit it's still shit. I sat in on a portion of that trash with zero expectations and it was painful just for the brief time I was in there.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 16:54.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 16:47 Kxmode

Saw G.I. Joe - I thought Battlefield Earth was the worst flick ever made...now I'm not so sure. There is zero hyperoble here when I say, worst film ever. And the fact that there are people that think this film was good, and they're talking about a sequel is living proof that not near enough people are using contraceptives that should be, and reproduction should be licensed by the state.

Some people watch films with zero expectations.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 16:46 Wilson

Food wonk is, unfortunately, intimately tied into health wonk, and we all know how annoying that is.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 16:45 Kxmode

"If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul." - Isaac Asimov  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 15:46 Cutter

So I've been seeing a lot of movies of late.

Saw Zombieland yesterday in the theatre - everyone go see it at once. So totally worth it.

Saw Harold Potter - good as usual.

Saw G.I. Joe - I thought Battlefield Earth was the worst flick ever made...now I'm not so sure. There is zero hyperoble here when I say, worst film ever. And the fact that there are people that think this film was good, and they're talking about a sequel is living proof that not near enough people are using contraceptives that should be, and reproduction should be licensed by the state.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 15:42 Mr. Tact

if you're already fat and you want to lose weight, you need to exercise. Simply changing your diet to something slightly more healthy without any portion control isn't going to do a thing.
The emphasis here really needs to be on portion control, not exercise. And in fact, it's been in the news recently. Is exercise good for you? Yes, without a doubt. Is it an important part of the weight loss equation? Much less important than previously indicated.

I have personally experienced this. I recently decided I had gotten "too heavy." I've been overweight for probably 20+ years. However, after having plateaued for a decade or more I started to creep up the scale again. So, I signed onto a commercial weight loss program.

I am a total couch potato. I walk to my car, into my office, and reverse it to go home. Mowing the lawn twice a month is my only thing I do that comes close to exercise. However, since July 1st of this year, I've lost over 60 pounds without increasing my activity. Purely based on reduced calorie intake. Should I increase my activity? Sure. Am I going to? Maybe, eventually. But I'm guessing I can lose the other 60 pounds I want to lose without doing so.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 15:45.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 15:41 Cutter

Did I say red meat? No, I said meat and meat by-products. I love veg, don't get me wrong, but I'd be one unhappy - not to mention unhealthy - camper without meat.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 15:07 dubfanatic

So, maybe we should just hug trees and eat grass and flowers instead? There's nothing wrong with eating meat, just be selective and prepared to pay more for GOOD meat and meat by-products. Unless you plan on eating as much roughage as a cow you're going to end up iron and protein deficient forgoing meat.

yes either we eat red meat all day every day for every meal, or we eat NO meat. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 15:07.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 14:53 Bronco

Wait, they used chlorine gas to process meat? Interesting. Never heard that before.

They used it to disinfect everything. Now they use a weaker solution to do the same job.

Tools and equipment that aren't completely disinfected...well you get the idea.

-TPFKAS2S

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2009, 14:42 Dr. D. Schreber

Eating healthy is only one part of being healthy, too; people need to understand that if you don't want to get fat, or if you're already fat and you want to lose weight, you need to exercise. Simply changing your diet to something slightly more healthy without any portion control isn't going to do a thing.

Of course there are plenty of factors to consider when planning a healthy lifestyle, but it's time for everyone to get it through their heads that the complicated formula of "Calories In < Calories Burned" is the only thing that's going to shed those pounds, not switching from two bags of potato chips a day to two bags of "fat free" potato chips.

I gave up soda and spent an hour a day, six days a week playing DDR. Ten months later, two hundred pounds were gone. Exercise works.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo