Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Action Gaming and ADD?

Medical journal Psychophysiology announces the results of a study in the latest issue of their magazine suggesting action gaming has different effects on two types of cognitive activity: proactive and reactive attention. There is an abstract of the study here, and here is a chunk of the announcement outlining how their data "converges with other recent findings indicating that there is a relation between frequent video game playing and Attention Deficit Disorder." Word is:

Proactive attention can be thought of as a sort of “gearing up” mechanism. For instance, when players that are familiar with a particular game anticipate an action they need to take, such as getting a key or a pot of gold, in order to get to the next level. Reactive control is described as happening “just in time”, for example, when a monster suddenly appears that is about to thwart the player’s advantage or ability to get to the next level.
[…]
The researchers found that the just-in-time form of control was similar in the two groups of gamers. In contrast, brain wave and behavioral measures of proactive attention (the “gearing up” mechanism”) were significantly diminished in the frequent video game players. These data reveal a reduction in brain activity and disruption of behavior associated with sustained attention ability related to video game experience, which converges with other recent findings indicating that there is a relation between frequent video game playing and ADD. This negative relationship between action games and proactive attention can be contrasted with the beneficial effects of these games on other aspects of visual processing. The research team is also exploring whether non-gamers who play action games produce the same results as those found in frequent players.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 17, 2009, 14:10 Sepharo

My hands are shakin, my hands are shakin, but I'm still gettin head shots!

Sustained adrenaline is the way to the top of the scoreboard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 14, 2009, 18:00 Kxmode

FPS Doug is probably the best example of Action Gaming and ADD.  

14. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 21:35 Prez

I guess now the 'Collector's Edition' of games can ship with Ritalin.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 20:22 space captain

power of concentration is like a muscle, you have to exercise it to increase ability - and if you neglect it, it atrophies

if you practice it in a focused way many times a day, for many years - at a certain critical threshold, it becomes the gateway to some pretty amazing faculties of the mind - however 95% of people have no clue what these really are because they dont put in the massive amounts of effort to get there

plenty of people know plenty of stupid stories.. but very few have first hand experience of where those stories come from

and this article simply joins the consensus of other idiots - as if people "without" "ADD" can concentrate on (and therefore retain) silence in their minds for more than a minute at a time.

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 19:40 Nate

There are games that can improve your concentration abilities. Strategy and puzzle come to mind. Probably some other types too.  

11. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 19:30 migwell

And people who read a lot of books develop big butts and slow reaction times...  
I know the amplitude of time.

10. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 18:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I believe it. While I don't exactly have ADD, I do find it EXTREMELY hard to focus on things for a sustained time, and I've been playing games most of my life.

I guess it could also just be that I'm getting older, but I tend to not have any problem focusing when I play games.

Sounds exactly like me. I never really noticed it until I was into my 30s. But I've gotten really bad at focusing on any one thing at a time. When I play games (and I tend toward RPGs, and HL-type shooters mostly), I don't seem to have much trouble concentrating on them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 18:34 Creston

I believe it. While I don't exactly have ADD, I do find it EXTREMELY hard to focus on things for a sustained time, and I've been playing games most of my life.

I guess it could also just be that I'm getting older, but I tend to not have any problem focusing when I play games.

Creston

8. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 18:20 Fantaz

So kids who are ADD/ADHD play FPS games like Halo and Call of Duty while those who are not would rather play Half-Life 2, Bioshock or Deus Ex? Now some company would probably like to find a target audience for their new IP which would lie somewhere in the middle of those two crowds. One ring to rule them all!  

7. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 18:13 LittleMe

What's the gist of the article it's too long to read.

I tried reading it but was so boring after a couple sentences.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 18:06  Blue 

LOL

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 18:04 Sepharo

What if you're favorite genres are old school Adventure games and First Person Shooters.

Super brain?

4. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 17:58 Hump

so how 'bout those Mets?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 17:39 Masa

Basically paying attention requires a certain amount of effort and action games minimize that with reflexive gameplay.

2. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 17:33 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Action Gaming and ADD? Oct 13, 2009, 17:14 nwf

tldr  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo