Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing

The Dragon Age: Origins Interview on The Game Reviews chats with Mark Darrah, Executive Producer on BioWare's upcoming RPG. Along the way they learn that before the game hits gamers' systems they are already gearing up a merchandizing blitz: "So right now there is a novel coming out before the game, and another novel coming out along with the game. There is a pen and paper game in the works. We have apparel deals. We are working with a company to potentially get swords made. We also are working on comic book, and a few other things just in a planning phase at the moment."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 14, 2009, 10:52 Kxmode

Novels? ROFL they think that the ADD entitlement generation takes the time to read!

You forgot stereotyping

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2009, 10:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 23:54 Jerykk

RPG has it's roots in co-operative play, see pen and paper.

D&D has its roots in co-op play and that co-op play consists of dungeon crawling. I'd like to think that RPGs have evolved beyond that.

Co-op and RPG work well together if the players drive the narrative, Dungeon Siege is a perfect example of that.

Dungeon Siege is a terrible RPG. Where's the actual roleplaying? You spend 99.9% of the game killing stuff and your roleplaying choices consist of how you kill that stuff.

18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 17:45 Cutter

Holy blue flaming Jesus on a pogo stick! They don't even know how the game will be recieved and they're trying to cram even more advertising down are throats than we've already been subjected to. I am choking to death on the sheer volume of advertising - bad advertising at that - that they've been force feeding us with this game. To me it smacks of desperation. It's the desperate cry of trying to gussy up a 6 to make it look like a 9. This reeks of suck.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 16:18 The PC Warrior

RPG has it's roots in co-operative play, see pen and paper. No one forces you to use Ventrilo and there is nothing stopping you and your friend from roleplaying in the game. Co-op and RPG work well together if the players drive the narrative, Dungeon Siege is a perfect example of that.  

16. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 15:51 Jerykk

Really though, I'm just reiterating... Every genre... Should have coop multiplayer

Completely and utterly disagreed. Co-op is counter-productive to immersion. When you're playing a game with a buddy, you are constantly reminded that you are playing a game. This is why horror games don't work well with co-op and RPGs boil down to dungeon crawling in co-op.

15. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 15:44 Shok

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks the graphics look like crap?

No, it's not you. I've said this before in another thread on another trailer for this game.

It's a console port. If the controls and interface don't suck on the PC I will be surprised...

14. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 13:32 Alamar

Yes, it is singleplayer only... thank God.

While I understand the sentiment; people believing the SP experience is richer, more involved, etc...

Allowing one player to take on the role of the main character, and another as a 'permanent' party member, really wouldn't change things (for the main player)...

Really though, I'm just reiterating... Every genre... Should have coop multiplayer : )

-Alamar

13. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 13:17 StingingVelvet

Anyhow... After this wall of text, I'll get to my inquiry. I haven't looked into the game a lot, though I've browsed some of their site (FAQ), and some youtube videos, and I see no mention of Multi Player... Did they really go the TES route and leave out that biggest replayability inducing factor?

Yes, it is singleplayer only... thank God.

12. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 12:34 Alamar

I never did pick up NWN2.... Didn't think enough of the first one, In part, because of all the hype beforehand, and it not living up to my expectations...

Perception is everything, and I generally try to stay ignorant of entertainment media now, so I don't go in with an impression that's going to change my enjoyment (sometimes more, sometimes less)...

Reminds me of Blair Witch... Holy hyped out movie... I went with a group of friends, and I swear, I was on the edge of my seat, WAITING for the scary part... The only emotion that movie evoked in me, was the desire to go camping...

Anyhow... After this wall of text, I'll get to my inquiry. I haven't looked into the game a lot, though I've browsed some of their site (FAQ), and some youtube videos, and I see no mention of Multi Player... Did they really go the TES route and leave out that biggest replayability inducing factor?

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2009, 12:55.

11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 12:16 Techie714

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks the graphics look like crap? From all the game play trailers I have seen the graphics look circa 2006? Maybe it's just me?  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 12:02 Stanly Manly

I want this game to not suck.. I really do. Somehow I feel like I'm going to be disappointed.

Just got done watching a fairly long gameplay video. The game looked like it played nearly exactly like Neverwinter Nights 2. Personally, I felt NWN2 was simply not fun, as the gameplay boiled down to struggling against the abhorrent party AI and dynamics.

I guess if you enjoyed NWN2, you'll enjoy DA:O.

9. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 12:00 PHJF

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2009, 12:01.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 11:53 Pineapple Ferguson

I want this game to not suck.. I really do. Somehow I feel like I'm going to be disappointed.  

7. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 11:14 nin

I can't wait for the Dragon Age paper towels, the Dragon Age car cover, and the Dragon Age screwdriver set.

"Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Dragon Age=Next D&D? Oct 13, 2009, 11:09 Techie714

I kind of thought that was obvious from the get go, next up Dragon Age Role Playing Game.

Im betting the guys who own the D&D licence are shitting in their pants as we speak....

I have to somewhat agree with you on this it seems pretty obvious by now that Bioware wants to establish it's own "D&D" like IP. I would expect rule books, comics, modules, etc. in the near future as well as a plethora of new games based on this IP.

Although D&D is a very well established brand & it will take many years & many successes if Bioware wants that crown. But it is the 21st century & maybe Dragon Age will be the "New" D&D?

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2009, 11:11.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 11:07 Stanly Manly

This, and the DLC on day 1...

This game just oozes hubris. The attitude behind the game feels like the devs envision an already massive fanbase clamoring for every last tidbit of merchandise.

Seems more like a disneyesque "premade popstar in a box" concept. You know, where they take some unknown, make a sitcom about them being popular, and all the sudden they become popular.

Dragon Age.. the Hanna Montana of video games.

Oh, and yeah.. pass.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2009, 11:09.

4. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 10:25 StingingVelvet

The insane hype for this game is starting to get to the point where im going to pass on this title.

You sound like the goth kids in high school who hate everything the cool kids like. How does hype factor into gameplay? Some hyped games are bad, some are great...

Anyway, if the game has the dark, mature fantasy they act like it does I will be interested in more story content for sure.

3. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 10:22 necrosis

The insane hype for this game is starting to get to the point where im going to pass on this title.  

2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 10:21 InBlack

I kind of thought that was obvious from the get go, next up Dragon Age Role Playing Game.

Im betting the guys who own the D&D licence are shitting in their pants as we speak....

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Merchandizing Oct 13, 2009, 10:06 wtf_man

Novels? ROFL they think that the ADD entitlement generation takes the time to read!

That said... I think I understand all the trailer hype now... they're not just selling a game... but building a franchise.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2009, 10:09.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo