Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Rock, Paper, Shotgun- The Steamy Issue Of Digital Distribution.
Of course, if Steam were the only viable digital distribution platform (let’s say that Valve had patented the system, and no one else could compete) then this could clearly be an enormous issue. It would be a monopoly. But of course it’s not – there’s many others from the indie systems like GoG to IGN’s (and therefore News International’s) Direct2Drive. There’s GamersGate, Impulse and there’s Metaboli. Major publishers have their own online distribution services. The question is, how much of this market does Steam dominate? Is it viable for a developer or publisher to refuse their game on Steam?

PlayStation University - Electronic Arts No Longer the Evil Empire of Gaming. Who is?
What really throws me off is that Kotick isn’t even happy the price hike as is, he’s been quoted as saying “And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further.” Seriously? You’d hike the prices up even further, diminishing the respect that your user base has for the company as a whole? Don’t worry – We’re sure that Guitar Hero 12 will recoup all of those fans lost in the quest for money. Which brings me to my next point; what ever happened to Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend being published by Activision? Don’t worry – the answer is simple. Kotick only wants the company to deliver titles that they can exploit the gamer with through yearly releases, you know, like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty (though developed by different teams).

Gamesindustry.biz - Disorderly Queue.
When the uptake of the game is higher than anticipated, companies can respond to the demand by opening new servers - but this is a blunt, unfocused tool at best, and in many cases, is utterly useless as a solution. Players who have already invested time in a character don't want to start afresh on a new server. More importantly, players who have started the game with a group of their friends will find it very difficult to move en-masse to a new server. Instead, you see the spectacle of a game with a cluster of servers afflicted by huge queues, while new servers sit half-empty.

View
3. Re: Electronic Arts No Longer the Evil E Oct 12, 2009, 14:54 the_culture

Fast forward three to four years and we’re looking at an entirely different company. Electronic Arts has helped evolve the industry through this generation unlike any other publisher. Through amazingly unique titles such as Dead Space and Mirror’s Edge,

Was this written by an EA employee? While Mirror's Edge may have been somewhat unique (in perspective), Dead Space was far from it. It borrowed heavily from a ton of games, films and literature. It just happened to do it well.

No longer do you see this company trying to buy up the little guy in order to make a quick buck, but instead they’re trying to grow their company to that next level of super power that the industry has yet to see.

You may want to talk with EA Warrington, EA Chicago, EA Big, DICE Canada, Pandemic Studios Brisbane, and others.

One of the biggest examples of this turn around, in my opinion, is the Need for Speed series. Who could have predicted that Need for Speed: Shift end up so successful and offer such a great experience?

Interesting, since I hear this is getting mixed reviews. Plus he rips Activision for milking franchises, but says nothing of the milking of Madden, NBA Live, NHL Live, Tiger Woods, Rock Band, LoTR series, The Sims (and spin-offs), Need for Speed, summer movie tie-ins, Command & Conquer series, and more.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2009, 14:54.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 12, 12:46 Re: Electronic Arts No Longer the Evil E shponglefan
  2. Oct 12, 14:22  Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution the_culture
  4. Oct 12, 15:00   Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution Wowbagger_TIP
  8. Oct 12, 17:33   Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution Beamer
  10. Oct 12, 18:15    Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution the_culture
  11. Oct 12, 18:34    Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution Krovven
  13. Oct 13, 01:02     Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution Beamer
  14. Oct 13, 01:51      Re: Steamy Issue of Digital Distribution Krovven
>> 3. Oct 12, 14:54  Re: Electronic Arts No Longer the Evil E the_culture
  5. Oct 12, 15:13 Re: Op Ed ldonyo