Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On PlanetSide Next

What Planetside Next means to me on Smed's Blog discusses recent indications that a PlanetSide sequel is in the works (thanks PlanetSide Universe). In the update Jon Smedley explains his love for the original game, and how he envisions its follow-up. Here's the conclusion:

To me, Planetside Next means we get a chance to take the essence of everything that was fun in Planetside and make it a lot better. Massive battles on a scale no other FPS will touch. None of this 64 player stuff. REALLY MASSIVE. With much better organization, and a tight focus on making sure the action is always going on, with awesome graphics.

Damn I love Planetside. I really do.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 12:30 CommunistHamster

Some sort of procedural jiggery pokery might help, so long as the new levels are recorded, and therefore still up for grabs later.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 12:25 Kxmode

Sounds good to me!  

21. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 11:07 Nate

Give me better graphics and slightly more content and I'm sold. Also, a little less capture/leave ..come back and recapture nonsense. Give us more incentive to stick out and play defense.. admittedly, i stopped playing 6 months after it was released so i dont have any idea what happened in the game.

Yeah the endless swarm capture a base, leave and then re-capture. Got kinda old after a few months. Enjoyed the action but then I started thinking, "I just helped capture this base yesterday!".

20. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 10:37 Kedyn

I'm excited. I have more fond memories of Planetside than any other game - even WoW. IMO, Planetside was the best game I ever played. I can't wait to see what they're doing for the next game. I just hope it doesn't end up being all about heavy assault again.  

19. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 09:08 InBlack

Man, I wish these guys had the licence for WH:40K......

But still FUCK YEAH!

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 07:26 Prez

hundreds of people fighting in the same battle

I never tested it, but on its release Joint Operations had a theoretical limit of 150 players. At the time, the servers would start crapping out at around 80, but that was still pretty impressive for the time, and with no fee. Planetside sounded cool, but the monthly fee made it a non-starter for me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 12, 2009, 00:30 ColoradoHoudini

Give me better graphics and slightly more content and I'm sold. Also, a little less capture/leave ..come back and recapture nonsense. Give us more incentive to stick out and play defense.. admittedly, i stopped playing 6 months after it was released so i dont have any idea what happened in the game.

I do however have a sneaky suspicion that Blizzard's next MMO is an FPS.

16. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 21:31 Hump

so they wanna make MAG?

I think you have it backwards

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

15. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 21:16 space captain

What is the point in paying a fee to play a shooter?

hundreds of people fighting in the same battle

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 21:14 Prez

Never thought a FPS MMO could work. What is the point in paying a fee to play a shooter?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 20:02 Overon

So Tribes and Planetside suffer the same problems.  

12. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 19:49 UttiniDaKilrJawa

so they wanna make MAG?  

11. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 18:42 Keith

I really liked Planetside. The battles were awesome and were usually lag free. Upgrades got you cool new items, armor, or weapons but weren't overpowering to the point that newer players got continually swamped. The only problem with it now is low population and an almost decade old graphics engine.  

10. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 16:13 J

Exploits and cheats will always be in any game. To its credit the Planetside devs did a decent job of keeping up with them but it will never be cheat free.

I realize cheats exist, but the question is are they under control? Are they on top of the cheaters or are the cheaters spoiling things?

9. Re: waaahh Oct 11, 2009, 15:34 space captain

that about sums it up

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 15:00 Hump

Have they sorted out the massive scale of cheating yet?

Exploits and cheats will always be in any game. To its credit the Planetside devs did a decent job of keeping up with them but it will never be cheat free.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 14:40 J

If they can fix the original I'll be more inclined to believe they want to make a good sequel.

Have they sorted out the massive scale of cheating yet?

6. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 14:04 space captain

for me, planetside was one of those rare games that had multiple "wow!" moments.. easily the most epic FPS game ever - by far

really REALLY looking forward to a sequel

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: On PlanetSide Next Oct 11, 2009, 14:03 JoeNapalm

Planetside had it's share of flaws, no doubt...but in its prime, it was one of the most fun and memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

I really hope they can take it and make it better.

(Of course, they won't...they'll take it and bastardize it into some consolfied micro-transaction nightmare in an attempt to line their greedy greedy pockets, and in the end it will fail, dying slowly in a dark basement somewhere, its demise heralded as an object lesson that this type of game can't work, when really it would have shone like gold had they simply concentrated on making it the best game for its niche, rather than trying to milk the widest of all possible audiences.)

((But I'm not jaded.))

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2009, 20:03.

4. Planetside... Oct 11, 2009, 14:00 JohnBirshire

is the most underrated MMO I've ever played, and I've played 50+ of them.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo