Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed

Valve announces Scavenge mode is the fourth game mode in Left 4 Dead 2, offering a couple of screenshots and details on how it will work. There are hands-on previews on G4tv.com and IGN, a Scavenge Victory gameplay video and a Scavenge Sword Gameplay Video on GameVideos (as well as a Jockey gameplay video), and here's word:

Oct 8, 2009 - Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Scavenge, the fourth game mode to be included in its upcoming zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead 2.

Scavenge mode challenges players to compete in round-based games of up to 8 players (Survivors vs. Infected). The Survivors must battle both the Infected and the clock as they collect gas cans to refuel a generator located in each map. Every can the Survivors pour into the generator scores their team a point and adds time to the clock.

On defense, the Infected team plays as the boss Infected (including the new Spitter, Jockey, and Charger). They must keep the Survivors from fueling the generator by attacking them, destroying the gas cans, or running out the clock. During a round, each team gets an opportunity to play both sides, with the round going to whichever team successfully delivers the most cans.

View
28. Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed Oct 8, 2009, 16:31 Verno

Have you even tried before? Or do you just bitch about it on forums?

Here is his email address. chetf@valvesoftware.com

Sure I've tried. I'm the person around here who tells other people to try instead of bitching on forums.

But just because they don't make immediate changes, or respond, doesn't mean they don't read and take things into consideration.

And just because he responds to you doesn't mean he's communicating well with everyone else.

Why not? Chet and many of the other devs were walking around PAX, hanging out at their booth chatting with all sorts of people. They aren't like some other devs that just hire models to stand at their booths, to look pretty and cant answer a single question about the game. Most Valve employees make themselves very accessible. One of the girls from the Valve booth saw me at the ResEvil 5 PC launch party, and invited my friends and I to the private Bungie party they were going to. They are just people, not trolls guarding a dungeon that you dare not go near.

The vast majority of the community does not have time, money or whatever to go visit Valve personally. I don't see Valve flying out to every city in the world either. Let's drop this point, it's kind of silly and obvious, I feel stupid even arguing about it. No one expects Valve to make personal visits but arguing that they do communicate if you go talk to them is kind of silly because they'd be really stupid to tell you to screw off.

Just because they dont agree about all the complaints that are made, doesnt mean they arent listening. This isnt new to L4D. People have bitched and whined constantly on the forums about balance in all of their MP games. They make some changes, others they choose to leave the way they are. No matter what they do, the bitching and whining will continue.

Doesn't answer the question and you ignored a few other points in there. I'm sure a company like Valve can employ some dude to sit around all day on forums. In fact most companies in their position as a publisher have them or use QA/PR people to do it. This costs them little and gives the community both a voice and a pair of ears.

Do you follow up or just forget about it? I've gone unanswered...then I bump the ticket, complain about how long Ive waited for a response, and then hear back. Regardless, Steam Support are not the devs and are not the people to talk to about bugs and design changes.

I don't talk to them about design changes. I talk to them about product issues and have never received a helpful response, not once. I shouldn't have to followup 10 times to get an answer, that's not a glowing defense.

Would be nice if they responded to more...regardless it's still more than what the majority of game companies do.

I don't see them doing much other than posting on a blog, hosting a lan center to help test their games or show off a new product and the occasional press release. What else are they doing exactly? That's not more than most companies. $25mil ad campaign and they can't hire someone to fix up the dedicated server? 25mil and they can't afford someone to sit and answer the forum once in awhile? Their version of community outreach is ads on UFC.

Even you have to admit it, they don't do nearly enough and certainly less than many publishers and even some developers in the industry.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 16:33.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 8, 09:32 Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed Rhett
  2. Oct 8, 10:08  Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed RyGiL
  3. Oct 8, 10:30  Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed Jow
  8. Oct 8, 12:38  Re: Game Reviews BobBob
  9. Oct 8, 13:00   Re: Game Reviews infekt
  4. Oct 8, 10:53 Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed Verno
  5. Oct 8, 11:00 Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed Veinman
  6. Oct 8, 12:20  Re: L4D2 Scavenge Mode Revealed VultureMAN