Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans

GameSpot has details on plans for DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, which they say will be released for the PC and Xbox 360 editions on November 3, the same day the game goes on sale, while the PS3 edition of the DLC will come later in the month when BioWare's RPG is released for that platform. There will be no fewer than three pieces of DLC, one being the previously announced free Blood Armor, the second is The Stone Prisoner, free with new purchases of the game, and the third is Warden's Keep, for which they have a teaser trailer. Here's word on that:

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one. Called the Warden's Keep, the DLC will add a dungeon-based quest to the game along with six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base where players can trade with merchants. It will feature a supernatural storyline set in an ancient--and possibly haunted--fortress once used as a redoubt by the Grey Wardens, the ancient order at the center of Origins' main storyline. (A magic suit of Grey Warden armor will be one of the items in the add-on.)

The Warden's Keep will be available for MSP 560 ($7) on Xbox Live Marketplace and $7 on the PC on November 3. It will cost the same price on the PlayStation Store when the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age goes on sale later in November.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

60. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:05 Beamer

Fucking EA. The game has been done and it's CLEAR they waited until the PS3 and Xbox360 versions were 100% and meanwhile they've had folk working on DLC.

This doesn't even make sense.
The PS3 version is delayed. That's just the start of the flaws.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:04 briktal

BioWare has a dedicated team working on DLC. Why wasn't it included in the main game? Because the content wasn't nearly complete by the time the main game was locked and into QA, certification and manufacturing. The main game and Warden's Keep are in different stages of development and there is no way that WK could be released with the main game at this stage.

This is the bit that bothers me the most. I mean, I don't have a problem with content being available day one that wasn't able to be finished in time to be included on the disc. But then, that entire situation/explanation suggests that if it could've been finished in time it would've been included on the disc and thus (essentially) free. I just don't understand how you go from that to releasing it day one (or day really-low-number) for $5-$10.

I don't mind the free-with-new-game DLC much, but I am a little skeptical that it became DLC just because it wasn't ready in time.

However, the game itself sounds great and I hope this doesn't detract from that too much.

Also what's up with the marketing for this and ME2?

58. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2009, 00:01 space captain

Anyone can talk a good game, but can you make one.

with a few million bucks and hundreds of staff members?? hell fucking yes. absolutely. id win GOTY every year. my games would be so good they would become an actual religion.

thats me taking your argument and throwing it on the ground. im not a part of your system!

Go forth, and kill!

57. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 7, 2009, 23:59 Jerykk

Instead of whining about it on a gaming site, I email devs with ideas and how they can better their product.

I'm sure they bring up your e-mails during design meetings...

56. Re: horse armor Oct 7, 2009, 23:55 space captain

im not sure i like the new school of game design with all of this "DLC" bullshit. it makes me think of Will Wright standing at a podium repeating the word "monetization" over and over again.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/5/27/

but at least they are providing the toolset - which you know will be used to create free content many times more exciting and fun than the DLC which you have to pay for.

im interested to see how this game will actually turn out - as im not really convinced either way at this point. but like many others of the older and jaded people here, this "day one DLC! extra combo! value SIZE!" crap just comes off as slimy rather than anything else to me. im sure the kiddies will eat it right up tho, and thats the goal anyways - so have fun with all that kiddie satiation.

Go forth, and kill!

55. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 7, 2009, 23:52 HellSlayer

Oh yes..the old school gamers that like to bitch. I am an old school gamer and I would rather give constructive feedback to developers. Instead of whining about it on a gaming site, I email devs with ideas and how they can better their product. In the end, if there are no devs, there aren't any games. We tend to shoot the hand that feed us, it really gets us no where. Most devs listens to the majority and constructive feedback. Anyone can talk a good game, but can you make one.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 23:53.

o0

54. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:50 Jerykk

Why wasn't it included in the main game? Because the content wasn't nearly complete by the time the main game was locked and into QA, certification and manufacturing.

That doesn't make much sense to me. DLC also has to go through QA and certification on consoles. PC doesn't have certification. If you could finish the DLC content, test it and submit it to certification in time for the release of the game, couldn't you have included it with the game?

53. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 23:41 Fion

In the end, gamers (especially us old school PC gamers,) like to bitch. I mean look at Valve and L4D2. How many tens of thousands of people joined the 'boycott L4D2' group? Valve spent months and probably a LOT of PR money trying to convince everyone they weren't leaving the original by the wayside.

Now it's up for pre-order and a month and a half away and it has already set the record for most pre-orders in Valve HISTORY!

So in the end, as much as we might bitch. I'm sure a TUN of us (myself included, I'm a huge Bioware fan, since MDK2 lol,) will buy this game and pay the $7 for the DLC on day one.

This is part of the wine and cheese corner of the gaming world. Uptight, jaded, & pessimistic.

Not me. I'm just masochistic. Ok maybe I'm a 'little' jaded.. hehe.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 23:43.

52. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:39 eRe4s3r

So is it EA or Bioware that produce the marketing videos? Yes those marketing videos, the ones where every gamer is ashamed to want to play this game.

For the Nwn vault comment, thats true - but what should worry you is that many of the large quest mods are superior to the original and addon campaigns of said games (Nwn1 and Nwn2) Not that thats bad - But i just wish the main campaigns wouldn't always try to be political correct ...

We will see how this measures up to Baldurs Gate 2 though

51. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 23:34 theyarecomingforyou

I'm sorry but DLC on day one strikes me as ridiculous. There's no way anyone can get much play time in, especially not with an RPG. They're basically asking for money for something that is a complete unknown. It's basically a tax for people that have been following the game and won't want to feel like they're missing out on something. That's without even discussing the merits of the DLC itself - it's either trivial, making it hard to justify the price, or it's substantial, meaning it must have been worked on while the game was still in development and then why couldn't it have been part of the game.

I'm all for DLC but I'd really like it if developers / publishers could apply some common sense. It's like giving people that pre-order bonus powers or items - they either don't affect balance (making them pointless fluff) or break the balance (undermining the experience the developers set out for).

Sorry if I seem negative, as the game itself looks very promising - all the more so now that EA have finally released their games here in the UK. And the last thing developers want to hear is general negativity about something that isn't really important in comparison to all the work that went into the game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

50. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 23:31 peonjohn

Yeah, it really is cool seeing a representative of Bioware checking in here. But that being said, you really are wasting your time here trying to appease the majority of this bunch. This is part of the wine and cheese corner of the gaming world. Uptight, jaded, & pessimistic.

I'm a supporter of dlc. It adds to the longevity of the game and am willing to fork out an additional $5 or $10 dollars along the way to experience what extra it brings to the game. That said, I wouldn't buy just any dlc, it has to be some worthwhile content involved, not just some garbage hobbled up and thrown together to make a quick buck.

Most of this backlash is just coming from the unusual event of dlc being available on day 1. I'm with some of the others when they say this may have been better received if it was delayed maybe 4-6 weeks. Doesn't seem very -I smell shit while I'm typing this. Gotta go.

49. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:31 Fion

I'm actually happy the game got delayed. Mind I wasn't at first, but I have since learned there have been major additions to the PC version because of the delay, like the ability to create your own areas. Apparently originally you had to use areas built for the game by Bioware and then could add your own content. Having a NWN2 style area mapping abilities is MUCH better.

Bring on this game!

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 23:38.

48. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:20  CrushBug 

The game was originally scheduled to launch eight months ago. You get bought by EA, and suddenly it's delayed (and delayed) again, and now gets a console launch too.
If you have had any experience with a BioWare game launch I can firmly state that all delays and target platforms rest solely at the discretion of BioWare. We chose to delay the game. We chose the platforms we want it to be on. EA acquired BioWare and Pandemic about 2 years ago and they have been supportive about our decisions, not the cause of them. We are doing exactly what we want to do on this project.

Your devs have been saying that people can create whole adventures with the toolset in as little as a week, but a keep took more than 8 months to build?
I would love to hear the context of that quote. Can we throw together a rough adventure (FedEx/KillBoss) with no VO, no music, no new content, minimal dialog and mostly combat in a week? Sure. That is not what the DLC is and your 8 months is speculation.

You can check this concept out yourself by trying out any of the free content from NWVault for NWN. Compare the quality of the content that took a week to create against some of content that took a long time to create. Good things take time and all that other 80/20 stuff.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

47. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:01 Creston

Thanks for showing up and explaining your company's decision, Derek. You're one of the few devs to still come by here, which is commendable.

Sadly, I have to say that the timing issue you raise just seems... odd.

The game was originally scheduled to launch eight months ago. You get bought by EA, and suddenly it's delayed (and delayed) again, and now gets a console launch too. You kept saying the PC delay wasn't just because EA wanted an all-platform launch, instead explaining that the extra time was needed to polish the game.

Okay, fair enough.

In that 8 months, you couldn't build a piece of DLC and add it to the original game? Why are your DLC team and main team on different schedules, if you had an 8 month delay? Your devs have been saying that people can create whole adventures with the toolset in as little as a week, but a keep took more than 8 months to build?

And it's easy to say "Well, you don't need this DLC to enjoy the game," but I can't help but notice that the one piece of DLC that the coolest is the one people have to pay for. horse blood armor probably doesn't interest anybody. A base to work out of, with (presumably) extra cool merchants is what every RPG fan wants.

I hope you can see why this leaves a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. It smells very much like "We really want to sell this game for 60 bucks" syndrome to me.

Creston

46. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:57 MMORPGHoD

Is it safe to assume the developer gets a larger percentage of the proceeds from the sale of the DLC than the retail game itself? If so, that would be a good thing.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 22:58.

45. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:53 Paranoid Jack

After readings some of the responses here I see how varied peoples reaction to something like this can. Not really a huge surprise for the BluesNews forums.

My initial response was.. cool! But then I too started to question why and how this DLC came to be ready for sales the same day as well. Now the only question I really have is... is it worth $7.00? But then that is very subjective too is it not?

I'll need to read the full review and/or description of the DLC before I decide since there will most likely be user made content within days if not hours of release. So for all you offended just chill. Decide if you want the game for what the game is and what it has to offer. Yeah, there have been quite a few marketing speed bumps since Spring but if the final product is as good as they say I for one can forgive and forget.

And not to kiss ass or anything like it... thanks for the feed-back Derek.

44. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:47 eRe4s3r

Personally i have no problem with DLC - once the mod-tools are out nobody will care. Mods for NWN1 have shown that modders can make the better story and the better RPG experience.

So seriously, as long as they release mod tools with full abilities then what does anyone here care about DLC? Don't like it, don't buy it!

43. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:39  CrushBug 

I'm starting to get the impression that what we are seeing here are game developers working on a project that they were told to work on by others that control the money.
Huh? DLC for Dragon Age came from us, the developers. We had a good experience with it and Neverwinter Nights and we think it is going to work well with Dragon Age. Only time will tell for sure.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

42. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:37 Creston

I'll definitely buy the game, but this is just nickel and dime bullshit, Bioware. Way to not get fucked to death by EA.

Creston

41. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:30 Stanly Manly

I'm starting to get the impression that what we are seeing here are game developers working on a project that they were told to work on by others that control the money.

Is that true?

If it is, I'm torn. I'd really like to reward game developers who treat players as valued customers. However, you guys also simply need to stay employed. And if your job depends on you doing what you are told to do, then I cannot fault you for that, either.

Maybe I simply have the wrong idea about the state of the game industry. Maybe publishers have game dev's by the balls.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo