Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans

GameSpot has details on plans for DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, which they say will be released for the PC and Xbox 360 editions on November 3, the same day the game goes on sale, while the PS3 edition of the DLC will come later in the month when BioWare's RPG is released for that platform. There will be no fewer than three pieces of DLC, one being the previously announced free Blood Armor, the second is The Stone Prisoner, free with new purchases of the game, and the third is Warden's Keep, for which they have a teaser trailer. Here's word on that:

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one. Called the Warden's Keep, the DLC will add a dungeon-based quest to the game along with six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base where players can trade with merchants. It will feature a supernatural storyline set in an ancient--and possibly haunted--fortress once used as a redoubt by the Grey Wardens, the ancient order at the center of Origins' main storyline. (A magic suit of Grey Warden armor will be one of the items in the add-on.)

The Warden's Keep will be available for MSP 560 ($7) on Xbox Live Marketplace and $7 on the PC on November 3. It will cost the same price on the PlayStation Store when the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age goes on sale later in November.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

80. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 04:36 Flatline

Look, it comes down to this. However the DLC was developed, whether parallel or not, it seems that that effort could have gone into the main game and so it feels like the game that we're being offered could have included more content.

Go check out Brooks' Law in Wikipedia (it's under Brooks's Law). It states that a project that is already late will become more late as people are added to it. It ties in with his book "The Mythical Man-Month", and has been around for 35 years. Look up the book title too. It's got some interesting ideas on project management.

I'll flat out say it. Doing what you would suggest would more likely delay the game even more, and potentially even end up introducing more bugs, errors, and issues into the game.

By setting up a separate team which does not interface directly with the project, and only uses output finalized by the main project, you can create further content without interrupting the work stream and introducing gamestopping bugs into the core game.

(Edited to be far more precise)

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 04:58.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 03:26 LarsWestergren

"I can say that there has yet to be a fantasy novel/movie/game that we haven't been accused of ripping off. You are so sure it's LotR, while others are adamant that it is a Song of Ice and Fire, while other are unswerving in their believe of it coming from RL Salvatore and others think it is all from The Witcher.

I suggest you play it and judge for yourself."

Fair enough. An old story can feel fresh again too, it is all in the details and the delivery. Looking forward to it.

78. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 03:20 RollinThundr

I'm fine with DLC being available right out of the gate, it beats waiting forever for it. Like the case it was with Mass Effect. In an RPG that has a good 80 hours of gameplay if you do everything the idea that it was "held back" just to sell it is a pretty rediculous statement in the first place.

Question for Derek if you're privy to having an answer obviously. I preordered the CE back in August from Gamestop/EB's website, I've since noticed that the CE is no longer even listed on their site. Is this just due to it being a limited amount and they've sold their stock on it? Or should I worry about not getting my copy due to shortages?

77. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 02:50  CrushBug 

For a few days I have visited any site that has digital download to purchase KOTOR 2. Could you tell me why this game isn't available, and if there are any plans to release KOTOR 2 for digital download purchasing?
Sorry, but BioWare has no involvement with KotOR 2. The only ones who can answer this question are either Obsidian or Lucasarts.

For all the talk of this being a fresh and mature new setting, a lot of things in the trailers feel like a generic rip-off of LOTR.
I can say that there has yet to be a fantasy novel/movie/game that we haven't been accused of ripping off. You are so sure it's LotR, while others are adamant that it is a Song of Ice and Fire, while other are unswerving in their believe of it coming from RL Salvatore and others think it is all from The Witcher.

I suggest you play it and judge for yourself.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

76. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 02:23 LarsWestergren

I have no strong opinion on DLC either way. If it gets good reviews I'll probably buy it, BUT -

For all the talk of this being a fresh and mature new setting, a lot of things in the trailers feel like a generic rip-off of LOTR. The very first trailers released looked so very much like the attack on Helms Deep. This feels a lot like the Dead Men of Dunharrow (also known as the Oathbreakers, or, ahem, the Grey Host). You know, the Rangers cursed to undeath by Isildur for breaking their oath to aid him, the guys Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas recruits.

I have the game preordered, and I look forward to it, but still I worry a bit. Is the game as generic as the trailers, or are they holding back key plot points in order not to spoil it and this stuff is just more evidence that the marketing department are on crack? ("Ok, apart from Marilyn Manson, what do kids these days like? Oh, the LOTR films of course! Lets cut together the trailers so it looks as much as them as possible, instant hit!")

75. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 01:46 Beamer

I tend to get bored with games after about 2 weeks. It doesn't really matter what game it is, I'm probably getting two weeks out of it. If I finish the game before and it has no compelling multi-player then so be it. Some games keep me far longer. I've been in the middle of my current X-COM game for a solid 8 days now; probably put hundreds of weeks into this one. Oblivion kept me longer. Saints Row 2 kept me a bit longer. Half Life 2 did, as I went back and played through immediately upon finishing (this is how really good but shorter games keep me, as I'll often play a second time on the hardest difficulty if I didn't the first time through.)

I can't think of any game that's bothered me because it's been too long. Some games I get frustrated with and put down, like the Wind Waker with its never-ending sailing, but I don't regret that they were too long, I regret that some mechanic made them not fun.
Other games, like Fallout 3, keep me longer than 2 weeks as I keep plowing through until I finish. Fallout 3 is a good example because it let you pace yourself. Having a lot of fun? Keep exploring. Getting kind of bored? Go back to the main quest.

I can only think of one or two games that I felt were too long (aside from some side-scrollers, and even then the problem is more that the climax is too long, not the game is too long. They set you up thinking you're done then go on another significant amount of time. You want to stop playing to do something but figure you're 10 minutes from the end, might as well just finish, and 45 minutes later no end in sight.) I can think of dozens that left me wanting more. In fairness, it's better to err on this side.

One of my favorite games, Jagged Alliance 2, may be one of the games that was too long. Or maybe it just got frustrating as it went on. I've started games in that one dozens of times, but only went the distance a handful. I never really thought to complain about it, though.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

74. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 01:24 Creston

Is there a time limit in which you must complete all games..? I've never understand the logic of people who claim they don't have enough time to finish games.

Yeah, I don't understand this either... People that whine that games are too long and thus never complete them are the reason we should be fucking ecstatic to get a six hour game nowadays. Because apparently, a game MUST BE FINISHED IN ONE SETTING.

kxmode, Bioware had nothing to do with KOTOR2. You'd have to ask LucasArts or Obsidian.

Creston

73. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 01:07 Kxmode

Derek,

I have a non-DA:O questions. For a few days I have visited any site that has digital download to purchase KOTOR 2. Could you tell me why this game isn't available, and if there are any plans to release KOTOR 2 for digital download purchasing? Thank you.

72. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:49 Jerykk

Too many games to play, too little time.

Is there a time limit in which you must complete all games..? I've never understand the logic of people who claim they don't have enough time to finish games. There's plenty of time. You can play an hour a day or a few hours every few days. It isn't a race. You can even play more than one game at a time. Shocking, I know.

71. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:48 StingingVelvet

As long as the content's good, the more the better for me

Pretty much... not sure why that isn't common sense. I don't doubt for a second the retail release will be worth $50 with as long as it will be, as open to replay as it will be and the modding kit it comes with.

If the DLC is worth the additional money, hooray. If not, I don't have to buy it.

Simple system.

70. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:47 Drayth

As long as the content's good, the more the better for me. A game like Baldur's Gate is like a good book, even if it's 5k pages I'm gonna work through it.

Getting pretty psyched for this game.

69. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:32 Skoll

This game sounds awesome, but it also sounds like it has WAY too much content already. 70+ hours if you are a slow paced gamer who takes his time exploring and doing side quests? I doubt I'll be interested in any more after 30 hours. Too many games to play, too little time. So I don't care if they have free or pay DLC on day 1 or 90, I'm not likely to get it either way.  

68. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2009, 00:15 space captain

Just reading this thread you all look like a bunch of spoiled brats with a high degree of self entitlement. Don't buy the DLC if you don't want it. It's that simple.

Just reading that statement you look more intelligent and knowledgeable than Freud and Jung combined. You are a master psycho-analyst. You speak nothing but the absolute truth.

Go forth, and kill!

67. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:10 Beamer

Included in all versions of the PC game are codes for two pieces of free DLC: Shale and the Blood Dragon armor. Neither pieces of DLC are included on the disk (as they were finalized separately by the DA online team on a different schedule). You can redeem those codes and download that content on day one.

And if you guys want to whine about greed, here's your in.

The game comes with codes for DLC. If you buy the game used you will probably not get these codes. Therefore used gamers get a whole game, just less of a whole game. It's incentive to buy new.

I find nothing ethically wrong with this at all, though. It's greed, sure, in that devs want to be paid for their work and they're willing to add a little reward for those that do. It's better than the stupid pre-order nonsense, as this rewards all new buyers. And used buyers don't lose out on the full game, they just miss little bonuses. So what?

People should just deal with this, as it's certain to be extremely common in the next few years. Buy new, get a code to download something cool. Buy used, don't get the code. PC gamers will probably pirate it in "protest..."

-------------

66. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:08 Umbragen

Whatever, there are lots of other games coming out. It looks to be a good season, even without all the sell outs.  

65. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2009, 00:07 Creston

Instead of whining about it on a gaming site, I email devs with ideas and how they can better their product.

Yeah, with how much you've contributed to the overall state of gaming, it's amazing they haven't put you in the Gamer Hall of Fame yet. Rolleyes

Creston

64. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:07 Prez

Crush-bug must have his flame-retardent underpants on. Bravo sir!

At the risk of adding to the din of negativity, I have to mention that I have in fact noticed a difference since Bioware was acquired by EA.

Firstly, the ad campaign for Dragon Age was, at least in my opinion, the most immature one I've seen for a Bioware game, specifically the released trailers. (It was even worse than that of Jade Empire). Not sophomoric, necessarily, but seemingly catering to the lowest common denominator. Understanding that marketing and game design are two wholly different entities, it strikes me that the obnoxious guitar-riff laden sound clips, strict focus on over-the top blood and guts combat scenes, and distinct lack of focus on the more complex (and to RPG lovers, the more desirable) aspects of what is certain to be a complex game loaded with difficult choice and meaningful consequence are straight from EA Marketing 101.

Secondly, the second I saw the day one DLC news story, my first reaction was to say, "There it is; I knew it." I hate the Sims series; not because it is a dollhouse simulator, and not because it is a casual game that moms and little girls enjoy as much as anyone, but because of the feeling I got when I tried the Sims 2. That feeling was an acute sense of deliberately un-filled holes in the gameplay left with the express purpose of being filled in later on with paid expansions. Hell, you actually feel the parts where developers might have said, don't design this any farther- leave it for an expansion pack. The game felt like such an obvious milk run by EA, where they were obviously leaving out content that would have naturally and sensibly been put into the original release, that I felt insulted by EA.

Now, in fairness, I of course haven't played the game, so it is impossible for me or anyone else to say that the same feeling of "holiness" will occur here, and in fact I'm betting that the actual experience will come across as seamless and complete without any DLC. But I have been fearing for Bioware ever since the acquisition by EA, and have been looking (perhaps too hard?) with trepidation for indications that EA will begin imposing it's brand of BS stunts and asinine pitches on you guys, so my initial reaction to this is negative, as my reaction to the entire marketing campaign has been.

Still after all that, am I going to get this game? Hell yes! Am I excited at the prospect of losing hundreds of hours playing and replaying the campaigns with different characters and choices? Damn straight. In fact, most of the people here probably are too. I think the wave of negativity you are seeing is a combination of frustration with the recent market trends of nickel-and-diming content that used to be free as done by just about everybody now, and a marked and sincere intent at calling you guys out on stuff we don't like in the effort to keep you honest. Hopefully, you will continue to remain stoic and postivie in the face of such negativity, because until I see much worse indications that the the EA empire has turned you to the dark side, I still regard you guys as one of the good guys.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 00:12.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

63. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2009, 00:06 LittleMe

Just reading this thread you all look like a bunch of spoiled brats with a high degree of self entitlement. Don't buy the DLC if you don't want it. It's that simple.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

62. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 00:06 Beamer

Fucking EA. The game has been done and it's CLEAR they waited until the PS3 and Xbox360 versions were 100% and meanwhile they've had folk working on DLC.

This doesn't even make sense.
The PS3 version is delayed. That's just the start of the flaws.

-------------

61. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 8, 2009, 00:06 Prez

Double post deleted

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 00:08.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo