Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans

GameSpot has details on plans for DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, which they say will be released for the PC and Xbox 360 editions on November 3, the same day the game goes on sale, while the PS3 edition of the DLC will come later in the month when BioWare's RPG is released for that platform. There will be no fewer than three pieces of DLC, one being the previously announced free Blood Armor, the second is The Stone Prisoner, free with new purchases of the game, and the third is Warden's Keep, for which they have a teaser trailer. Here's word on that:

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one. Called the Warden's Keep, the DLC will add a dungeon-based quest to the game along with six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base where players can trade with merchants. It will feature a supernatural storyline set in an ancient--and possibly haunted--fortress once used as a redoubt by the Grey Wardens, the ancient order at the center of Origins' main storyline. (A magic suit of Grey Warden armor will be one of the items in the add-on.)

The Warden's Keep will be available for MSP 560 ($7) on Xbox Live Marketplace and $7 on the PC on November 3. It will cost the same price on the PlayStation Store when the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age goes on sale later in November.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

100. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 10:02 RollinThundr

Don't buy it then Verno its that simple, or lose the tinfoil conspiracy hat and stop crying about it because its not going to change anything.

On the other stuff included in new copies, I personally think its a nice touch for supporting a developer that hasn't made a game I haven't enjoyed thats really all there is to it.

And if EA's marketing dollars help them sell a million more copies and allow them to continue to make games that I personally enjoy, I'm fine with that as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

99. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 09:49 Verno

No not really, I'm not of this generation that thinks its ok to pirate games, then whines and moans about DRM in the same breath, no thanks, you guys like Jerykk and the like can keep that shit to yourselves. Call me old school.

I have many beefs with Jerykk but I'll side with him when it comes to not paying $7 for a quest and a few items, your words not mine btw. How is that old school? That's new school, thats dopey Xbox college fratboy paying $10 for a map pack. He at least would probably get more play out of the mappack though.

The game was feature locked months ago and in the meantime a seperate Live team was put together to make additional content

Bullshit, a separate live team would have come up with more than a quest and some items if this had happened months ago.

I mean hell they're already giving you some extra armor that can also be used in ME2 on any platform, an extra henchman and questline for supporting them and buying the game in the first place. Don't be so greedy.

You sound like a PR guy. Oh geez some extra armor for ME2, wonderful. That has no benefit for them whatsoever except for that whole part where they make that game too. Don't be so greedy? We're talking about DLC on the first day, before the game can even be finished by any gamer. If it was one month, I'd be on your side of the aisle. If it was one week even I could at least say well that's a bit ridiculous but it's possible. You are defending retail launch DLC. Those used to be known as patches, by the by.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

98. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 09:41 briktal

It's a little hard to make this point without knowing how long after the cutoff it took to finish that DLC, but say it was 2 weeks late. Does that mean if they had a few really good weeks of productivity, avoided a few small setbacks, made it just a little bit smaller, started a few days sooner, John Q. Employee wasn't sick that one day, etc that this DLC would've instead been a part of the full game, included on the disc, not at all separate and nobody would've ever known this even happened? Ok, so it didn't make it in time. Luckily they can just cut that particular content out and put it through QA and everything when it is ready so they'd still be able to include it as part of the game day one, but just as a downloaded extra. But wait, now they are charging $7?  

97. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 09:35 RollinThundr

No not really, I'm not of this generation that thinks its ok to pirate games, then whines and moans about DRM in the same breath, no thanks, you guys like Jerykk and the like can keep that shit to yourselves. Call me old school.

The game was feature locked months ago and in the meantime a seperate Live team was put together to make additional content, considering the game was delayed an extra month they were able to finish some of that said content, its not as easy as just tossing it on the gold master like you're suggesting. Thats just not how it works.

If the content is worth paying for, I'll pay for it, if it isn't no one is holding a gun to my head forcing me to. Its really that simple. Not buying the content doesn't make your copy of the game any less complete. I mean hell they're already giving you some extra armor that can also be used in ME2 on any platform, an extra henchman and questline for supporting them and buying the game in the first place. Don't be so greedy.

96. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 09:25 Verno

The rational people that understand what code lock means, where developers stop adding things to the game so that they can QA a title to ship don't agree.

Except that there's more to a game than "code". You plan this kind of thing in advance, it is not some devs deciding to throw in overtime or "whoops we made a few extra quests".

Its 7 bucks for a new quest and items to go along with a game that's already a good 60-80 hours of gameplay if you take your time and try to do everything. Hardly the end of the world that you have a pay a few extra bucks to help support additional content and prolong the life of the title.

No one said it's the end of the world. I said I think it should be in the box. Why do I need to support additional content? They probably already committed the resources to it before the title even went gold.

I absof'inlutely hate this generation that thinks everything should just be handed to them, for free.

Are you crazy, out of your damned mind or something? You are this generation. As I'm sure Jerykk would point out, this stuff always used to be free for the PC, it's not like there is no precedent. Wrap it up in an expansion pack with some additional content, I'll buy that. Give me content that's worthwhile, not a quest and some items for $7. I'd rather pay $40 for another 40 hours of content than $7 every few months for scraps.

95. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 09:18 RollinThundr

Now all of that being said, yes it's shitty the way this game is being released, I agree with you there. No, everyone shouldn't be punished because they have differing levels of time commitment and responsibility. Day one DLC is content that should have been in the fucking box, I think most of us can agree on that one.

The rational people that understand what code lock means, where developers stop adding things to the game so that they can QA a title to ship don't agree. Its not a simple a thing as just slapping the new content into the game and shipping it, you still need to do QA to make sure it works properly and doesn't break a multitude of things, more so in a game the size that DA is.

Its 7 bucks for a new quest and items to go along with a game that's already a good 60-80 hours of gameplay if you take your time and try to do everything. Hardly the end of the world that you have a pay a few extra bucks to help support additional content and prolong the life of the title.

I absof'inlutely hate this generation that thinks everything should just be handed to them, for free.

94. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 09:00 Verno

Don't punish everyone because you can not decide or have shitty time management with your games.

Not to start a massive derail here but "time management" is a catch phrase for single dudes pretending they have girlfriends on the internet. Please stop throwing it around like there is some way to wrangle 5 hours of gaming out of every day with a job, kids and a wife. Even just a girlfriend and a job can be hard to juggle. God help you if you have non-gamer friends.

Now all of that being said, yes it's shitty the way this game is being released, I agree with you there. No, everyone shouldn't be punished because they have differing levels of time commitment and responsibility. Day one DLC is content that should have been in the fucking box, I think most of us can agree on that one.

93. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 08:58 RollinThundr

It's a problem of not being able to finish games faster than new ones you want to play are released. If you finish a game per month, but 13 games you want to buy come out each year, you'll start building up a backlog.

I highly doubt long involved RPG's fit in with that ADD mentality that you need to get every new game right away and play through it in 10 hours or less. Dragon Age isn't that type of game.

92. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 08:53 necrosis

It's a problem of not being able to finish games faster than new ones you want to play are released. If you finish a game per month, but 13 games you want to buy come out each year, you'll start building up a backlog.
Then that's a problem they will have to deal with. Don't punish everyone because you can not decide or have shitty time management with your games.

We are not talking about your livelihood here. We are talking about gaming. Pick and choose. Play later. Don't play them at all. But bowing to these morons and punishing all is just stupid.

91. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 08:51 Verno

It's especially painful if you're a multiplatform gamer who has exclusives to play on all three platforms. If you have a family then your effective play time on most non-weekend days is usually limited to zero or close to it. Gaming is a time intensive hobby, for those that don't understand I would just say one day you will graduate school and meet someone, then you'll get it.  

90. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 08:44 briktal

Is there a time limit in which you must complete all games..? I've never understand the logic of people who claim they don't have enough time to finish games. There's plenty of time. You can play an hour a day or a few hours every few days. It isn't a race. You can even play more than one game at a time. Shocking, I know.

89. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 8, 2009, 08:40 Verno

Yes, Erikson comes close in making something refreshingly new. It's not THAT new, but it reads as new. He too borrows from myths and history, but he borrows and combines all these parts in an entertaining, clever way.

Erikson is an archaeologist and it shows in his work. He combines themes and traditions from ancient cultures while weaving them into a mystical setting. An amazing author and one of the first truly original ones in the genre. Stuff like Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms is childs play in comparison in my opinion. About the only character I can point to in the series and see obvious Tolkien-esque inspiration would be Icarium/Mappo.

88. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 07:24 eRe4s3r

Indeed - But you can't do much about that ;/ I see you mean literalistic ripping of Tolkien.. i thought you meant image and design wise ^^

Everything, even books start to become the same story and concept wise if you read enough enough of them. In many ways reading too many books might harm your enjoyment ability of other media - if you know most or all of the general concepts of story building and clichés and tropes then it all gets dull pretty fast.

Speaking of that, actual fresh fantasy.. with worlds i haven't yet seen before.. the only thing that even remotely comes close to that would be the Mask of the Betrayer addon for NwN2 that was pretty unique .. Sadly it plays in an utterly generic DnD setting - so besides the story and location it wasn't unique enough ;p

The only game that broke conventions was probably Planescape Torment..

87. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 06:32 ibm

I'd rather see expansion packs than this leeching. They are usually self contained area's with suitable itemisation. DLC is far too random and rarely fits well into the existing game with regards to player level and current progression. I won't be buying any DLC, it's bad enough I play mmo's which charge a monthly fee.

New items, weapons, armour etc are totally pointless in single player games anyway, who is the player showing this new and cool stuff to? Is the existing itemisation bad? New areas and quests, fine, they extend gameplay. 'Better' weapons and armour tend to have the opposite effect.

86. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 8, 2009, 06:19 Kajetan

Malazan, read it

Yes, Erikson comes close in making something refreshingly new. It's not THAT new, but it reads as new. He too borrows from myths and history, but he borrows and combines all these parts in an entertaining, clever way.

85. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 8, 2009, 05:55 Doma

Ahem.

Please show me one fantasy setting that isn't alternate history, a retelling of an old myth, nor is a rip off of Tolkien somehow.

Malazan, read it

84. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 05:36 Kxmode

For a few days I have visited any site that has digital download to purchase KOTOR 2. Could you tell me why this game isn't available, and if there are any plans to release KOTOR 2 for digital download purchasing?

Sorry, but BioWare has no involvement with KotOR 2. The only ones who can answer this question are either Obsidian or Lucasarts.

Oh. My apologies. I did not know. Thanks for clarifying.

kxmode, Bioware had nothing to do with KOTOR2. You'd have to ask LucasArts or Obsidian.

Thanks Creston. I know now.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 05:38.

83. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 05:08 Flatline

Gothic 2 / Gothic 1 / Drakensang are not ripping off Tolkien

A 30-second wikipedia scan of the plots shows all kinds of elements of those games you could point to as being derivative, highly, of either Tolkien or Euro/Asian myth cycles.

But I should have clarified, I meant literary fantasy. I've yet to see any video games that break from the literary fantasy genre cleanly and go in their own direction.

Even then, if you *really* want to break it down, standard fantasy is almost entirely a slave to the monomyth.

When you say rehashing old myths you mean to say rehashing old and well known myths

Yes, but let's be honest. Myths that we can identify with and use for storytelling purposes will resonate with the audience and therefore need to be familiar in some capacity. I can use the Hindu story of creation, or the Welsh myth cycles as story elements, but again they fall into the monomyth structure, and as a result are psychically satisfying and familiar in themselves, it's just the names which are unfamiliar.

Fantasy, and to a lesser extent sci-fi, taps into our subconsious and into what Jung might have referred to as archetypes (as Campbell liked to rely on), therefore, by definition, successful fantasy *must* be derivative, else it isn't satisfying.

That's not to disparage fantasy. Every now and again someone figures out a way to give the wheel another kick and keep it spinning, but in the end, it's the same stories and the same concepts being tread and retread.

82. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 04:55 eRe4s3r

Gothic 2 / Gothic 1 / Drakensang are not ripping off Tolkien

That said, what you say is extremely weird because most games haven't even touched decent myths and mythological backgrounds yet. Though i agree that most mainstream mythology is sucked dry. We haven't even seen 1% of the mythology of this world properly realized in games yet.

Yes, Greek, Japanese and Chinese one should definitely be OUT - But lets just make a game about the Nibelungen Saga or Irish/Welsh myths. And out from that we could even move into India and related regions to find many more interesting mythologies to source from.

When you say rehashing old myths you mean to say rehashing old and well known myths

Dragon Age does seem very Tolkien influenced though. Mainly because it has Dwarves that look very much alike to standard DnD conventions even in their architecture..

81. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 04:47 Flatline

For all the talk of this being a fresh and mature new setting, a lot of things in the trailers feel like a generic rip-off of LOTR.

Ahem.

Please show me one fantasy setting that isn't alternate history, a retelling of an old myth, nor is a rip off of Tolkien somehow.

Even most fantasy writers admit that they're all just endlessly rehashing old myths and following in LOTR's footsteps. The ones that don't are too egotistical to admit the truth.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo