Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans

GameSpot has details on plans for DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, which they say will be released for the PC and Xbox 360 editions on November 3, the same day the game goes on sale, while the PS3 edition of the DLC will come later in the month when BioWare's RPG is released for that platform. There will be no fewer than three pieces of DLC, one being the previously announced free Blood Armor, the second is The Stone Prisoner, free with new purchases of the game, and the third is Warden's Keep, for which they have a teaser trailer. Here's word on that:

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one. Called the Warden's Keep, the DLC will add a dungeon-based quest to the game along with six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base where players can trade with merchants. It will feature a supernatural storyline set in an ancient--and possibly haunted--fortress once used as a redoubt by the Grey Wardens, the ancient order at the center of Origins' main storyline. (A magic suit of Grey Warden armor will be one of the items in the add-on.)

The Warden's Keep will be available for MSP 560 ($7) on Xbox Live Marketplace and $7 on the PC on November 3. It will cost the same price on the PlayStation Store when the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age goes on sale later in November.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

120. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 9, 2009, 01:01 RollinThundr

Posted 10/08/09 19:19 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

I'll refute it here if it will make you feel better.

The Warden's Keep was created by members of the DAO team while the rest of the team worked on finishing the PC and console versions. It was never in the core game and has been added in once the core game is complete. This extra team is working on more DLC for the coming months. We have lots of plans in the works for coolness to come.

Shale (the Stone Prisoner) WAS originally going to be in the core game. However, Shale was cut as the team could not get things such as pathfinding, etc working correctly in time to meet our projected release date. Back when DAO was going to be released back in the spring of 2009, the decision was made to cut him. Since the team had extra time once the release date was moved to November, the Dev team worked to fix the outstanding issues and included this back into the game as Day 1 DLC.

Blood Dragon Armor. This was added in a few months ago as a cool way to tie both Dragon Age and Mass Effect together.

There. Refuted yet?

Evil

Well there you go Verno, two devs saying exactly the same thing I suggested.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

119. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 21:42 Noctis

Why wouldn't they include this with the rest of the game? Sound's like B.S. to me.

BioWare has a dedicated team working on DLC. Why wasn't it included in the main game? Because the content wasn't nearly complete by the time the main game was locked and into QA, certification and manufacturing. The main game and Warden's Keep are in different stages of development and there is no way that WK could be released with the main game at this stage.

There is a long held belief that main game content is being removed and sold separately. This is not the case. The content is being developed in parallel by a dedicated team.

None of our DLC is required to enjoy Dragon Age: Origins, but we hope you will give some of it a try or at least arm yourself with reviews from trusted sources (whether it's Gamespot or your Uncle Ray) and make your own decision.

Derek,

I am aware of the parallel team and know that it wouldn't have been included on disk. I am also aware that Warden's Keep is being used as a bargaining chip to sell the Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition. There is simply no reason that they couldn't have included a download code for everyone that pre-ordered. I understand it's away to leverage the download edition. However, no matter the amount of flowers you try to shovel onto it, everyone will still feel screwed by this. That is of course, other than the download users.

I'm sorry I still value ownership of my games. My psyche tells me to cancel my pre-order edition and wait to see if there will be a game of the year edition with this include to get the most value out of my purchase. This of course will also be when it's around 30$ and saves me quite a bit of money. Also, I am a person that doesn't buy downloadable content ever, so if it's not included with the boxed edition, then I won't buy it. I see what companies are trying to do. De-value ownership and I don't like it. I don't want to imagine the day when you need to pay a subscription fee to play a single player game.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 21:49.

118. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 19:31 Yakubs

Just wanted to throw in my two cents: when Dragon Age was first announced I was quite excited - BG2 is one of my favorite games of all time but I flat out disliked most Bioware games after that. A return to BG? Yes, please! Since then, every new piece of information released on DA has muted my enthusiasm drastically.

- Console release: how could you play BG2 on a console? You couldn't. The interface, party size, and amount of tactical options were too big. So right off the bat I know this game is going to be "streamlined."

- "Mature" marketing campaign: ads and previews focusing on blood, gore, X-TREEM conversations, and sex scenes. The only people who think of these things as mature are teens. Then we get a Marilyn Manson song as icing on the (rotting) cake. Uh, yeah. Maturity is a product of depth and subtlety - neither of which this game appear to have given the console streamlining and the IN YO MUTHAFUGGIN FACE tone.

As it stands, the game looks like a parody of the fantasy genre and I'm not even sure BioWare is in on their own joke.

117. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 17:37 The PC Warrior

They were really bad and worst of all is that they don't do anything to show off the important aspects of the game! I'm certain they were aiming at a younger crowd but those guys are going to be off playing Call of Duty and whatever this holiday season. It's going to be the PC gamers who really help this franchise out. Don't forget your roots!  

116. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 17:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Gotta agree about the marketing. The videos were horrible and made the game look like some kind of mindless hacknslash game. Definitely not the kind of game that fans of Bioware are generally looking for, especially in one that is supposed to be something of a modern successor to the BG throne. Please find the marketing people responsible for this and slap them until they lose consciousness.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

115. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 17:17 The PC Warrior

Maybe you could pass this on to someone at Bioware Crushbug. I was really excited about the game until the advertising started with it's lowest common denominator appeal. The rock music felt ridiculous and out of place, the various web videos didn't really do much to show off the game and I felt like they were aiming at a 13 year old demographic. I might buy Dragon Age, I'm not sure. I was really excited when I heard about the game initially but this is the first game I've seen in a long time where the ads actually made me want to avoid it.

I'll wait for a demo because I still feel like I don't have a good grasp on the gameplay despite looking around online.

114. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 16:57 dryden555

i must not be the consumer these game companies are looking for because the "exciting" press" annoucement that there will be DLC immediately upon release just makes me want to wait 3 months when the game will be cheaper, thereby making the various bits of DLC less a rip-off should I want them.  

113. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 16:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, if it's just a summary, then that kind of makes sense. It just doesn't say anywhere that it's a summary. Only hint I see is this line from the review:
"Attempting to summarize the experience of Dragon Age in a few paragraphs is almost ridiculous given the depth of the game’s content."
I do like his comments on the party system working sort of like the gambits in FFXII though, that was a fantastic setup that deserves duplication.
One of the previews I read went into more depth on that. Apparently the AI for your party is very configurable. There are apparently a ton of settings available to let you tweak their behavior down to the minutiae.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 16:19.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

112. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 14:34 Verno

If you're referring to this then yeah that's just an embarrassingly hasty review without any depth. I do like his comments on the party system working sort of like the gambits in FFXII though, that was a fantastic setup that deserves duplication.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

111. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 14:29  CrushBug 

Go check out Brooks' Law in Wikipedia (it's under Brooks's Law). It states that a project that is already late will become more late as people are added to it. It ties in with his book "The Mythical Man-Month", and has been around for 35 years. Look up the book title too. It's got some interesting ideas on project management.

By setting up a separate team which does not interface directly with the project, and only uses output finalized by the main project, you can create further content without interrupting the work stream and introducing gamestopping bugs into the core game.
QFMFT.
Wow. That Game Informer review that CrushBug linked to was pretty crappy. I read previews that had at least five times as much info about the game. Can't believe their review was just a one-page quickie thing.
That is because it is a summary of their magazine review which is full and complete. With pictures, even!
While this may or may not be the case for your game...there have been many examples of paid DLC, that once purchased was merely unlocked and was just on the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and no download was required other than an unlock key.
Correct and this is not the case with Dragon Age as you will have to download the content, since we are still working on some of it.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

110. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 14:22 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow. That Game Informer review that CrushBug linked to was pretty crappy. I read previews that had at least five times as much info about the game. Can't believe their review was just a one-page quickie thing.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 14:23.

109. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 13:08 Onyx

CrushBug says: "I suggest you play it and judge for yourself."

That's a very convenient thing for Bioware to say. Especially considering Bioware does not release demos for their games. Play (*pay*) the game and then make judgements.

Anyway, I've seen quite a few DA videos and screenshots. There's not a single one with trees having shadows. What is it? The eclipse engine can't render tree shadows?
It looks weird - tall trees without shadows and next to them a few pillars with shadows.

108. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 12:50 Krovven

There is a long held belief that main game content is being removed and sold separately.

While this may or may not be the case for your game...there have been many examples of paid DLC, that once purchased was merely unlocked and was just on the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and no download was required other than an unlock key.

107. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 12:29 JohnnyRotten

To me, the DLC primarily appears aimed at monetizing the resale market. I have little doubt the DLC will be available via online purchase only as this has the potential to net the company more sales on every resale. Look at the conditions:

• Warden's Keep - "it is included in the Deluxe Digital Edition" (the most expensive version)

• The Stone Prisoner - "which is free to anyone who has preordered or buys any edition of Dragon Age new"

• Blood Armor - "included at no cost with new copies of the game"

• Another problem I have here is that for me, the concept of "content" has been morphed into "core game play". These isn't just an additional area to explore, but instead changes how the game works:

• Warden's Keep - "six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base"

• The Stone Prisoner - "unlocking numerous story options", "they're commenting on areas as you visit them"

• Blood Armor - "provide upgraded protection for players"

• To defuse the "companies have a right to make money" argument - I would counter with the "I have a right to spend my money as I choose" counter argument. Companies that deliver products that don't work to what I believe is their full potential until I hand over more money will not be getting my business. If I really want this product, I'll wait until what I feel is the full product (in this case game + DLC) is on sale for a price equal to or less then the original basic product price.

I also think the arguments that the game couldn't have been released on time with the DLC in the product is just a red herring. Since the DLC IS being released with the product, if the DLC would have caused delays, then those delays did happen.

As a side note, I don't find it all that surprising that all the rhetoric from developers and publishers about how things like DRM (reduced piracy) and digital delivery (reduced distribution costs) would reduce the cost of games seems to have vanished now that we have both. Add to that the limited and heavily controlled use (and even installation!) of something we own and function crippled products and we end up with where we are today*.

* A little hyperbole of my own for fun.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 13:01.

106. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 12:09 Stanly Manly

All will be forgiven if you guys make a Baldur's Gate 3 in classic isometric view.

105. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 11:46 Tumbler

The trailer of the Stone Prisoner looked pretty cool. The other stuff was rather blah. I'd think that better marketing would have made this whole thing a lot smoother. Maybe 2 weeks or a month later make the wardens Keep available? This way looks like it's just trying to get more money for the game regardless if that is the case or now.  
    99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
    Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

104. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 11:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Go check out Brooks' Law in Wikipedia (it's under Brooks's Law). It states that a project that is already late will become more late as people are added to it. It ties in with his book "The Mythical Man-Month", and has been around for 35 years. Look up the book title too. It's got some interesting ideas on project management.

Yeah, I've read the book. It doesn't apply to all cases or every type of position within a project. They obviously have the DLC ready for release with the game, so presumably it's been tested with the game. Creating additional content for a game is one of those types of activities that you can actually throw more people at, because they are doing something that is not impacting the core components of the game, and in the case of this sort of thing, is even outside of the main campaign. Perfect case for parallel development. The question is whether that development should have been included with the game rather than being something else to be paid for on day one. It could simply be offered as an additional download.

I'm just going to have to wait and see what the quality is like and what the reviews say. I've always liked Bioware games. Well, Jade Empire was a stinker, and Mass Effect had some good ideas, but ultimately felt rather repetitive and simplistic. They haven't been going in the right direction with things. I'm hoping this game is a return to the right path for them. I just don't want to see a bunch of crap DLC like we got with Oblivion. It was pathetic how generic and half-baked that stuff was. Frostcrag was practically empty and had to be completely redone by modders to make it into a worthy addition to the game (which also had to be redone by modders).

Not to start a massive derail here but "time management" is a catch phrase for single dudes pretending they have girlfriends on the internet. Please stop throwing it around like there is some way to wrangle 5 hours of gaming out of every day with a job, kids and a wife. Even just a girlfriend and a job can be hard to juggle. God help you if you have non-gamer friends.
    That's my situation right there. Married, working full-time, non-gamer friends. I'm lucky if I get 5 hours a week, let alone a day. I'll still play a game like this for months, and probably replay it after several more months. I definitely don't want to see shorter games. I like big games with a lot to explore and do. I hope Bioware keeps making them like that.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 11:19.

103. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 10:39 Verno

Its not like you were going to buy it anyway to begin with. You come off as one of those pirate first type of guys anyway.

*yawn* You're going to have to do better than that. Your probable reason was debunked and you have offered no counter so far. If a live team started after "code lock", we'd have a lot more meat on that DLC bone.

If I was going to play the opposite on this, I'd say they were using the DLC to help defray losses from used copies and rental services like Gamefly/Goozex. Someone picking up the game on Gamefly might be tempted to grab the DLC, it happens and helps offset that person never actually buying a copy of the game. That'd be a much better argument than "don't buy it you pirate!".

But its not the big deal you seem to want to make it out to be.

If the base game itself is a great value then that's great and wonderful. You brought that up though as if it should justify releasing DLC on release day. So why are you here defending it then? No big deal right, much ado about nothing? Yeah the industry growing trend of DLC gouging isn't a big deal, who cares man it's just money and money's just paper after all *whoa duuuuuuude* that's so deep. No one said it's a national crisis, stop acting like people are dancing around waving their arms like maniacs. It's called criticism and in this case it's warranted.

I am all for DLC by the way, I spend most of my time split between consoles and the PC so I'm used to it. Strong DLC can make a good game outstanding or sour an experience. Saint's Row 2 is a good example of bad DLC in an otherwise great game. I did not expect this kind of thing from Bioware of all companies.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2009, 10:49.

102. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 10:16 RollinThundr

Oh I won't but stop defending the indefensible as if it were entirely reasonable when you can't even counter logic with anything but "ok don't buy it".

I already gave a probable valid reason why they did it the way they did but that wasn't good enough for you. Its not like you were going to buy it anyway to begin with. You come off as one of those pirate first type of guys anyway.

Do you honestly believe that $7 of work per gamer went into it? No you don't, otherwise you'd have a better argument than "don't buy it"
    Does it suck that it isn't free? Yep. Can I know without playing it if its worth one Wendy's value meal? Nope, don't know. But its not the big deal you seem to want to make it out to be.

101. Re: Dragon Age DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 10:07 Verno

Don't buy it then Verno its that simple

Oh I won't but stop defending the indefensible as if it were entirely reasonable when you can't even counter logic with anything but "ok don't buy it".

or lose the tinfoil conspiracy hat and stop crying about it because its not going to change anything.

No one is crying about it nor is anyone alleging some vast conspiracy involving black helicopters and a ninja squad sent to assassinate someone. It's a smart business move but I'm not going to give them accolades for it as a consumer when it's designed to ding me.

And if EA's marketing dollars help them sell a million more copies and allow them to continue to make games that I personally enjoy, I'm fine with that as well.

It's a missed opportunity. They could have given away this tiny DLC for free and used that to further sell people on future content. Can't even use the XBL patch certification excuse, first patch is always free there. Do you honestly believe that $7 of work per gamer went into it? No you don't, otherwise you'd have a better argument than "don't buy it".

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo