Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans

GameSpot has details on plans for DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, which they say will be released for the PC and Xbox 360 editions on November 3, the same day the game goes on sale, while the PS3 edition of the DLC will come later in the month when BioWare's RPG is released for that platform. There will be no fewer than three pieces of DLC, one being the previously announced free Blood Armor, the second is The Stone Prisoner, free with new purchases of the game, and the third is Warden's Keep, for which they have a teaser trailer. Here's word on that:

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one. Called the Warden's Keep, the DLC will add a dungeon-based quest to the game along with six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base where players can trade with merchants. It will feature a supernatural storyline set in an ancient--and possibly haunted--fortress once used as a redoubt by the Grey Wardens, the ancient order at the center of Origins' main storyline. (A magic suit of Grey Warden armor will be one of the items in the add-on.)

The Warden's Keep will be available for MSP 560 ($7) on Xbox Live Marketplace and $7 on the PC on November 3. It will cost the same price on the PlayStation Store when the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age goes on sale later in November.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

20. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:37 GayBlade

Since I will no doubt want the DLC, I think I will just wait until it is offered for free or until Dragon Age is in the bargain bin before I purchase this game.

I just don't see paying more on day one for content. Call me old fashioned as well, but this feels wrong.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:28 Stanly Manly

Its an unusual thing when you hear a person involved in the game industry voice their point of view on an issue. In this case, its apparent that nothing was "taken out" of the game in order to charge more on day 1 for the "full" product.

However, many gamers were "raised" on the idea that 100% of the effort should have gone into providing more content into the original game, and that DLC on day 1 shouldn't be necessary. I'd wager that many gamers feel it is a shady business practice altogether, and will want nothing to do with it.

You've already made the choice. Maybe I'm just "old fashioned", and I, along with other gamers like me, aren't even your target market. It seems to me that its a quick grab for cash, as opposed to actually providing something that fans of the game want (since it hasn't even been released yet).

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry, but I'm passing on your game.

18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:28  CrushBug 

I think this would feel better if Bioware said, hey, here's a free DLC on day one as reward for purchasing the game.
We are doing that. Infact, we are giving you two pieces of free DLC.

Included in all versions of the PC game are codes for two pieces of free DLC: Shale and the Blood Dragon armor. Neither pieces of DLC are included on the disk (as they were finalized separately by the DA online team on a different schedule). You can redeem those codes and download that content on day one.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:23  CrushBug 

Even if the DLC is being developed separately and couldn't have made it into the main game as you say, why not hold off for a couple of weeks at least rather than give users a perceived slap in the face by releasing paid content day and date with the game? Whether or not it was cut from the original game, that's the impression such action gives and it's something that could have been easily avoided.
That is an interesting point. I guess if we did remove game content and sell it to you then that would be insulting. It is not something that I would ever want to be involved in.

In this case, we have tried to make more content for Dragon Age and have an extended plan to release content in various sizes, forms and costs (some for free). We hope this gives Dragon Age a long life and a vibrant community and we do hope our content sells well. This will allow us to further support Dragon Age and the community and the Toolset similar to what happened with Neverwinter Nights. I am not sure what I can do about perceived slights other than try and openly communicate with you all.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

16. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 20:23 Bundy

You can get Dragon Age off Impulse, I'm pretty sure.  

15. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:23 GayBlade

I think this would feel better if Bioware said, hey, here's a free DLC on day one as reward for purchasing the game. Instead, this feels like a slap in the face. I buy your game and then you want more on the same day?

Bioware, your timing stinks! Grow some brains and think about how this might make folks, who are already strapped for cash, feel after shelling out for your game.

14. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:13  CrushBug 

Still day 1 DLC always bugs me. As an old PC gamer I used to get this shit for FREE. Now I have to pay for it.
No you didn't. We certainly haven't had free downloadable content for our games in any recent memory, aside from BDtS for Mass Effect 1 PC. But I don't think that qualifies as something we have always done.

If it's the timing that bothers you, you could always pretend that it doesn't exists for month or so.

Sorry, we don't have any public announcements about Steam at this time.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

13. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:12 Parallax Abstraction

Even if the DLC is being developed separately and couldn't have made it into the main game as you say, why not hold off for a couple of weeks at least rather than give users a perceived slap in the face by releasing paid content day and date with the game? Whether or not it was cut from the original game, that's the impression such action gives and it's something that could have been easily avoided.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

12. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:09 Fion

Did I mention it's sweet as hell to get an actual Bioware dev on the Bluesnews forums?  

11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:08  CrushBug 

What happened to more expansion-type releases that were only $20 or so?
Those items, either by digital or retail are still in the works.
Instead, there is day one DLC which, just by itself, hold very little regard for the actual game. And by game, I mean 95% of the final product, that 5% intentionally being left out for an extra charge on day one.
This is not the case; please see my previous post.

If you don't want to pay for our content, that is fair. We still have a Toolset for Dragon Age and we hope you try out some of the thousands of free user created content items that will get made.

We have done this before with Neverwinter Nights, albeit with different timing. The experience with NWN and the Premium Modules was very positive for us and the community. It allowed us to keep supporting for NWN for another year or two and provided more new source content for the Toolset users.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

10. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:06 Fion

At least 2/3 DLC are free. Still day 1 DLC always bugs me. As an old PC gamer I used to get this shit for FREE. Now I have to pay for it.

I understand the content is made by a separate team, but us old gamers got this stuff for free and day 1 content you have to pay for stinks of EA greediness.

I still plan on getting it, but not on Day 1 to be sure.

And can we get this game on Steam? PLEASE!?!?

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 20:09.

9. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:05 The Half Elf

Not only is it DLC on day one, but it's so freaking cliche... A place filled with ghosts that once you clear them out you get a base of operations and the ability to buy/sell everything in it.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:01  CrushBug 

Why wouldn't they include this with the rest of the game? Sound's like B.S. to me.
BioWare has a dedicated team working on DLC. Why wasn't it included in the main game? Because the content wasn't nearly complete by the time the main game was locked and into QA, certification and manufacturing. The main game and Warden's Keep are in different stages of development and there is no way that WK could be released with the main game at this stage.

There is a long held belief that main game content is being removed and sold separately. This is not the case. The content is being developed in parallel by a dedicated team.

None of our DLC is required to enjoy Dragon Age: Origins, but we hope you will give some of it a try or at least arm yourself with reviews from trusted sources (whether it's Gamespot or your Uncle Ray) and make your own decision.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

7. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:56 ldonyo

This move has EA's greed-stink all over it. I really wanted to get this game, but I may pass it up on principle because of BS moves like this.  

6. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:51 Ray Marden

It's kind of the problem with DLC in general.

What happened to both the creator and the end user getting "more" by utilzing a digitl delivery system? What happened to more expansion-type releases that were only $20 or so?

Instead, there is day one DLC which, just by itself, hold very little regard for the actual game. And by game, I mean 95% of the final product, that 5% intentionally being left out for an extra charge on day one.
Moar horrse armurz!
Then again, people buy it so........

Shrugging,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

5. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:35 ASJD

Not the new shit, just plain old shit.

The only fools were the ones that thought Dragon Age would be anything but.

4. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:25 Fion

Fucking EA. The game has been done and it's CLEAR they waited until the PS3 and Xbox360 versions were 100% and meanwhile they've had folk working on DLC.

Day 1 DLC = content that was created for the game and taken out to make people pay for it separately.

Fucking EA.

3. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:22 Bhruic

Game isn't even out, and they already have paid DLC... Damn that's sad.  

2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:17 Noctis

Why wouldn't they include this with the rest of the game? Sound's like B.S. to me.  

1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 19:13 Prez

Wondering why anyone would need new content on the day the game goes on sale, seeing how the whole game is new content at that point!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo