Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans

GameSpot has details on plans for DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, which they say will be released for the PC and Xbox 360 editions on November 3, the same day the game goes on sale, while the PS3 edition of the DLC will come later in the month when BioWare's RPG is released for that platform. There will be no fewer than three pieces of DLC, one being the previously announced free Blood Armor, the second is The Stone Prisoner, free with new purchases of the game, and the third is Warden's Keep, for which they have a teaser trailer. Here's word on that:

BioWare today announced that Dragon Age: Origins will get its first downloadable expansion on day one. Called the Warden's Keep, the DLC will add a dungeon-based quest to the game along with six new abilities, a variety of items, and a base where players can trade with merchants. It will feature a supernatural storyline set in an ancient--and possibly haunted--fortress once used as a redoubt by the Grey Wardens, the ancient order at the center of Origins' main storyline. (A magic suit of Grey Warden armor will be one of the items in the add-on.)

The Warden's Keep will be available for MSP 560 ($7) on Xbox Live Marketplace and $7 on the PC on November 3. It will cost the same price on the PlayStation Store when the PlayStation 3 version of Dragon Age goes on sale later in November.

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

40. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 22:28 MattyC

I've never played a Bioware game I didn't like, and I can't see that changing any time soon. Blizzard and Bioware have kind of earned the benefit of the doubt at this point where even if I don't like all they do, I'll at least give it a shot.

That is kind of how I feel on this issue. Some developers have earned more "credit" if you will from me than others. Blizzard and Bioware are two that top that list. They have proven again and again that if I give them my money they will give me something I will enjoy in return.

They could spend all that credit with a few bad moves, but as of now, I will assume that if they tell me I am getting a game I will enjoy and some extra content on day 1, that is the truth. I feel the same way about the splitting up of StarCraft 2.

Like I said a dev can lose that credit. Epic had a lot with me because of how long they support their games, the free added content, and the effort they put into editing tools that come with the games. They have lost some (though hardly all) of that lately. Bioware, however, is still sitting firmly in the black, so I see no reason not to take them at their word.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 22:20 PropheT

CrushBug, thanks for being active in here. Just do yourself a favor, only wander in for limited amounts of time. These forums can break the strongest and most resilient among us.

Yeah, I'll second that. I've actually wondered for years if the majority of people who post here even actually -like- gaming

I've never played a Bioware game I didn't like, and I can't see that changing any time soon. Blizzard and Bioware have kind of earned the benefit of the doubt at this point where even if I don't like all they do, I'll at least give it a shot.

Besides, it's nice to see somebody taking a risk and interacting with the community in general rather than just the diehard fans who live on the official boards, too. That's pretty rare these days.

38. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:10  CrushBug 

These forums can break the strongest and most resilient among us.
Bah, this is nothing. I was on duty during launch day of Neverwinter Nights.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

37. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:04  CrushBug 

However the DLC was developed, whether parallel or not, it seems that that effort could have gone into the main game and so it feels like the game that we're being offered could have included more content.
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Most game development is on a budget and the "people hose" almost never fixes the problems you hope it does. More doesn't automatically equal better or faster. Now setting up a different team on a different budget with revenue from the content it makes is something that can be done. But if you want to add 30 more people to the main team (doing what, I have no idea) with no budget, that would get shot down pretty fast so the idea doesn't really work.
Oh yeah, and god help you if there are any major issues with the game. Then you're really going to catch hell for having other people working on DLC to sell on day one.
Well Desslock said in a recent Qt3 post:
I can't even imagine how difficult this game was to QA, given all the choices and variations, etc. -- crashed zero times in 121 hours, no bugs, one incorrect journal entry (which had no affect on gameplay). It's actually amazing that there weren't evident scripting errors. Actually maybe one incident I can think of where characters acted like you had knowledge of something that I hadn't actually scene. but very clean technically.
There are always technical issues with PC games and we do our best to help people figure out what the problem is, but there are only so many of us and so many million of you, so we are a little out matched.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

36. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:00 Bucky

My initial reflex is to write a long, outraged post. I'm one of those old-school PC gamers who hasn't quite adjusted to the new economics. There are those that will say I shouldn't, but it's a simple choice really--do I want the game (and DLC) or not? Bioware has yet to let me down, so yeah, I'll be buying this on day one along with the DLC.

CrushBug, thanks for being active in here. Just do yourself a favor, only wander in for limited amounts of time. These forums can break the strongest and most resilient among us.

35. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:56 PHJF

Neglecting the obvious problem (assuming, even before release, your game is sooooooo good that players will be shouting,"SELL ME MORE CONTENT!!!!" before they've even said, "there, I've beaten the game.")...

The fact that you (not you personally, of course) have chosen to assign team members to extraneous content before finishing the game proper has made certain two things:

1. This had better be the best-optimized, most-polished game I've ever played

and

2. There had better not be a single fucking bug in the game

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:56 ASJD

I do understand the economics of development has changed, and that it requires high ups in publishers to change their ways.

However, there are many ways I disagree with current development.

Most gamers won't care if you don't spend quite so much on high graphics fidelity ambitions (as in hiring artists). Many gamers would prefer you spend less on marketing (which I hear in some cases can be many times the size of the development budget).

I understand marketing is a big factor in bringing in sales, but that's where a large chunk of development costs are going anyways.

What consistently baffles me is how we're getting lower quality but prettier versions of games we got years ago in many cases. Is there a chance of a JRPG as good as Chrono Trigger today? No, because of graphics, voice acting, and marketing costs.

I believe the slowing graphics push on PC, longer console cycle and success of Wii, DS, and iPhone show that these pursuits are only hurting games and game development. What gamers care about in the end is gameplay. Games don't have to cost so much to develop.

33. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:50  CrushBug 

However, many gamers were "raised" on the idea that 100% of the effort should have gone into providing more content into the original game, and that DLC on day 1 shouldn't be necessary. I'd wager that many gamers feel it is a shady business practice altogether, and will want nothing to do with it.
Game development and the economics around it have changed in the last 9 years that I have been in the industry. I am not sure if BioWare would still exist if we developed games the same way we did years ago, DLC or not.

In the end, if you don't purchase any DLC you will still get a complete and full game. But don't take my word for it. Find a reviewer you trust and see if what they say about Dragon Age resonates with you. So far, on just the game alone, Game Informer gave it a 9.0 and said:
A speed demon could blow through the main story in 40 hours, but thorough players can expect about 70.
I am sorry if that sounds like an incomplete game to some of you because of an optional DLC announcement.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

32. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:35 ASJD

To the Bioware guy. Look it's simple, in many gamers perceptions you have compromised your design over and over with Dragon Age.

You go from PC only to consoles too. The Marlyn Manson marketing campaign and the focus on the gore & sex. Now this.

To any person looking from the outside it looks like you've taken bits of the game out of the game because you want people to pay more than full price. People need to preorder to receive yet another bit, basically we have to guarantee we're buying the game before we even know if it's any good.

To me it looks like either Bioware's people or EA are trying to milk us, rip us off. 10 years ago I DID get 100% of many games that were released and that is still true.

DLC is fine, but don't tell me you'll sell me 90% of a game at full price. It doesn't matter what you say happened on the inside of development because that's irrelevant. It doesn't matter to us how the game was designed. If you really wanted to treat your customers fairly you'd give them 100% of the game in the box.

If you want to be dishonest and still charge people money you could simply delay the release of DLC in cases like this. If you want to be moral you'll give people 100% of the game at release and develop more afterwards.

31. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Look, it comes down to this. However the DLC was developed, whether parallel or not, it seems that that effort could have gone into the main game and so it feels like the game that we're being offered could have included more content.

In the end I'll just have to wait for all the reviews to hit the forums and all the various sites. Probably take a couple weeks. If the game sounds like it's worth it, then I'll probably get it. Same goes for the DLC. If not, then I'm pretty sure I'll have Borderlands and my existing rather large backlog of games to keep me busy until something else comes out.

Oh yeah, and god help you if there are any major issues with the game. Then you're really going to catch hell for having other people working on DLC to sell on day one

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 21:29.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

30. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 21:23 MattyC

Did I mention it's sweet as hell to get an actual Bioware dev on the Bluesnews forums?

^^ I second this. Must also have thick skin to brave these boards

The timing does kind of stink, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't still going to pick this up on launch day along with the DLC.

29. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:20 Gatzby

While I've read the spin, it sure feels like an intentional money-grab; the very thing many of us, I'm sure, feared when we heard BioWare was getting absorbed into EA. I would love to have heard the discussion that led up to this release timetable. It would certainly seem like they didn't ask anyone outside the pocketbook for their opinions.

As for me, I think this may be enough to push me away from buying the game, at least at full retail price. The buzz hasn't been the greatest and I am always leery of supporting anything from EA. Certainly the (perceived) slap in the face does nothing to sweeten the deal.

The concept of a parallel development team is great if true, but I'd still rather have had those folks working on the main title to make it bigger, better, and more bug free.

28. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:18 Zyrxil

There is a long held belief that main game content is being removed and sold separately. This is not the case. The content is being developed in parallel by a dedicated team.

When the content is ready for Day 1 download, what's is there any difference between the main game content and content designed/coded at exact the same time? Do you arbitrarily move some guys to a different room and declare it a separate Parallel, as opposed to all the other teams working on other areas also in parallel? What happens when you decide maybe another town was also made in parallel?

27. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:01 Fion

What's next, micro transactions from the Blacksmith to buy a new sword in game?

No thats for SW:ToR.

26. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:00 Fion

SirKnight just joined the conversation I see :p

No you didn't. We certainly haven't had free downloadable content for our games in any recent memory, aside from BDtS for Mass Effect 1 PC

I got practically an entire campaigns worth of free stuff for NWN over the course of a few years. Mind most of it was tools and new content to be used with the tools. And I'm not talking specifically Bioware, but rather a bunch of stuff back in the day, like for Baldur's Gate.

And I also seem to remember expansions costing me $25 bucks up until a few short years ago when consoles became 'in' and companies like EA started asking $40 for them and console kids parents spent that money because they simply didn't know any better. :p

And yea, this forum can break anyone. So be careful!

25. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:54 kylania

Yeah, this whole "separate team" thing is silly. Make them part of the main team and build content for the game. Or drop the price of the game by $7. It's not like this wasn't planned content for the game. It's not something that appeared out of nowhere. It's content intended for the game and deliberately not included in the game in order to charge more for it. Parallel teams and DLC plans don't change that fact.

What's next, micro transactions from the Blacksmith to buy a new sword in game?

24. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:53 SirKnight

The nickel-and-dime'ing continues. Yet again, we pay FULL FUCKING PRICE for a half of a game. A crap load of content is created, but instead of including it with the game like it used to be, greed has set in and they take it out call it DLC and charge a fee. Sometimes they'll sit on a bunch of content for months to make it seem like it's all new and good stuff and release it later. We're not dumb.

Screw this. This is why I NEVER buy DLC. It's a shame most modern games doesn't even come close to providing value worth the asking price. They used to. This is why I rarely buy games at full retail price any more. I'll wait and get it used or bargain bin. Doesn't bother me a bit.

23. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:42 badtrip

I'd like to add that your "parallel team" explanation stinks of PR speak. I'm sure that all of the separate teams working on Dragon Age were working in parallel and with differing stages of completion. Following your logic, Derek, we gamers should be buying the musical score and in-game art as same day DLC for extra cash as well.

If it looks like EA and smells like EA, then it's EA. Don't try to defend yourself, this was a greed move and we can all see thru it.

22. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:40 Prez

Did I mention it's sweet as hell to get an actual Bioware dev on the Bluesnews forums?

Amen. That is pretty sweet. Hope you are tough as nails, CB; this forum can break the strongest of men!

I have to say that I think the day one DLC might not have been the best choice simply by virtue of how it's likely to be perceived, but then again, with the whole game being new, no one really needs to buy this off the bat anyway.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plan Oct 7, 2009, 20:39 PropheT

I am not sure what I can do about perceived slights other than try and openly communicate with you all.

Gamers (especially old, jaded, PC folks) are fickle...I don't think you'd have to explain if the release was timed to hit even something like two weeks after release, but with it coming out the same day it looks too much like having to buy the same game in two different places to get the entire product.

I'm really looking forward to the game, and I'll grab the DLC too, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't just so I felt like I had the whole game right from the start. Even if the reasons for it behind the scenes are good ones, that still kind of sucks.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo