Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013?

MCV hears from some speakers at this month's London Games Conference that a hot topic at the show will be digital distribution. They quote some punditry predicting that digital sales will surpass retail sales by 2013, but that approximately 40% of the industry is unprepared for the shift from boxes to bytes.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Digital Dist #1 by 2013? Oct 13, 2009, 16:43 The PC Warrior

Major Nelson said it once, I remember seeing it in an article on this site but Google is turning up zip with my search criteria. You can always look up the Gamestop and Best Buy revenues for a decent idea. Retail kills DD for now at least, I doubt that will change in North America by 2013 given that broadband situation is so crappy compared to the rest of the world.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 10, 2009, 17:16 Prez

Not really, key industry personnel have said retail sales are still the highest by far.

Link? I have never heard anyone even discuss it in such unambiguous terms. At any rate, without context, we don't know if they are talking about all gaming (which obviously incorporates the massive retail dominance of console games) or PC gaming specifically.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

27. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 8, 2009, 13:43 Kxmode

Brad Wardell, the head of Stardock and Impulse, said DD takes about 25% of sales.

Source please Sigh

26. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 20:40 Narf2029

Not really, key industry personnel have said retail sales are still the highest by far.

Makes sense. Can't be too awesome with American broadband. I noticed Company of Heroes Gold was on sale (the sales list Blue has here is the best thing since pizza delivery) and I couldn't resist the chance to basically get Opposing Fronts for 5 bucks. However, 7.7GB with an estimate of 24 hours download time... Would have been done around 3 hours from now had Firefox not crashed and taken all of the progress with it, so now maybe it will be done sometime in the next 16 hours. Broadband was supposed to stop all us dialup users from having to download something over a couple days straight... And then imagine if I had to deal with a bandwidth cap! At least here in the United States, broadband has a lot farther to go before digital distribution can take over, let alone if it does.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 20:44.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

25. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 20:20 StingingVelvet

for all we know digital distribution already reigns on PC

Brad Wardell, the head of Stardock and Impulse, said DD takes about 25% of sales.

24. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 18:34 PHJF

We've all been told the story of the "promise" that Steam made about how if they ever go out of business

Prrreeetttyyyyy sure Valve and Steam are past that point by now...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 18:19 VoodooV

Gamers aren't afraid of DD. They just want some sort of guarantee that the company they bought a game from isn't going to pull a fast one and say fuck you and not host a certain game anymore.

We've all been told the story of the "promise" that Steam made about how if they ever go out of business, they'd release a crack that lets people play their games without Steam. What exactly is preventing them from saying, "oh yeah, that..well we changed our minds" Or even if the company has honorable intentions of taking care of their consumers. What happens in some sort of catastrophic event and the company loses all their records of who bought what? Or what is preventing that company from being bought out by another company and THAT company says renegs on the "promise"

There is nothing really preventing some company from just going "too bad, guess you'll have to buy our new version all over again"

DD will eventually take over and become the primary means of getting games and software. There is no doubt about that. It's just a question of when. But it would all go a lot smoother if there is some sort of guarantee that a game we purchased through DD will still be honored 10 years from now..or longer. As long as I take care of my retail copies (and find some way of playing them on newer OS's or keep old hardware around) I can still use the data.

22. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 16:17 Prez

I doubt this is just for PC games; for all we know digital distribution already reigns on PC, but we can't know for sure (alluding back to the top 10 threads...).

So, assuming this prediction includes consoles as well, it seems to be a wildly optimistic one. Of course, the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 maybe because they were only interested in retail...

Where do you box lovers put all your boxes and manuals?

LOL! That just struck me as hysterically funny for some reason. Laugh

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

21. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 16:11 Verno

Virtual borders is crap and I agree with you man, it's terrible. The TV networks and other places are doing the same shit now with regional restrictions, ignoring part of what makes this content so attractive to consumers online.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

20. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 15:56 ImaTarget

As long as there are still virtual borders no digital sales for me. I live in Germany and can legally and freely buy games from the UK (Amazon for example) . You know, the English ones that have much better writing and not a cheap translation, often have the real actors syncing, are uncut and stuff like this. The GOOD versions. However there is not a Digital Store that will give me my games in English unless I trick em by using some special proxy. Last purchase I did on steam where the expansions for DOW 1, as I had DOW original UK version, my OS is a UK one and all is set to be English I figured this would work. Of course it didn't and installed the GERMAN fucking versions. Which are crap and no use to me. Refund? No! Any way of getting it to play nice and be in English? No! And that's with most games out there. Even when the boxed copy is multi language the Download version over steam forces everything to German. I dislike Steam with a passion as it takes away he rights of game owners and most people are not realizing it and even cheering them on for it!

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 15:58.

19. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 15:12 Verno

I hope your PS3 never fails, because you will get a new one and then realize none of your content works.

Actually my good man, there is a built-in mechanism to deactivate a console and you can also have tech support deauthorize any share of a game as long as you are the original account holder of the purchase. There's even software to backup and restore your PSN licenses from an external hard drive.

The 5 license mechanic is not meant as a way to split purchases across 5 people, it is meant to allow you personally to install on 5 machines over your lifetime.

I've never heard Sony officially speak on the topic one way or another personally. If you have great, link it up and I'll check it out. Even if they do it "unofficially" though, I think their system is the most generous of all of the digital distribution vendors. I'm merely pointing out that right now, they have a great system for this stuff. 5 shares being better than 0 shares specifically and having an otherwise decent if unspectacular store.

Did you post just for the sake of disagreeing with me or what? I'm replying to someone who mentioned how they can't resell their games and how it affects their budget. I don't think my response was unreasonable.

18. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 15:02 Bumpy

When I buy something I want to hold it in my hands. Hard copy CDs, newspaper, games and movies will never go away; least not in my lifetime.

Far as Steam goes, hate it with a passion because it's to big brother and limiting.

17. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 14:38 StingingVelvet

I can't even remember the last time I bought a retail copy. If it's not on Steam, I simply don't play it.

I see this comment a lot, especially on the Steam forums where people will create topics for every new game coming out stating if it is not on Steam they will not play it. It kind of baffles me, I can't imagine limiting myself to one store for games... what is the point of that? You can get all of Steam's features for any game by adding it to the game list yourself. Lately there has been a trend of Steam versions having more DRM than retail too, like Batman and Risen, both of which have simple disc checks at retail but have SecuROM and TAGES activation on Steam, respectively. The retail editions of those games are far superior to Steam and cost the same.

Anyway, I like retail because you actually own your game. Steam users don't realize how little control they have over their games until there is a problem... just wait until your account gets disabled for something you never did and you can't play any of your games for a week until they sort it out, then maybe you will get your ass into a Best Buy here and there.

Digital distribution is not the prefered method of a majority of consumers, this has been shown very obviously... Brad Wardell recently said Demigod sales at Wal-Mart are 10 times higher than Demigod sales on Impulse even when Impulse has a sale on the game. CDs still sell vastly more than digital music on iTunes. The people really eager for digital only are the publishers and corporations... no resale, no ownership rights, no discounts they do not approve. GTA4 is still $50 on Steam, but $20 in every store. That is our future, a future of control and limitations much greater than we have had before, and all the Steam fanboys are helping it happen.

16. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 14:30 StingingVelvet

I like the PSN 5 license approach. It's not perfect by any means but I can share games with any 4 friends and they can share their games with me. I spend more on the PSN than I do anywhere else, Steam and XBL included for those reasons. I don't like the fact that there is DRM, Sony doesn't win any awards for this and god knows the PSN has many other deficiencies but at least my group of friends can all make better use of our gaming budgets. It's also a great way to do social gaming and discover new things, it's just a shame PSN itself makes communication and grouping so annoying after the purchase/share.

The 5 license mechanic is not meant as a way to split purchases across 5 people, it is meant to allow you personally to install on 5 machines over your lifetime. I hope your PS3 never fails, because you will get a new one and then realize none of your content works.

15. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 14:04 Verno

I like the PSN 5 license approach. It's not perfect by any means but I can share games with any 4 friends and they can share their games with me. I spend more on the PSN than I do anywhere else, Steam and XBL included for those reasons. I don't like the fact that there is DRM, Sony doesn't win any awards for this and god knows the PSN has many other deficiencies but at least my group of friends can all make better use of our gaming budgets. It's also a great way to do social gaming and discover new things, it's just a shame PSN itself makes communication and grouping so annoying after the purchase/share.  

14. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 13:57 Narf2029

I can't remember the last time I bought a game in a box. I also can't remember the last time I resold a game. Actually, I think it was in 2000 when I conned a guy at high school into buying my copy of Gangsters because it was a horrid game. I don't buy many games because I don't see many I want to buy. I'd be fine with an all-digital sales world, as long as it was done like Steam or D2D in that all of my games from both services have been available to redownload at any time for years and without paying a penny.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 7, 2009, 13:57 BobBob

How can it happen one year AFTER the world ends?  

12. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 13:20 Kajetan

If this happens, if digital sales will overtake retail/boxed sales, we will also see a drop in sales overall.

Right now, you buy a game, you play it, you sell it and salvage part of your initial spending to buy NEW games. But as most digital sales plattforms prohibit (or do not encourage) to re-sell your licences, you end up having LESS money to buy more new games. So, you will buy LESS new games, unless somebody waves a magic stick and more money appears out of thin air on your bank accounts.

"Hey, let's destroy the used game market, because it hurts us in some way we cant prove, but assume, that it have to be so, because we say so!"
"Yeah, great idea! Let's do that!"

Morons ...

11. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 201 Oct 7, 2009, 13:09 theyarecomingforyou

I can't even remember the last time I bought a retail copy. If it's not on Steam, I simply don't play it.
Same, though it if I could buy games without DRM, with the ability to auto-patch (but not require it) and to not require reinstall after a format. Currently Steam allows me to get all the games I own running immediately after installing the client, with only the DirectX and additional installers needed first - when talking about the 190+ games I have on Steam that's a life saver. I can't even be bothered installing games from disk anymore.

So while I only buy games on Steam at the moment I would much rather it had some serious competition, as I don't like the amount of control that Valve has. If they dropped Steam's DRM completely then I'd be over the moon, though that doesn't seem likely.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: Digital Distribution to Reign by 2013? Oct 7, 2009, 13:05 PHJF

It might have been interesting had the link bothered to provide whatever data/graphs/etc. the speaker was using to make such claims.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo