Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Impulse Top 10

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 08:44 Verno

I find it funny that Verno thinks that the current list is doctored.

I find it funny more people aren't skeptical about a company topping their own list at a really convenient time for them.

Why should he believe any numbers they release if he thinks they are a bunch of liars?

I thought about that initially but it's a lot easier to discuss and put things into context with numbers, so no I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

the_culture following me around on the forums

I kind of like having a little lapdog to pick up after me, keep it up friend I'll make a twitter account for you, lol.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 04:18 Prez

I do think I get what you are saying in that the info you are after helps to give a more full picture of the industry, but I just don't believe that simply being a consumer gives you a right to it.

Of course I don't have a right to any information that Valve doesn't wish to divulge. I never claimed I did, nor did anyone else here that I noticed. What I was saying was that, in my opinion, Valve can't lose anything by publishing it, while they and the industry at large could very well benefit from doing so. Of course, if it is as Dagok says, that they are in some way contractually bound, it would at least be nice for Valve to admit as such rather than just playing coy.

And no worries about anything - it's no big deal.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

66. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 02:57 Kosumo

Well, Prez, to be positive, I'm happy to see that Civilization IV: The Complete Edition is at less in a few of these list over the last few days.

I do think I get what you are saying in that the info you are after helps to give a more full picture of the industry, but I just don't believe that simply being a consumer gives you a right to it.

As to multiplayer games, I feel that that info is already there in the most part by the many diffent way if you wish to find it anyway i.e. server list of people that are playing the game , as apposed to simply how many copies (or SKU) have been sold.

Peace to you bro, I'm just not very good expressing myself in written words, (or internet forums, which can be ruff places)

65. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 02:27 space captain

"you'll pay to know what you really think"™  
Go forth, and kill!

64. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 02:24 Prez

Like I said, I cant go into specifics, but quite frankly with this crowd it really wont matter what I say, who I got the info from or what company.

Well, you have to admit it is a bit tough to just go on the word of an anonymous poster on the internet. I believe what you say may be the case, but like I said, it would hold more weight with me were the explanation were to come straight from Valve, no offense.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

63. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 02:16 Prez

If how much something as sold affects your buying habbits, you're a fuck'n sheep. FULLSTOP END OF STORY

And if you can stomp into a thread and miss the point of the discussion that completely, you are an imbecile. FULL STOP, END OF STORY.

Of course, I suspect that you are not an imbecile, but you are missing the point entirely - I just thought I'd give your painfully childish way of carrying on a discussion a try. Not for me.

If the answers to those questions don't seem like they'd be beneficial to a consumer, than I frankly don't have anything else to discuss with you, as you are most likely being willfully dense for the sake of a good pissing contest, which I refuse to partake in.

You don't think that strong sales of a multiplayer game that is dependent on other players for its experience is important to a consumer looking to buy a game? That's ridiculous. If Steam , D2D, Impulse and other DD sales could be quantified in a way that proves that PC sales are not only not dwindling, but thriving (something that many of us suspect) and factored in to lists such as NPD and others, it just might begin to change the conventional wisdom on the PC market, which to me would be a huge benefit. It could at the very least, help stop the exodus of developers from the platform in recent years.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2009, 02:56.

- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 01:31 Krovven

Are you now saying you know it to be the case with Valve, or are you speaking generally here?

Not speaking of Valve, but it's no different for any publishers, whether it be EA, THQ, Ubisoft, Activision, etc regarding their relationships with retail outlets.

Like I said, I cant go into specifics, but quite frankly with this crowd it really wont matter what I say, who I got the info from or what company.

61. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 7, 2009, 01:21 elaborator

i like french fried potatoes  

60. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 23:37 Enahs

Not just Valve for me, all of them. NPD wasn't perfect but the better solution is to hide everything and let middle management lackeys at publishers pick and choose based on what are they told by a dd company? I think we can find a better middle ground for both the consumer and the industry itself.
Huh?
The publishers know exactly how many copies they have sold. Why do they need another organization doing that? When it sales well they use it as a marketing tool.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2009, 23:38.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

59. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 23:35 Kosumo

If how much something as sold affects your buying habbits, you're a fuck'n sheep. FULLSTOP END OF STORY

Otherwise you just wanta know cos you wanta know,
- Is digital distribution overtaking retail?
- Is conventional wisdom that the PC gaming market is dead fallacy or truth?
- Is DD sparking a PC gaming resurgence?
- IS DD curbing piracy in any meaningful way?
- What percentage of Steam and Impulse users own multiple games for that platform?
- What are the buying habits of the average DD user?
- Is my favorite game selling well enough to warrant a sequel that I would love to have?
- How do short term sales, DLC, mods and SDK's affect sales?
- Is a game I'm interested selling well enough to ensure there will be a vibrant community to play with and against should I buy it?
- What is the long term viability, as indicated by sales numbers, of a persistent world MMO?

Are all questions that an investor would want to know, where as you as a customer should only worriy about getting what you paid for. That's is the contract that you enter into when you buy a game, not that you became a share holder with rights to tell the company what to do.

58. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 23:33 Enahs

If you guys are so paranoid about them lying, why would you believe the sales figures they report? If they are evil businesses out to use it as a marketing advantage then do you not think the publishers, which on many of your occasions are you own words, eviler businesses. Do you not think they would just get together and lie about the sales numbers?

They are not a public company so they do not have to report their financial info, so how would you know if they lie?

I saw so many posts in this thread and thought wow, popular topics. But they are all from two people arguing the same damn thing not realizing it.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

57. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 23:32 Prez

Not just Valve for me, all of them.

Agreed. I don't mean to pick on Valve here. But let's face it, no one else is going to do it without Valve doing it first, as they are clearly the lead dog in this race.

- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 22:28 The PC Warrior

Not just Valve for me, all of them. NPD wasn't perfect but the better solution is to hide everything and let middle management lackeys at publishers pick and choose based on what are they told by a dd company? I think we can find a better middle ground for both the consumer and the industry itself.  

55. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 22:26 Prez

Point is, if Valve came out and said "Look, we can't show you the numbers because of publishing agreements" or some other reason, I'd say "Well, that sucks", or "That's a pretty stupid agreement if you ask me", and then go on with my day. No offense; I'd just rather hear it from the horse's mouth than from an anonymous poster or a website. The issue I have is that Valve gives no reason for withholding data that could be beneficial to PC gaming by illustrating to developers, publishers, and the public that PC games are still viable and that people are in fact still buying PC games. I find that silence a bit bothersome for a number of reasons.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2009, 22:27.

- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 22:09 The PC Warrior

If you can't read the Kotaku article and what I said regarding the agreements to not divulge digital distribution unit sales, then there is no further reason to try and explain it to you. It's a fact that they hold shelf space hostage over PC publishers and that they don't want digital distribution unit sales to be released for comparison to retail sales. I have this info from a developer, simple as that.

Anyone can say they have some mysterious insider information on the Internet, no one is impressed nor does it lend any credibility to your theory. An article of Kotaku of all places doesn't exactly do so either for that matter. I'm commenting on known facts and the topic itself, you're off commenting on what you want where you get to be right but don't have to prove it. Sorry, not working for me.

Further example that you have no comprehension of what I practically spelled out, minus specific examples that I can't divulge.

This type of stuff is unnecessary and pointless, you're not going to get me all huffed up however many times you insult my reading comprehension. Stop wasting time. Can you make a point without being an over-aggressive internet toughie, ever? I have yet to read a post where you didn't say someone else was stupid or didn't understand your divine wisdom, it's like derek smart 2.0 here. When you have a civil discussion then it makes it a lot easier for people to agree with you and understand the points you're trying to make because they're not sitting thinking who is this anti-social jackass?

Why should he believe any numbers they release if he thinks they are a bunch of liars?

I haven't memorized the thread but the only people I see using the word liar are those who say they believe the digital distribution vendors. Trust is built, not given freely at least by those with some sense. Offering the figures is a good first step.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2009, 22:13.

53. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 22:00 Rilcon

This thread is awesome. You guys are awesome.  

52. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 21:41 Fang

I find it funny that Verno thinks that the current list is doctored. Why should he believe any numbers they release if he thinks they are a bunch of liars? If they are going to lie about the list, then any numbers they give can just as easily be faked, since they have no legal obligation to report accurate numbers of their own sales.

Okay, I'm ready for the ad hominem attacks directed at me.

51. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 21:39 Prez

It's a fact that they hold shelf space hostage over PC publishers and that they don't want digital distribution unit sales to be released for comparison to retail sales. I have this info from a developer, simple as that.

Unless I misread you, before you were saying that it was possible this was the case with Valve. Are you now saying you know it to be the case with Valve, or are you speaking generally here?

- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 21:39 Krovven

It's like verno said, he keeps saying conspiracy because it sounds paranoid and outlandish when the reality is anything but.

I never said wanting to see unit sales was paranoia or a conspiracy. I said his claim that Valve was "puffing" the numbers was.

Reading comprehension for the win!

49. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 6, 2009, 21:37 Krovven

The vagueness isn't really necessary, most of us know all about Wal-Mart and Gamestop threatening companies on pricing and availability.

Then you don't actually know what I'm referring to at all, and stop trying to pretend that you do.

Unit sales have little to do with that.

Your wrong about that.

Wal-Mart wants companies to match it's prices and threatens to remove product if they go lower.

What I talked about has nothing to do with the pricing of games. Further example that you have no comprehension of what I practically spelled out, minus specific examples that I can't divulge.

If you can't read the Kotaku article and what I said regarding the agreements to not divulge digital distribution unit sales, then there is no further reason to try and explain it to you. It's a fact that they hold shelf space hostage over PC publishers and that they don't want digital distribution unit sales to be released for comparison to retail sales. I have this info from a developer, simple as that.

Until retail sales become non-existent, we won't get the information, at which point it won't matter anymore.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo