Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands Preorders

Preorders of Borderlands are now underway for Gearbox Software's upcoming role-playing shooter, as the "remaining work items until gold" countdown on GearboxSoftware.com is down to 74. Direct2Drive and Steam are each now accepting preorders/pre-purchases, and are offering a 10% discount to reward the advance commitment.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 19:52 DangerDog

Not sure what the DRM is, but it will be using GFWL for the co-op matchmaking.

no it's not, they're using gamespy.

and say what you will about gamespy, it's a hell of a lot better than Games for Windows LIVE.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?s=db3a7b23d1e8b2dc7b0e24c75c48d3a8&t=74110

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 17:14 Parallax Abstraction

I didn't play Hell's Highway on PC but I had a couple of friends who had issues with it. And the first Brothers In Arms was terrible on PC. Low-res textures, lousy frame rates, 5.1 that was broken until the second patch and stability issues. I didn't think it was that great a game in general either but that's subjective of course. Not saying thtey can't make Borderlands awesome on PC, they certainly can. I'll just believe it when I see it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

17. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 13:35 StingingVelvet

Yeah, I thought all three were great on PC, especially the last one.  

16. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 11:03 theyarecomingforyou

Given the insulting quality of the Brothers In Arms PC ports, I won't be going near this without a demo first.
Huh? Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway was great on PC.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

15. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 10:40 Parallax Abstraction

Given the insulting quality of the Brothers In Arms PC ports, I won't be going near this without a demo first. I've heard they're putting real effort into the PC version but I'll believe that when I see it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

14. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 04:47 Nate

Was already burned recently by pre-ordering Red Faction Guerrilla. Still pre-ordered this.

I could list my irritations with RFG. The poor PC hardware support issues. The other issues with gameplay. But I'm trying to put all that behind me and forget I ever wasted money on it.

13. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 04:25 StingingVelvet

Saint's Row 2 ran like crap for me, but seeing as how Volition made the Freespace games I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited on a patch to fix the issues. Then they pretty much dropped PC support for SR2 and from what I remember started banning anyone that complained about it on the official forums. For that reason alone, I never intended to touch RFG, and from what I've read so far I'm glad I passed.

They didn't ban anyone that I know of, they just closed the threads and said "no more patches for Saint's Row 2" at the end of them all.

In their defense, SR2 was improved a lot after release and is now actually playable at high settings for me, which is a lot more than I could say when it came out. They also seemed to know the port was crap and got a different group to port RFG.

Honestly RFG runs great for most people I think... in DX9.

12. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 04:15 .Drifter

Saint's Row 2 ran like crap for me, but seeing as how Volition made the Freespace games I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited on a patch to fix the issues. Then they pretty much dropped PC support for SR2 and from what I remember started banning anyone that complained about it on the official forums. For that reason alone, I never intended to touch RFG, and from what I've read so far I'm glad I passed.
Borderlands now, that one I am tempted to preorder.

Lol, love it when the spell checker shows no spelling errors, yet the actual words used are wrong but at least spelled right.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2009, 04:17.

11. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 03:57 spindoctor

Have they said what sort of DRM this game is going to use, or if it's going to be hamstrung by GFWL?

Not sure what the DRM is, but it will be using GFWL for the co-op matchmaking.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

10. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 02:23 StingingVelvet

It has a lot of technical problems. If you have the magical configuration that works well with it then fantastic but the rest of us got burned on it pretty badly. My machine should chew that game up and spit it out but I get crazy framerate dips/speedups all over the place and forcing vsync on causes some texture corruption. Check out their support forums sometime, a lot of angry people.

Every official forum for every game ever made has a lot of angry people with tech problems.

Saint's Row 2 was a horrible port with a lot of problems for me, but RFG runs perfect in DX9. In DX10 it ran like ass for no reason, but you can force it into DX9 and it works great.

9. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 02:13 The PC Warrior

What's wrong with RFG? I fraking LOVE it.

It has a lot of technical problems. If you have the magical configuration that works well with it then fantastic but the rest of us got burned on it pretty badly. My machine should chew that game up and spit it out but I get crazy framerate dips/speedups all over the place and forcing vsync on causes some texture corruption. Check out their support forums sometime, a lot of angry people.

8. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 00:37 Rhett

According to Randy Pitchford, he said he'd "Rather let a thief play for free than let a paying customer be blocked from playing by DRM" so it looks like mild DRM for us.

God, I hope they preload this 8gb+ monster of a game. I don't want to spend release day downloading it

7. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 00:20 StingingVelvet

Was already burned recently by pre-ordering Red Faction Guerrilla. Still pre-ordered this.

What's wrong with RFG? I fraking LOVE it. Ramming those dump trucks into buildings and then jumping out to clear the survivors out is a thrilling experience, and in DX9 mode the game runs locked at 60fps.

Anyway, Borderlands looks great and I love Gearbox, so it's a no brainer.

6. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 00:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Have they said what sort of DRM this game is going to use, or if it's going to be hamstrung by GFWL?

If the DRM is mild to nonexistent, and GFWL is absent, I'm sold on Borderlands.

5. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 3, 2009, 00:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

*Double Post*

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2009, 00:08.

4. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 2, 2009, 23:26 theyarecomingforyou

Was already burned recently by pre-ordering Red Faction Guerrilla.
Really? I saw it was shit a mile off. Heck, all the trailers talk about the console versions and it was built completely around the destruction gimmick. Crysis went completely overboard with destruction but RFG takes the piss.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 2, 2009, 23:00 Nate

2. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 2, 2009, 21:16 The PC Warrior

Screw that, this is one game I'm buying sight unseen this year.  

1. Re: Borderlands Preorders Oct 2, 2009, 20:53 Bumpy

Not touching this game without a 10 foot demo.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo