Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

3000AD MMOG Tease

Galactic Command Online is a new website from 3000AD teasing mysterious plans for an upcoming MMOG from the independent developer. The page says "10-15-09", the date when more will be revealed, and in the meantime, the only content is the following tease/threat:

THE MMO COMPETITION WILL HAVE A LOT TO WORRY ABOUT. WE RETURN TO OUR PLAYGROUND.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 13:46 Verno

MMO isn't a niche anymore.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 13:22 Karnisov

the irony is, derek's game could be a god-send for the mmo niche IF its done right. because the mmo niche sux right now for the most part, with the exception of Puzzle Pirates.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

63. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 13:10 Verno

Late you don't even try kxmode. It's like the spirit has just been driven out of you. Where is the bluster of yore? Find the fire.  

62. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 12:56 Kxmode

Here's my witty and very hilarious comment.  

61. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 12:53 Verno

That's the equivalent of saying "I've never had an STD but hey it sounds interesting so where do I get started?"  

60. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 12:52 shponglefan

I have not played any of your games, which (if i was to) would be a great starting point?

A different developer.

59. Re: Game Reviews Oct 2, 2009, 12:34 BobBob

"Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Smart#cite_note-Troublemaker-1

http://www.3000ad.com/press/ds_interview_cgw0401.jpg

58. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 12:15 PHJF

However the guy is determined and does not waver in his opinions and I can really respect that.

He also doesn't make good games, and being a game developer that kind of supersedes any other "qualities" he may have.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 12:03 Verno

About as tired as you get of acting like a child having temper tantrums who makes the gaming equivalent of Fisher Price titles.

Sorry in language you can understand:

THE MMO COMPETITION WILL HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. WE RETURN TO OUR ASYLUM.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2009, 12:04.

56. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 11:59  dsmart 

@ verno

Being a stubborn moron isn't a virtue and doesn't deserve respect. Berating the community and insulting it's intelligence isn't interaction. You really don't understand Derek Smart.

Do you always have to be such an ass hat? Aren't you tired of being the forum clown? Inconsequential retard.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

55. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 11:53 Gentle Nova

"Berating the community and insulting it's intelligence isn't interaction."

No but it's obviously fun. Probably why so many people do it here to each other. Snap!

I think the only wrong thing he's done so far is announce this ahead of time, thus making everyone perceive it as hype. I'd rather just hear the announcement, go to the site, see all the details and make my decision whether to play it or not on the spot.

As for successes and failures, "you're only as good as your last success" works both ways. People's views of your failures can quickly be erased by one great hit that finally connects with what they want.

And finally let's get real here and talk about the failures of big budget MMOs so far. I seriously believe that real innovation in the gaming industry will come from those on the fringes. Most large companies who spend millions of dollars on their projects often can't afford to take risks, whereas the little indie developer can.

54. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 11:52  dsmart 

hang on, how is 100 people on a server a MMO? i assume there is some kinda cross server interaction? or did you mean a persistant multiplayer game as apposed to a mmo?

Simple start here What is an MMO?

A bunch of cretins over the years took the meaning and mangled the heck out of it.

You don't need to have a million people on a server shard to have an MMO. You can have 16 people on each of 1000 servers and call it an MMO.

We, like APB and a bunch of others already out, are going for a smaller number per server in order to give a more manageable and personal experience for the gamers.

Having 64 or 100 players per server has nothing to do with it being an MMO or not.

You know what, Derek. . I'll check out your MMO. I have not played any of your games, which (if i was to) would be a great starting point? What is your flagship game to date?

I have several games for different styles but all hard core to the bone. Pick one. I don't regard any as being a flagship.

If you want a deep but easy space/planetasry combat game, there is Galactic Command Echo Squad SE.

If you want the all-encompassing space/planetary combat game "you need a brain to play this", pick any of Battlecruiser or Universal Combat titles. The latest being Universal Combat CE v2.0

If you want an FPS thats going to take your brain and totally fry it inside of 60 seconds, then my latest game, All Aspect Warfare is for you.

If you want a pure planetary aerial combat game that makes H.A.W.X feel and play like the console crap that it is, then get my other recent game, Angle Of Attack.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

53. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 11:44 Grounded

This announcement made me laugh

52. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 11:43 Wowbagger_TIP

The last multiplayer space game that I really played was Subspace Not sure if that counts. Wish there were more games like that though. 2 teams going at it. Quite a bit of depth to it and it depended a lot on teamwork to win. Unfortunately it got fractured after a while. The servers were shut down and even though new ones popped up for a free version of the game, I always had a hard time finding a decent server...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

51. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 11:28 Verno

However the guy is determined and does not waver in his opinions and I can really respect that. He talks to the gamers directly, and isn't afraid to throw in his two copper.

Being a stubborn moron isn't a virtue and doesn't deserve respect. Berating the community and insulting it's intelligence isn't interaction. You really don't understand Derek Smart.

50. Re: Game Reviews Oct 2, 2009, 11:26 BobBob

I suggest he change his name and start a new on-line presence. Seems so many people despise him they will never accept this project -- at least according to his own paranoid assumptions of others intentions. I wonder if "Dr." Smart has ever sought psychiatric help for his paranoid personality disorder.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2009, 11:28.

49. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 10:46 Theo

hang on, how is 100 people on a server a MMO? i assume there is some kinda cross server interaction? or did you mean a persistant multiplayer game as apposed to a mmo?

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

48. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 09:01 justice7

You know, at first, i wasn't a fan of Derek Smart.

However the guy is determined and does not waver in his opinions and I can really respect that. He talks to the gamers directly, and isn't afraid to throw in his two copper.

You know what, Derek. . I'll check out your MMO. I have not played any of your games, which (if i was to) would be a great starting point? What is your flagship game to date?

Good luck with this one, WoW dumbed us down so much in regards to MMO's the Hardcore PvP crowd is getting shafted.

47. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 08:51 aldo_14

I'm always - always - right about stuff like this.

Eeeeeee by gum, I'm not sure that's the best sentence to leave on the internet for posterity.

46. Re: 3000AD MMOG Tease Oct 2, 2009, 08:33 Zzet

Derek, while I admire your confidence, there's nothing to suggest your MMO (assuming the announcement is indeed such a game) will succeed either. Everything you've said can apply to your game equally, perhaps even more so, which only leads me down the path of pessimism. It's just what my 20+ years of gaming experience has taught me.

If you can pull a successful MMO out of your arse like this and maintain it though, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I await the announcement with vague interest.

edit: looking at the Star Wars: The Old Republic micro-transaction rumour post below this one, you'll be off to a good start if you avoid this kind of nonsense.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2009, 08:36.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo