Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Patched

A new automatic update for Champions Online rolled out this morning, reports Massively. The update did not go as smoothly as hoped, and they outline problems getting things running properly again, and the extensive list of changes the patch includes.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Champions Online Patched Oct 1, 2009, 15:47 kanniballl

And um.. taking CoH style powers and combat, cutting out half of them, reducing all combat to either melee or ranged blasting with combat being 'toggle endurance builder power - click endurance user power - toggle end builder - click end using power.... ad nausium. That ISN'T dumbed down?

Couldn't you macro-toggle powers in CoH? Like Hasten and what-not? Plus you could put your next attack on the queue.

It's not that dumbed down compared to CoH unless you're spamming the same-flippin-attack constantly.

The main dumbed down elements are:
  • No clear cut Defender / Controller builds. Defenders can be done easily, Controllers with more difficulty

• Teaming is less prevalent. No Task Forces, though some things close to trials

• People think block and charge are lame, I think they're fine.

• I recall my Defender's solo routine being.

1 Fire CC
    2 Fire Debuff
    3 Fire AoE
    4 Attack w/ various powers
    5 If out of endurance, either rest or take a potion
    6 If Mob not dead yet, GOTO 1

In Champions
    1 Fire CC (if I have one)
    2 Fire AoE or Debuff (though DeBuff is more rare)
    3 Attack w/ various powers
    4 Block as needed
    5 If I'm low on Endurance: either block or spam energy builder
    6 If Mob not dead yet, GOTO 1

Honestly, I don't use my energy building attack much anymore, I rely on my blocking shield more-so as one solid block against a strong attack gives me insane endurance.

My Ice toon chooses 4 or 5 different types depending on scenario. Plus it has some decent CC. It's pretty close to my old Defender builds with all of its CC, AoE, self-buffs, and Healing Bots.

My Dark toon pretty much spams 1 or 2 attacks since one of them is very OP. Honestly, it's hard for me to drop that habit since it's an insane AoE.

My Force spams maybe 3 different attacks. It has CC but I only use it agains Villains or higher. I'll be branching out more as I'm now branching out to Electricity for more powers.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2009, 16:34.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Champions Online Patched Oct 1, 2009, 15:20 Fion

CoH hardly has 'traditional gameplay' lol.

And um.. taking CoH style powers and combat, cutting out half of them, reducing all combat to either melee or ranged blasting with combat being 'toggle endurance builder power - click endurance user power - toggle end builder - click end using power.... ad nausium. That ISN'T dumbed down?

9. Re: Champions Online Patched Oct 1, 2009, 15:16 Fion

You really believe Champions Online is a dumb'd down copy of City of Heroes? Have you ever played either game?

If you've played CoH in the last 4 years you'd know that CO is a massively dumbed down version of CoH with better graphics but worse mechanics.

That was my biggest complaint in beta. They used CoH as a base, added stuff that CoH players had wanted for years (tintable powers, more travel powers you get earlier, more wilderness zones,) but forgot what makes CoH a solid game in the first place.

Its almost as if their initial design decision was 'Lets take CoH and make it what players always wanted it to be. Oh and lets make it a WoW-clone themepark.' and had zero other design goals beyond that and in ended up with a dumbed down version of CoH with much more boring mechanics but better graphics. Oh and travel powers at level 5. The ability to tint your power colors (though CoX I16 does it FAR better,) and more outdoor zones.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2009, 15:16.

8. Re: Champions Online Patched Oct 1, 2009, 12:17 Cabezone

Any time a game moves away from the stagnant traditional gameplay, some fans of that style always call it dumbed down. This is true across all genres. You see it especially in RPGs.  
    "Pants! Pants! Pants!"

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 1, 2009, 06:56 BobBob

You really believe Champions Online is a dumb'd down copy of City of Heroes? Have you ever played either game?

Yes.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 1, 2009, 05:03 Scottso

I've played both and it really is CoH just a lot more "arcade-like" and some more character customization. If you've played CoH there is nothing really compelling here unless you are a die-hard fan of superhero games and have to play the newest thing in that genre. Heck it doesn't even let you play a villain which was the best part of CoH/CoV, imho.  

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 1, 2009, 00:58 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 1, 2009, 00:25 BobBob

The biggest mistake was cloning City of Heroes. Instead of making something new and creative, they simply copied COH, dumbed it down, and spiced up the graphics.  
    http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 30, 2009, 23:56 HellSlayer

lol Guys, I hope everything turns out well for the people in this game. I hope they support it well and the people that spent money get their money's worth. If Roper and the crew don't keep this game up for along time, I believe their careers are over for sure. Hell, I said that after hellgate. lol  
    o0

2. Re: Champions Online Patched Sep 30, 2009, 23:19 Cutter

What about the retcons dammit?! Won't someone think of the retcons!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Champions Online Patched Sep 30, 2009, 21:06 ColoradoHoudini

Is this the patch that gives the game content beyond creating a character?
    what? like i was the only one thinking that?

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo