Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age: Origins Trailer

A new Dragon Age: Origins trailer on GameTrailers.com introduces the city of Denerim from BioWare's upcoming fantasy-themed RPG. Here's a bit of the city's description: "Denerim, the capital of Ferelden, began originally as an outpost of the ancient Tevinter Imperium. Its mages rose up a dark tower from the side of a mountain, a symbol of the Imperium’s power. As the Imperium faded, the tower passed to the hands of the teyrns that ruled the region for a millennium."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 20:02 Yifes

yeh well I didnt say that Dragon Age was going to suck because the graphics suck.

see how that works?

LMAO

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 15:00 LittleMe

I think the worst graphics in that trailer are from the story cutscenes which is the best place to have bad graphics.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 14:42 space captain

I didn't say Dragon Age was going to be the best RPG. I said that the best RPGs have never had great graphics. Dragon Age may very well suck but graphics won't be the reason why.

yeh well I didnt say that Dragon Age was going to suck because the graphics suck.

see how that works?

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 13:16 sauron

I think the graphics look fine. My only concern is depth of content ie I'm worried that some of those characters look pretty generic.

If you think of the very best RPGs, all of them are memorable in terms of the characters and content. Perfect example: Planescape Torment. Unique setting, characters and story. Nobody who played it is ever going to forget it.

Kittens!

15. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 12:29 Jerykk

I didn't say Dragon Age was going to be the best RPG. I said that the best RPGs have never had great graphics. Dragon Age may very well suck but graphics won't be the reason why.

I see it like this: a game with oldschool graphics is on some levels comparable to reading a book; your mind creates a world of its own (of course in the game, it expands on something already there).

This is true. However, unless graphics are so absolutely horrendous to the point where you want to burn your eyes out, you can quickly get over mediocre visuals if the gameplay is good enough.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2009, 12:31.

14. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 09:23 space captain

Really? People complaining about graphics in an RPG? The best RPGs ever have had crappy graphics. Fallout, PST, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, etc.

you are already calling this a "best RPG ever"? it hasnt even been released yet.. maybe you should wait a bit before assigning a legendary status to it

this is a fucking bioware game - i doubt its gonna come close to that

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 09:15 Verno

I don't really care about the graphics so much as this looks like utterly generic fantasy tripe that you could find in a forgotten realms novel aimed at 14 year olds.

Someone needs to do an adaption of The Malazan Book of the Fallen or something that adults might enjoy.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2009, 09:16.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

12. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 05:01 toon

Really? People complaining about graphics in an RPG? The best RPGs ever have had crappy graphics. Fallout, PST, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, etc.

Well that's your opinion. I think this game looked extremely.. artificial, to the point where I think it will actually could affect me (like having a voice in the back shouting THIS IS JUST A GAME!! THIS IS JUST A GAME! ITS NOT REAL! all the time I play the game sober). I mean really, the lighting was complete shit, horrible textures..

And I don't see how you can compare this to Fallout and BG, I remember thinking Baldurs Gate and Fallout looked really cool! Hand-painted stuff with a low res > this 3D POS any day.

There is a world of difference in "unable to get a mental complete picture of this because of low resolution", which is sorta the case in BG, and "unable to get any mental picture at all because it is completely drawn out for me with straight lines and artificial characters".

In my experience, the better the 3D-graphics becomes technically, the more important presentation becomes. I see it like this: a game with oldschool graphics is on some levels comparable to reading a book; your mind creates a world of its own (of course in the game, it expands on something already there). However in these new 3D games, _EVERYTHING_ is there, there's nothing for your mind to play with. See, a 40-pixel character gives a lot of room for interpretation (case in point: how Guybrush from MI1 and 2 looks to ME, compared to the later releases and the remake). 1000 polygon 5-layer textured animated characters however do NOT. And there's another psychological thing going on; the more "real" things look, the more fake they look, too! It has something with bringing all the faults to the surface to do.. And this game is a good example of it, they all looked like Lego-characters.

Ahem, </rambling>

Wondering where the Ultima Underworld remake is in this day and age..

11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 03:29 Jerykk

10. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 02:51 LittleMe

Well the game seems to be heavy on gameplay content while lighter on graphical content. It's a tradeoff that can work. Take your pick, 12 hours of shallow gameplay with incredible graphics or 120 hours with mediocre graphics but deep gameplay. I hope it's deep, anyway.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

9. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 00:58 space captain

no shit man, those gfx look like total ass.. check out those trees at 0:40 - are you kidding me? plus the models and animation and the horrible fx... wow bioware - wtf were you thinking? this 5 year dev cycle hasnt done you any favors

this game better run like liquid butter

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Game Reviews Oct 1, 2009, 00:39 Shok

What was that gameplay footage from? The Wii? Seriously, those graphics looked like something from the dreamcast. Ughh.  

7. Re: Game Reviews Oct 1, 2009, 00:26 BobBob

Demo or no sale.  

6. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 1, 2009, 00:16 Creston

I'll get Dragon Age, as I've never NOT liked a Bioware game, but I definitely need to hear people's opinions about Risen before I embark on that road. There have been a few things in the previews that really make me weary about this game.

Creston

5. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Sep 30, 2009, 23:21 Cutter

I'd take Risen over DA all things considered. And I won't be rushing out to buy either. These are 2 games I'm going to be waiting for a bit to see the community feedback on first.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Sep 30, 2009, 23:11 Paranoid Jack

I agree with you both... and wish I would have seen this...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

... before ordering from GoGamer. This is the best deal if you can't pick it up locally for $40. Bad news is the confusion at the local stores. LameStop has told me so many different things I doubt they'll have it come release day... which according to them is Saturday the 3rd. Think I'll cancel my order and get it from Steam. If possible...

3. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Sep 30, 2009, 23:11 ldonyo

I can't afford both Risen and DA:O, so I'm waiting for DA:O to come out and go on sale, hopefully on Black Friday for super cheap.  

2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Sep 30, 2009, 22:02 LittleMe

Play Risen until DA:O!  

1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Sep 30, 2009, 21:35 Prez

I'm starting to suffer from a bit of trailer fatigue. How long has this game been coming out for? Gimme it already!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo