Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Movie Rumor

A report on Joystiq says a MechWarrior movie is "in development" at Michael Eisner's The Tornante Company, quoting that "source" guy who is responsible for so many rumors. They explain how the former Disney boss' new company got the rights to do this by acquiring Topps, who had previously acquired WizKids, who owned FASA. You may recall back in 2003 that there was news of preliminary plans for a MechWarrior movie involving Dean Devlin and creative input from Jordan Weisman, but presumably those plans died on the vine at some point.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Oct 1, 2009, 08:34 InBlack

Uwe Boll to direct....

Just joking!

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 22:04 Alak

I remember watching a television animated mechwarrior (battletech) when I was a kid. The most I remember about it was the merchandising. They had a feature wall at toys r' us.  

28. OLD NEWS Sep 30, 2009, 21:40 Zephalephelah

I knew about this rumor for over 4 months.  

27. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 21:38 Prez

What are you talking about!?!?
The current fashion is for angsty, not plucky.

Oh great. Now it's Doughy-eyed androgynous emo kids with spiky blue hair.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

26. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 20:50 BatAttack

>>MW would be better suited for an anime.
>Ugh, no. MechWarriors are not plucky 15 year old boys with the voices of 6 year old girls.

What are you talking about!?!?
The current fashion is for angsty, not plucky.

And if you look at the pilot cast of Gundam 00, only HALF of them look/sound/act like girls. The other two are boy-band material.

25. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 19:54 Rosco

uh oh, we got a hard core mech nerd alert on page 2  
Consoles are schwag.

24. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 19:43 AnarKane

Regardless of whether it's 3D CGI or live-action, the question I want to know is this: what time frame? Would it be following Wolf's Dragoons, or the Fourth Succession War, or the Clan invasion? Heck, for purity, and to give that really despicable bad guy, set it during the Amaris Crisis.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

23. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 19:19 4D-Boxing

Dont want the game to be held back until the movies is done...

If that is not the case then why not, enjoyed that scene in one of the Matrix movies with the walkers.

Then again Creston has a very good point.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 19:21.

22. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 19:19 Rosco

The Advocate
Ugh, no. MechWarriors are not plucky 15 year old boys with the voices of 6 year old girls.

Bravo! I want to subscribe to your newsletter!

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 19:23.

Consoles are schwag.

21. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 18:33 Creston

Live action MechWarrior? That seems inordinately doomed to failure.

Keep mechwarrior as a game, please. The IP's been through enough shit already...

Creston

20. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 18:26 Shataan

Anime` for a Mechwarrior?

Centuwian? Centuwian!!!! Frow him to the gwound..... woughly!!!!!! Anime`? Sacriledge!!

19. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 18:18 Hump

I agree, MW would be better suited for an anime.

HUH?? that would be about as well received by hardcore Battletech fans as the Stars Wars Christmas Special was received by fans of that particular IP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

18. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 18:17 Wowbagger_TIP

As cool as I think the concept could be, I suspect it wouldn't be pulled off as well as I'd really like. It's kinda like Iron Man (which was a great movie, don't get me wrong). As an origins movie it spent a lot of time establishing the backstory and creation of the suit, and not much time actually in the suit. And when it came down to the final battle, instead of having a kick-ass, no-holds-barred duel, they wimped out and had his suit on emergency power.

I think the same would end up being true in a MWs movie, they'd spend too much time on establishing the setting, and dealing with the pilots' lives, and not enough time encased in metal, and shooting hot, burning death.

But, um, yeah, bring on the game!
I still enjoy movies that have interesting stories and are more than just lots of whiz-bang explosions and CGI. I thought Iron Man was great and I enjoyed the back story stuff and watching him go through the process of building the suit. Sets the stage nicely for the next one too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 16:47 Shataan

Bring it!!! Anyone remember Robot Jox?? I`d love to see a well done Mech movie. Very happy we are finally gonna see a real next gen PC Mechwarrior too. Hopefully the wait won`t kill me.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 16:48.

16. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 16:47 Bhruic

As cool as I think the concept could be, I suspect it wouldn't be pulled off as well as I'd really like. It's kinda like Iron Man (which was a great movie, don't get me wrong). As an origins movie it spent a lot of time establishing the backstory and creation of the suit, and not much time actually in the suit. And when it came down to the final battle, instead of having a kick-ass, no-holds-barred duel, they wimped out and had his suit on emergency power.

I think the same would end up being true in a MWs movie, they'd spend too much time on establishing the setting, and dealing with the pilots' lives, and not enough time encased in metal, and shooting hot, burning death.

But, um, yeah, bring on the game!

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 16:48.

15. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 16:38 Prez

No care 'bout movie. Gimme da game. UGH!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 16:31 Burrito of Peace

MW would be better suited for an anime.

Ugh, no. MechWarriors are not plucky 15 year old boys with the voices of 6 year old girls.

They're battle hardened veterans in 50+ tons of death.

13. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 15:52 kimbambaman

I agree, MW would be better suited for an anime.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

12. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 15:46 Surf

The movie companies must also realize that some game movies would be better left animated. The Japs have been doing this for eons with great success. Leave it be.  

11. Re: MechWarrior Movie Rumor Sep 30, 2009, 14:47 Kxmode

EXPLOSIONS FROM MICHAEL BAY!!!  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo