Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Space 2 in Preproduction

A LinkedIn help wanted ad from Visceral Games (spotted by superannuation, who else?) reveals that Dead Space 2 is in preproduction:

The previous installment in the Dead Space franchise received numerous awards for gameplay, visuals, and sound design, and the same core team is in place to create an even better follow up.

The game is in the later stages of pre-production, ready for production in the next few months, with many of the navigational and combat mechanics in place. We have complete autonomy and creative control over our own decisions. The Games Label at EA is 100% committed to this IP, and has already worked on IP extensions such as comic, animated features, and action figures.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 3, 2009, 14:50 Kedyn

Make us whole again.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 1, 2009, 12:33 Jerykk

Turning off V-sync somehow turned the cap off as well, which may or may not have been intentional, but the game's lightning engine was used to such great effect that tearing was really obvious and totally immersion-breaking, so the only real way to make the game "ideal" was to force it to raise the FPS cap.

CRTs ftw.

24. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 1, 2009, 08:13 StingingVelvet

LOVED the original. PC control issues were solved by doubling the sentivity and leaving v-synch off, as mentioned in this thread. Played excellent on PC, better even.

Hope this sequel comes to PC.

23. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 1, 2009, 06:51 Dr. D. Schreber

The v sync 'bug' (there's some reports it was intentional) only hit for me if I used the in game v sync. If I left that unticked and used my control panel's v sync everything ran smooth and with no tearing.

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. When some people reported problems with the controls, EA's initial answer was outright confusion, because they intended the PC version to be identical to the console versions, so no graphical enhancements and V-sync with a 30fps cap. Turning off V-sync somehow turned the cap off as well, which may or may not have been intentional, but the game's lightning engine was used to such great effect that tearing was really obvious and totally immersion-breaking, so the only real way to make the game "ideal" was to force it to raise the FPS cap.

Problems aside, one reason I loved Dead Space is that it's a prime example of what you can do with intelligent design. The graphics aren't fantastic, there are no fancy features or anything, but what they did with it is sensational, the environment is far more immersive, atmospheric and alive than Far Cry 2 or Crysis.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

22. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 1, 2009, 03:16 LittleMe

Too bad the PC version, from what I've read here, was not up to snuff

PC version is easily as good as the console version but that's a low graphical bar compared to what we like on PC. Glad to get a PC version though. Something is better than nothing.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

21. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Oct 1, 2009, 00:44 [THA] Hamst3r

Wooooooooo! This is definitely a game I'm looking forward to.  

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

20. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 23:35 Cutter

I'll get if for sure, loved the original.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 20:06 Drayth

The original was badace, one of my favorite games from last year. Too bad every time I tried to recommend it to a friend they just gave me a blank stare.

The v sync 'bug' (there's some reports it was intentional) only hit for me if I used the in game v sync. If I left that unticked and used my control panel's v sync everything ran smooth and with no tearing.

18. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 19:08 Caveman

Dead Space was good on PC, minus the V Sync bug.

I look forward to a sequel with much joy.

17. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 15:56 Dr. D. Schreber

Used D3DOverrider to lock the framerate at 60 with V-sync. Bit of a hoop to jump through, but once that was done, the game was damn near perfect, certainly superior to the console versions running it at 30fps.

I never did experience the "lag" half the people here seemed to bitch about at release, either on the controller or mouse/keyboard, with or without V-sync.

Definitely a stand-out title; everything good about Resident Evil 4/5 turned up to eleven, with plenty of refinements added to the formula (like some actual horror. And walking while aiming, which, while not at all realistic for shooting with perfect accuracy, is really a must-have gaming mechanic.)

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 15:57.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

16. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 15:37 Cram

Had to double check this was Bluesnews I was reading since the majority of people in a thread are actually praising a game. Crazy.

Enjoyed the 360 version enough to play through it 4 or 5 times on different difficulties and get most achievements. Too bad the PC version, from what I've read here, was not up to snuff. Hopefully DS2 for PC will be better. Looking forward to the next game.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 15:37.

15. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 15:07 Elf Shot The Food

Played through the original a couple of times on the 360; I really liked it.

One thing I hope they improve is better level design, so you don't spend as much time back-tracking through areas you've already visited.

14. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 13:51 Dmitri_M

An uncompromisingly focused game.

Doubling the settings.txt's mouse sensitivity attribute vastly increased the response of the controls.

My problem was the crap nature of the port's textures. Blurry. Just imagine if the sequel's visuals were developed first for the PC.. Which sadly they won't.
I suppose the minor upside is the game does run flawlessly at 1920 x 1200.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2009, 13:52.

13. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 13:21 Tumbler

Loved this game. Can't wait for the sequel, played it on the 360, I thought the controls were excellent. The opening movie sequence is still etched in my mind, gorgeous intro, just beautiful.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 12:58 Ray Marden

They tied the controls into the framerate (without any restrictions) and clearly didn't think of people that play with high sensitivity, but no smoothing or acceleration.

I would have to check what the final trick was, but the game is only remotely playable when I run it at 1920x1200, disable v-sync, and tweak the control sliders a bit. The controls are still sloppy, but quite playable.

In contrast, put the resolution to something like 1280x960 and the game is completely unplayable. Heck, turn on v-sync and I have a hard time even clicking on things in the game's starter menu screen.

It's a common flaw that any expereienced PC developer would have learned from a decade or so ago...
At the very least, just give people full control to adjust as they like.
Realizing it is iconic, but hating the blue life bar,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

11. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 12:52 Ray Marden

My wish list:

• Don't hate the PC; let me play on the superior platform.

• Please give me a true widescreen view. Hint: My character doesn't needs to be 50% of my FoV.

• Fix the damn controls. Hint: The controls should be separate from the video options. Double hint: Don't penalize me for having a fast system and not wanting to smoot my mouse input.

• More story, different areas, more and different people, different monsters.

• Keep the upgrading, but refine it somehow. This is less TPS or action horror than it is "Hunt-A-Node."

• Don't make some weapons suck and don't make melee the king of lethatlity, too.
    Dreaming,
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.

10. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 12:23 Jerykk

Meh. Laggy/sloppy/unforgiving controls on the PC (even with the supposed "fixes") completely ruined this one. No great loss if the second is console-only.

I played through the game just fine with M/KB. In fact, it was too easy, even on hardest difficulty because I could quickly dismember any enemy before they even got close.

9. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 12:09 Verno

However, I read somewhere that DS2 wont be released for the PC.

You're gonna have to source that because Google turns up nothing related to any PC cancellations. In fact most results list the PC as a release platform.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
    Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

8. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 12:08 dryden555

on 360 on hard diff it was game of the year for me. Yea really. Loved the threat of death at every corner and generally the level designs were excellent. At normal diff, too easy.  

7. Re: Dead Space 2 in Preproduction Sep 30, 2009, 11:50 Stanly Manly

RE: PC control complaints...

My impression comes from the PS3 version of the game.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo