Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stardock/UPS Follow-up

Stardock's Brad Wardell sent a follow-up to our earlier post about Stardock possibly boycotting UPS. He clarifies the originations of this story and his true feelings about the topic in the following statement:

The article in question is a recap of a recap of a private comment on Facebook. It had nothing to do with Glenn Beck. I don’t watch his show. Don’t care about his show. I was annoyed to see UPS playing politics with its ad dollars by boycotting entire networks and told the shipping guys to pick the FedEx box instead of the UPS box. Bam. Whole story. :)

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Oct 5, 2009, 03:06 space captain

To see that as a polarizing act seems like quite a stretch. Would it be considered polarizing if they pulled ad money from a network airing Wright's sermons? Seems to me that they're just trying to avoid the appearance of endorsement of the kinds of claims and ideas that Beck espouses. Hell, even Beck himself can't explain his statements. I can understand not wanting to appear as though they're supporting him.

of course its polarizing - the ad money pullout is a statement to that very effect. thats the entire point of a boycott. they are against the rhetoric, therefore they pull money away from the purveyors of that rhetoric. they are going against it. they are polarizing themselves to a position which does not support it.

are you saying that by pulling ad money they are being neutral? are you fucking kidding? you need to get your head screwed on straight

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 20:09 Prez

I hear kxmode was having a torrid affair with both Rush Limbaugh and Keith Olbermann. In the interest of balance of course.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

68. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 18:12 Kxmode

I will now attempt to spray Thread-B-Gone. I will let the spray soak in for the next hour and come back and wipe away the dirt and grime.  

67. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 16:43 Bhruic

Is there a left-wing equivalent of Beck on those other channels? Maybe some sort of bizarro-Hannity?

Keith Olberman is the closest the left has to my knowledge. He's not, to my mind, nearly as much of a raving lunatic as Beck is, but he's definitely a left-wing apologist.

66. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 16:18 Prez

FYI - it was a rubber frog. The media tanked that story by assuming it was alive and he killed it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

65. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 16:17 JediPunisher

I watch Glenn Beck everyday; Whether you agree with him or not, he is entertaining... The other day he boiled a frog on live TV.

I don't agree with Beck that Obama is a racist; he doesn’t hate white people, just his white ancestry (he actually said that he was ashamed of it). On the other hand, he seems to hate his African ancestry as well… Have you seen the shack that his brother calls home? Follow the link:
http://leooshkosh.blogspot.com/2008/08/george-obama-please-feed-obamas-brother.html

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2009, 16:21.

64. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 16:15 Wowbagger_TIP

I don't watch any of those 24-hour news channels, so I don't know what shows or personalities they all have. Is there a left-wing equivalent of Beck on those other channels? Maybe some sort of bizarro-Hannity?

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2009, 16:17.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

63. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 16:15 Prez

And are there any stations, or websites, that DON'T require such a filter? Can you, in all honesty, suggest that any press out there, regardless of the medium, is objective and unbiased, not even all of the time, but MOST of the time?

My thinking is if you group together all of the different factoids from all of these wildly biased and self-serving media outlets, be they mainstream TV news or weblogs, and consider them all in the context in which they are presented and from the viewpoint of the presenting agency, looking at the issue from all angles, you have a decent chance of getting close to the truth.

I used to like BBC news simply because their status as outsiders looking in gave a fresh perspective from the local outlets who too often lose sight of the forest for all of the trees, but I don't much anymore because I began sensing an overall, albeit subtle, anti-American bias that started around the 'W' years.

- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 16:04 Verno

It's news to me that you would actually watch a station that requires you have your filter on 24/7 so as to prevent brainwash. I have yet to see any coverage of merit on Fox beyond the sports, they apply far too much opinion to news. I'm not saying the far left is any better, I don't watch that crap either. I can get everything they offer minus their attempts to persuade me to their side from other sources. I don't say any of that lightly either, I'm a conservative myself.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2009, 16:06.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

61. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 15:45 Prez

Moderate conservatives don't watch Fox News.

That's news to me. I watch Fox news, with the same shaker of salt that I keep handy for when I watch equally slanted and biased CNN, MSBNC, ABC News, etc. It also comes in handy when I want a Margarita to help keep my head from exploding from the level of BS I subject myself to in doing so. I am far from a "right-wing wacko", but feel free to hold onto your unfairly generalizing stereotypes if they help simplify your life.

Why everyone seems to assume that all people are so stupid as to be unable to filter out the noise rather than absorb everything we are told to think like good robots is a huge mystery to me.

- Mahatma Gandhi

60. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 14:13 Verno

Out of curiosity, who do you think owns the majority of the newspapers in the country?

When I said read a newspaper, I didn't mean you had to restrict yourself to the New York Times or Wall Street Journal. The internet is a far more useful tool and many newspapers have excellent ones. Also local and regional newspapers are boring but often very informational. The notion of the free press is not a dead one just because some large corporations bought their into the business. Television is an inherently difficult format for news due to viewer attention span and limited subject coverage. It's more suited to soundbites and short stories than it is to in depth political issues that require more than one minute to understand.

59. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 13:48 Wowbagger_TIP

my original statement was that refusing to do business with a company over ideals is a polarizing act. this refers to UPS refusing to advertise on Fox. thats it. period. im not saying its good or bad or that i support or do not support them.
I understand what you're saying. I'm simply saying that you're wrong to equate "doing business" with "spending advertising money to support programming on a particular station". They aren't refusing to sell their services to anyone. They're just refusing to endorse inflammatory speech by supporting it with ad money.

To see that as a polarizing act seems like quite a stretch. Would it be considered polarizing if they pulled ad money from a network airing Wright's sermons? Seems to me that they're just trying to avoid the appearance of endorsement of the kinds of claims and ideas that Beck espouses. Hell, even Beck himself can't explain his statements. I can understand not wanting to appear as though they're supporting him.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

58. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 13:35 Bhruic

Better yet, read a damned newspaper so that your entire world view isn't based on soundbites from mega corporations.

Out of curiosity, who do you think owns the majority of the newspapers in the country?

57. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 13:25 space captain

Advertising puts your company's name on the air alongside the other programming and provides the revenue to support that programming. How can you not understand the problem with having your ads supporting the rantings of the lunatic fringe? Would you feel the same if they pulled ads from an Air America station for their rantings?

i understand the problem, you clearly dont understand what im saying apparently. you are inventing some idea that you think i have about this

my original statement was that refusing to do business with a company over ideals is a polarizing act. this refers to UPS refusing to advertise on Fox. thats it. period. im not saying its good or bad or that i support or do not support them.

UPS is taking sides against the rhetoric, this should be clear to see - its not that Fox is the only polarizing element in this equation.

Go forth, and kill!

56. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 12:53 Verno

One thing I've noticed - most of the people I know that like FOX news are pretty nice and decent people

Yeah I too have met some great gay bashers who want to abolish all government except the limited portions that allow them to hold power to rewrite law in the first place. Some of my best friends hate minorities too and they're all wonderful people, it's funny you mentioned that. Heck my brother is a religious fella who hates science and believes that religion should have influence everywhere, especially politics! Finally there's my parents who think that abortion should be illegal, you couldn't ask for a better mom and dad.

The people who love Fox News are obviously a diverse group of people who debate these issues with both care and sensitivity.

Oh wait they're a bunch of raving lunatics who want to tell everyone else how to live morally within confines of religion and want to remove all barriers from that goal.

Moderate conservatives don't watch Fox News. The far left and far right do, the left uses it for ammo and the right uses it to fuel their hatred and intolerance. The moderates in both parties mainly flip to it once in awhile for entertainment. Fox News is about left as CNN is right. If you want actual news, watch the BBC. Better yet, read a damned newspaper so that your entire world view isn't based on soundbites from mega corporations.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2009, 12:56.

55. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 12:49 Xerran

White supremacists/racists are not nice people.  

54. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 12:47 Xerran

Where the hell did you go to school? Capitalism and Communism are not the same thing.  

53. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 12:23 Yifes

Lightbender:
One thing I've noticed - most of the people I know that like FOX news are pretty nice and decent people. Most of the people I've met that hate it are pretty intolerable, elitist and usually rude. (Notice how they always have to throw an insult into their opinion.) Looks like some of the posts here fit the mold.

Are you really that naive? The reason why you don't run into the elitist, intolerable and rude conservatives is because you are a conservative. There's no reason for like minded people to argue against each other and expose their inner douchebag to each other. This is classic case of "my religion/party/country/highschool-football-team is better than yours" fallacy. Grow up.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2009, 12:25.

52. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 11:56 Prez

Oh shit I almost forgot the smiley face

Whew, that was close! I was about to answer your tirade with one of my own. Luckily I didn't have to, but had I done so, I would have certainly ended it with a , or maybe a , or, if feeling particularly full of levity, maybe even a Jester .

- Mahatma Gandhi

51. Re: Stardock/UPS Follow-up Sep 29, 2009, 11:55 Wowbagger_TIP

we could argue about the semantics of "doing business" all day, but in my book it is a very simple act of one company paying another one for services. in this case, advertising. they are refusing to do advertising business with fox.
Advertising puts your company's name on the air alongside the other programming and provides the revenue to support that programming. How can you not understand the problem with having your ads supporting the rantings of the lunatic fringe? Would you feel the same if they pulled ads from an Air America station for their rantings?

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo