Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Who Owns Planescape: Torment?

This Direct2Drive Tweet may vex folks hoping that Planescape: Torment will be re-released in the current reissue-happy environment where older classics get new life via digital distributions. Word is: "@Daggity hah, would love to re-release Plancescape [sic]...if we could find someone who actually owns the rights! Sad." This highly regarded role-playing game was released in 1999, and developer Black Isle Studios closed in 2003, but publisher Interplay is still in operation, albeit tenuously, fighting to maintain control of rights to a Fallout MMOG. Presumably Interplay would have control of these rights, or would know where they currently reside, but one would also assume that Interplay would have been the first place the D2D folks would have inquired about this.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 29, 2009, 12:26 Jerykk

The graphics werent nice - even with the patches. And I thought I had beaten all the old rulesets out of my mind (at the same time I remember my loathing of the "new rulesets" when dnd3 came out)

If you care about graphics or rulesets, you're playing the wrong game. Though, PST had the best graphics of any CRPG at the time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 29, 2009, 08:28 Beamer

Better idea would be to claim that you're going to release it "real soon now" and then see who sues to stop you. That way you aren't hosed for any expenses associated with actually getting the game ready to release.

That's exactly what I said in my second sentence. Since it likely costs them something to set it up, and since releasing it would cause actual damages, just put up a page claiming its imininent release.

The only issue there is someone may wait a long while before actually suing you or no one with any actualy standing might attempt, which leaves you still unsure.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 29, 2009, 04:52 Armengar

I reinstalled and played PS:T but I shouldnt have. It just wasnt the same on my modern computer. The graphics werent nice - even with the patches. And I thought I had beaten all the old rulesets out of my mind (at the same time I remember my loathing of the "new rulesets" when dnd3 came out)

ah the memories, I should have left them alone.

edit: although murray is still one of my favourite NPCs slightly beaten by HK47
"Recitation: Yes, as I said, I am an assassin droid. It is my primary function to burn holes through meatbags that you wish removed from the galaxy."

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2009, 04:55.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

16. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 29, 2009, 03:55 Laurie

I also have the 4 disk set and keep installing the game on each new computer I get. I was amazed how much it would cost to replace my set...if I had to.

Have all the patches and mods (Official and fan made) on a backup disk to restall afterwards. The "Spellhold Studios" PS:T forums has a large dedicated group of PS:T modders who work to fix any bugs Black Isle may have missed or cut before release. Also any improvements and/or tweaks so the game can still be played. Including one that increases resolution.

15. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 29, 2009, 00:18 Wowbagger_TIP

In this case there's an easy solution: release it and see who sues.
Better idea would be to claim that you're going to release it "real soon now" and then see who sues to stop you. That way you aren't hosed for any expenses associated with actually getting the game ready to release.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 19:43 ColoradoHoudini

WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN ?!!?  

13. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 19:23 Beamer

Patent law is fucked up.
IP law is awesome.

In this case there's an easy solution: release it and see who sues. Likely not possible, as Direct2Drive probably needs to do some work. So put up a page citing its iminent release and see who sends a cease and desist. Take a look at where their claim comes from and you'll find if they own it or not. If no one steps forward with a valid claim, well, you're back to square 1.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 18:58 starmonkey

Shoot me - I'm a bad person.

You're not a bad person! You are as rare and precious as a snowflake. Lets not say you melt in my hand, though.

For me, I used to hunt down no-cd/dvd cracks purely so I'd only need to risk the physical media once, then it went back in the box, up on the shelf, so I'd neither lose nor scratch the precious game!

11. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 17:34 Dev

Wowbagger_TIP:

It was kinda alluded to, but for instance, if one company owning part of the rights said they could only sell games based on D&D licenses for X number of years, or as long as a certain company was publishing it, etc.
Its generally more expensive to get an unlimited licsense that says a company can do wtf ever they want with it, so most companies don't do stuff like that they get whatever is cheaper that they think will make them the most money.

And yes, the IP laws are screwy

10. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 13:33 Prez

I torrented it out of desperation after I lost the original CD's. Shoot me - I'm a bad person.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 13:34.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 13:18 Wowbagger_TIP

I like it. Torrent 'em all and let the market sort 'em out.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

8. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 13:16 Kedyn

it doesnt help that the popularity of "DandD Planescape" among role-players has sort of flat-lined

Didn't they stop making Planescape stuff a while ago, though?

7. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 13:00 Kajetan

IP law is seriously fucked up.

It is. And the answer to that? Ignore it. A quick search reveals a dozen swarms with approximately 300-400 users. And that was only a very rough Bittorrent search.

But as long as angst and paranoia are dominating the minds of the industry, this will never change.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 13:00.

6. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 12:55 Umbragen

IP law is seriously fucked up.

If one sentence ever spoke volumes!

5. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 12:50 Wowbagger_TIP

If a game has already been released, why would they need permission to keep selling it? Amazing that they can't find the owner either. Seems like the rights have been so divided and parceled out, that getting together enough rights to release a game that has already been sold for years is extremely difficult. IP law is seriously fucked up.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 12:53.

4. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 12:47 dryden555

it doesnt help that the popularity of "DandD Planescape" among role-players has sort of flat-lined  

3. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 12:09 Parallax Abstraction

The problem with games like this is that Interplay may own the game code and assets but they don't own the D&D license. That is owned by Hasbro which has licensed it to Atari to put out D&D games so if I remember some explanation I heard correctly, Hasbro and Atari would have to be OK with re-releasing the older D&D titles and presumably would want a cut of the sales and given that this game would only be sold for a few bucks a copy, it probably isn't a big priority for them. Sucks.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 12:06 Fion

I've still got my original 4 CD set.

Hell the game is installed on my system right now. It always is, because I regularly get that 'PS:T' feeling and play the game for a bit. I am slowly working my way through perhaps my 5th play through now hehe. Still as fun as it was in years ago.

1. Re: Who Owns Planescape: Torment? Sep 28, 2009, 11:19 SBlat

GameTap have had the game on their service in the post-Interplay period and they always listed it (and BG, etc.) as a Sierra title. But on June 15th they listed it as one of the games that changed hands in the Activision-Blizzard-Vivendi merger, and that they no longer have rights to. So presumably it isn't Sierra anymore.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo