Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UO Return to Britannia Campaign

EA and Ultima Online Announce “Return to Britannia” Campaign in Honor of 12th Anniversary Celebration, as Ultima Online first launched on September 25, 1997. They celebrate the first dozen years of operation by the fantasy-themed MMORPG by offering former players the chance to play the game in its current form for free between now and October 16. For everyone else, there's also a 14-Day Free Trial for the game. Here's word on Return to Britannia:

Closed accounts in good standing have been re-activated, and former players can log back into the game using their original user name and passwords.

New content available to returning players through the Return to Britannia Campaign includes Mondain’s Legacy, the 7th UO expansion which introduced the playable Elven race and dangerous, new dungeons to explore. Mondain’s Legacy was made available at no charge in August 2009 to existing subscribers and to new players as part of the Ultima Online 14-day free trial.

“We’re hoping that, as part of the Return to Britannia Campaign, former players will once again rediscover the joys of Ultima Online,” said Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer for Mythic Entertainment. “UO was the first love of many MMORPG players, and it still holds a special place in their hearts after 12 glorious years. I think returning players will be pleasantly surprised to find a thriving and vibrant community from around the world ready to welcome back their former compatriots and include them in their ongoing adventures.”

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: UOGamers... Sep 29, 2009, 11:32 Kxmode

There seems to be no action taken from EA but are shards illegal? Oh and thank you for the link John. Definitely need to check it out.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. UOGamers... Sep 29, 2009, 03:02 JohnBirshire

http://www.uogamers.com/

I "came back" to UO a few years ago, and did so by playing on the UOGamer's Hybrid server. It is the closest thing to the original feel of UO you can get, with no expansions past T2A. It is also open PvP, with reds allowed anywhere. Online population is always 1,000+, sometimes upwards of 2,500, and with the smaller original landmass you see people everywhere. *unlike the ever shrinking population combined with an ever growing landmass of the official servers that make them feel like ghostlands* PvP is also fun and balanced, with many possible PvP templates, and no "items to win" so skill actually matters. I can't recommend it enough for someone looking for a little trip down nostalgia lane.

26. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 20:54 Surf

UO needs to be free. I have been on the free Shards before which was fun, but EA just needs to put all the virtual worlds on one big server and just let it go.  

25. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:55 Ruffiana

Exhibit A in the "Why MMOs don't kill other MMOs" debate.  

24. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:54 Kxmode

Oh. Doh!  

23. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:49 Prez

I thought caffeine was considered a legal narcotic?

It was a joke. Apparently not a very funny one...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:40 Frijoles

Annnnnd uninstalled. Just can't get in to UO, despite how many times I've tried. Graphics are obviously an issue, but it's mainly the controls/UI that make me hate it. Oh well. I look forward to trying again in 10 more years.  

21. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:32 Kxmode

Vitamin C(affeine)

I thought caffeine was considered a legal narcotic?

20. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:27 Prez

That's true. Messing with someone's Vitamin C(affeine) is a dangerous proposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQK3dbWHH04

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 17:18 eRe4s3r

I am not sure i'd even be able to function a single day without coffee, life without it, thats like.. life without breathing  

18. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 16:57 Kxmode

Blue, you may want to hire a proofreader!

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

See! We don't need no stinking proofreaders.

17. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 16:48 nin

He has no coffee! We're lucky he hasn't just said "fuck it" and pulled the plug on the site!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 16:46 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 16:42 KS

Well, I guess I could log in to see. I expect I'll log in to find my character near the graveyard, whereupon I'll be insta-ganked by a bunch of 12 24 year-olds, whereupon I'll just log back off again.  

14. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 15:55 Surf

No, but I do remember someone casting fire on him and he got killed or was it some unarmed wrestler guy that got him? Funny stuff.  

13. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 15:54 Kxmode

But did you kill the Lord? Hmmm? hmmm? Devilish  

12. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 15:02 Surf

UO is that last true look and feel of the Ultima games. Sure it doesn't really play like a traditional Ultima. But before the graphical update, UO was great and looked similar but better than U7. I appreciated that.

I never did try the updated graphics version but from what I had seen it looked a bit cheesy.

UO was a great game, my fav online game of all time, but they really nerfed a lot of features and made it too hard to play evil people. Also, the game really had no point and just went on and on. After about 1 year I just walked away from it.

I arrived in town, naked, and dumped a 6, 10 ton boxes of goodies - Weapons, armor, scrolls, potions, herbs etc. It was great seeing people grab the stuff, yell "Holy shit!" and then not be able to move to put it into their banks. It was a blast.

They would drop the box, move around the other side of it, pick it up, and try to inch closer to their banks. A couple of times others snarfed the boxes but faced the same fate.

So funny, I still have a pic of my guild sitting on our castle from the last day we played. We went on a rampage, killed a few hundred real players and crashed the entire server due to the mob combat.

Nah haaaa

11. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 14:03 Cutter

Holy blue flaming Jesus, let Garriot create some new Ultima already and try making a new UO already.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 13:59 Kxmode

Oh and we were the only cross dressing male guild too! Top that! Wait, maybe I should be ashamed of that....

In a fantasy theme that is known as LARPing.

9. Re: UO Return to Britannia Campaign Sep 28, 2009, 13:32 Surf

I worked on it at EA at that time (97-99) in San Mateo. We had T1 lines while everyone else had modems or were just getting DSL.

So unfair, get 2-3 attacks in before 1 from someone else. Good times. Oh and we were the only cross dressing male guild too! Top that!

Wait, maybe I should be ashamed of that....

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo