Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Plans?

Sony Online Entertainment has given a few strong indications that a sequel to PlanetSide is in the works, sending out a mailing to current and former PlanetSide subscribers asking them to take a survey, saying: "That's right, you heard what we said! We plan to expand the PlanetSide universe with another game and we need your help with the design. After all, who knows the game better than you, our customers, the people who actually play it! Dont [sic] worry about the original PlanetSide, it isnt [sic] going anywhere." This is posted on PlanetSide Universe, where they also note that SOE acquired the domain Planetside2.com on September 21. These hints are strong enough, but they got even more about this when they contacted Sony Online CEO John Smedley, who had this to say about the present and future of the MMOFPS:

John Smedley: A new patch is coming. Were going to be fully Vista compliant among other things and bug fixes / anti-hacking work.

John Smedley: PlanetSide fans will be happy We have big things planned in the next 12 months. Were working on something new thats really cool.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 28, 2009, 10:17 InBlack

This is the kind of MMO I could see myself getting into, I am so hoping that the WH40K MMO in development at THQ is a made along similar FPS "shooter" lines....  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 27, 2009, 10:56 dorian

time to re-up my enlistment in the terran republic.
i think i got my old dual-cycler MAX in the attic still.
gonna polish up the old mini-guns, litte oil here and there.
foothold anchors need cleaning. I think there's still some Conglomerate guts splatter still on the visor still. A little windex should clean that.

sgt araneda shall return!

32. Re: Game Reviews Sep 27, 2009, 10:20 sc4r4b

That's why you crouch and lead your target.

I liked Planetside because it was slightly realistic in that regard. It wasn't all rocket jumping and circle strafing.

Not true... The "Cone or Fire System" Dave G and his team implimented was shit. You could be the most accurate FPS player on Earth but in PS you were brought down to everyone elses level much like BattleField2. I understand it's all in the name of balance, but to me that is not fun. I'll stick to my twitch shooters (CoD) and hope that someday we can have a true skill based FPSMMO that doesnt rely on dice-roll weapons to balance the playing field.

31. Re: Game Reviews Sep 27, 2009, 03:13 Kedyn

Good point. Plus the cone effect of shots randomized everything too much. Aiming weapons in the game was quite frustrating.

That's why you crouch and lead your target.

I liked Planetside because it was slightly realistic in that regard. It wasn't all rocket jumping and circle strafing.

30. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 27, 2009, 02:35 Wilson

Planetside only really worked well when you played regularly with a few other guys, kinda like every other MMO. The anti-vehicle weapons, for instance, were individually weak because they were meant to be used by three to five guys shooting in tandem at the same vehicle.

In general, it's tough for people to think of balance in FPSes when you consider situations larger than the scale of one-on-one combat but smaller than that of team balance.

29. Re: Game Reviews Sep 27, 2009, 02:21 BobBob

Sorry but I dont have fond memories of PS. Beta testing was more fun than when the game launched. The dice-roll weapons sucked hardcore. I even tried the expansion when it came out hoping it had improved.

Good point. Plus the cone effect of shots randomized everything too much. Aiming weapons in the game was quite frustrating.

28. Re: Game Reviews Sep 27, 2009, 02:16 BobBob

Being part of a major attack, just another cog in the wheel, no true impact on the shape of the game. No thanks. For full scale wars, I'll stick to RTS's where I'm in full control of my side.  

27. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 23:25 Nameless One

John Smedley: "PlanetSide fans will be happy We have big things planned in the next 12 months. Were working on something new thats really cool."

STATION CASH!

26. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 23:19 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I thought it was called Global Agenda?  

25. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 22:51 Narf2029

Coordination could really shine in that game. I remember one guy who organized a full team of pilots. He hid his mobile HQ in the woods repairing and rearming us while we kept blasting the shit out of a base. Never had a shooter experience like that - the disarray we caused with such a simple plan against a fortified enemy was just amazing. Unfortunately, at least when I played during the free period, there weren't enough fun experiences like that for me to justify paying for it. Mostly just uncoordinated clusterfucks in the general direction of the enemy.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2009, 23:04.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

24. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 21:51 ColoradoHoudini

Sounds good to me.. i'll give it a go.

the gaming world really needs a solid MMOFPS (which, i firmly believe Blizzard is making with their new unannounced game)

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 21:18 Slink

I got into PS waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late... as in, like, a year or two ago. Unfortunately the graphics were dated and there weren't too many players, but I could see the potential and I was even hooked with what little I had. I'd love to see an updated version.  
My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

22. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 20:44 The Half Elf

MTechnik it's for Planetside not Planescape.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 20:40 sc4r4b

Sorry but I dont have fond memories of PS. Beta testing was more fun than when the game launched. The dice-roll weapons sucked hardcore. I even tried the expansion when it came out hoping it had improved.

Planetside would have been great if it had been Tribes:MMO.

20. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 20:02 J

Oooh.. I want to believe!

I used to love Planetside. I had hours upon hours of fun be it stealthily raiding bases or stabbing people at the vehicle terminal, sniping from a distance with a cloaked AMS nearby to reload/switch equipment, getting into the BFR (I enjoyed the Vanu one considerably more), Gal drops, Mosquito raids, even ANT runs!

My main issue was the icky performance, especially in the swamplands and stuff. If they sort out the cheating and the performance I'd be only too happy to go back to Planetside 1.

Planetside 2? Hmmm... we'll see.

19. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 18:33 Ginny

Not a ps player, but stoked and trumped for you guys that are.

Sony taking a lead from the players, bout friggin time, end of the day it's you guys that pay and play.

*fingers crossed.

18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 18:09 Iridium

This could be cool. The original Planetside was loads of fun right up until the Deuce Bigalow 2 ads started showing up all over the place.  

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 18:09 MTechnik

I filled out the survey. I tried planescape when it was reaching its end, but I liked what I saw. I would LOVE a new version.  

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 17:37 Dwarf_Snowninja

I just loved the air drops you could do, we had a bunch of people that played games together irl and i loved being dumped out of the back of the drop ship in the light tank, so fun.  

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Plans? Sep 26, 2009, 17:20 Hump

back at its peak I remember that a few clans would organize huge battles on Sundays. The entire day was like a war simulation for the US Army. If you had a good chain of command the battles would be epic. Once in awhile the developers would join in (on their day off no less) and things would get quite interesting. That was some of the most memorable gaming I've ever experienced.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo