Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay

Codemasters announces Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is gold, and the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 military shooter is on track for its planned release on October 6 in North America, October 8 in EPAC territories, and October 9 in the UK. The announcement is accompanied by a new "Eagle Offense Mission" trailer on the YouTube and a batch of new screenshots. Also, though a playable demo was promised before the game's release, a post on the Codemasters forums (thanks Big Download) from about a week ago now says: "The demo plans now are that we will now be releasing a single player and co-op demo on PC only post launch of the full game." Here's a bit from the announcement:

The violence, ferocity and carnage of war is brought to life as troops on both sides attack in authentic formations, use cover realistically and engage in ranged, close-quarters and vehicular combat. USMC forces fight through the airfield’s perimeter before infiltrating the Control Tower, eliminating enemy targets with rapid, ruthless aggression. The Marines then assume defensive positions in readiness for the PLA counter-attack. A Chinese WZ-10 attack helicopter is spectacularly blown out of the sky by a shoulder-launched surface to air missile, before the conflict culminates with PLA armour advancing across a battlefield surrounded by mortar fire and strewn with burning wreckage. This flashpoint is still white hot…

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 26, 2009, 10:16 Paranoid Jack

If you're interested GoGamer.Com has the Import for $29.90 which is 25% off. You can't go wrong if your getting it at release... check it out.

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=84150472&extid=Sept2509

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 26, 2009, 08:31 Muscular Beaver

Then give me a counter-opinion.
Tell which one is better?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

30. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 25, 2009, 08:49 Agent.X7

ArmA 2 is the best military sim out there. Thats a fucking fact no single person out there can deny.

No, that would be an OPINION.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Sep 25, 2009, 08:48 Agent.X7

And Arma2 isn't or never has pretended to be a COD style action game, so why one earth you'd get into it expecting that is beyond belief..

WTF are you talking about? You are the one who brought up COD. Nobody said anything about expecting Arma 2 to be COD.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 25, 2009, 06:16 LittleMe

Well it's becoming clear that the level of polish on OF:DR will be much higher than other Milsims of recent years. But that wasn't much of a challenge to pull of.

After watching that new coop gameplay, it does look like it might get repetitive. Maybe coop is enough to justify purchase (since pvp will likely be horrid with p2p game hosting). No urban setting Even bf1942 could do urban settings.

Would be nice if CM added dx11 since they are already developing it for the same engine for dirt2.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2009, 06:17.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

27. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 25, 2009, 03:51 Muscular Beaver

One thing I noticed with such situations is that people always bash the game that is too hard for them.
ArmA 2 is the best military sim out there. Thats a fucking fact no single person out there can deny.
But when you look at posts like here or other forums its always the same troll-arguments. Its funny and very interesting that with BF2 PR its the same thing. People are bashing it for no apparent reason. Just some things they heard somewhere or minor problems that they turn into an elephant. The worst thing is that developers sometimes try to please even these guys. And that means dumbing down gameplay by a lot.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2009, 04:03.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

26. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 21:13 DangerDog

Everything was going good till I saw this

http://kotaku.com/5367101/8-minutes-of-modern-warfare-2-story-mode

yep, looks like Call of Duty, corridor shooting at it's best.

25. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 20:29 tuddies

Well, Jimmy, IS there a better MilSim? Will OFP:DR take the throne?

Facts are facts, and ArmA2 remains peerless. This may change in a week, and if it does I will have two games that I love in my fanboy hands! I hope that OFP:DR will be more of a sim rather than a BF2/COD arcade shooter, but even if it doesn't take the MilSim crown from ArmA2 it could be a very fun game.

24. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 19:20 Wildone

Everything was going good till I saw this

http://kotaku.com/5367101/8-minutes-of-modern-warfare-2-story-mode

I haven't been a fan of COD but that looked pretty exciting..of course its 1 time thru thing

23. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 18:12 Drayth

All of those things are subjective and not really 'game changers' I have no problem with Arma2 Interface, weapons (there's not enough in Arma2?!?) Vehicles..I read you can fly a what 1 chopper in DR?wow..
Dunno..the setting looks even more bland than Arma2's!

There's things ArmA II definitely does better. No argument there. I wish we could somehow spot weld the two together. ArmA II has more in terms of graphics, weapons / vehicles / etc, even weather... there's no rain in OPFlash 2. :p

..but there's a less is more factor here too as the AI seems to be -way- better. There's a night op mission on youtube where they show off some of the commands. The one I love is there's a command that tells them not to open fire till you do. Plus they just seem to be more efficient at killing and sticking with you.

It feels like a minor miracle every time one of my guys kills an opponent in ArmA II, let alone a vehicle.

Just seems like a lot of the core gameplay elements may have been improved in DR... and six months ago I thought this game was gonna be a complete mess.

If this game's at least solid with what it does have (and sells well), it could pave the way to a really good series.

22. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 17:45 Donkey_Punch

When you are trolling BluesNews, try to be a little more discreet. Your cartoon-like troll behavior is too easily dismissed as angry teenage typing.

Your behaviour is too easily dismissed as teenage fanboyism. Here is a quote from you:

There is no better MilSim than Arma2.

You should be a little more discrete with your agenda

21. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 16:50 DangerDog

Well, not so fast. The 'robotic' sounding voices are still here but they just sound better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2aeVIHa8gM&

edit: I mean they still assemble the voices on the fly like in ArmA.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 16:51.

20. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 16:29 Dr. D. Schreber

There's.. ONE THING.. I can.. SAY.. the VOICE.. acting is.. MUCH BETTER.. at 3 o'clock!

That's at least half the reason I'm giving this a purchase over ARMA2. Holy crap, that was one of the most obnoxious things in the history of gaming. Not the most, but certainly in the top twenty.

What's really hilarious is checking Youtube vids of Arma and seeing people defend the ridiculous Microsoft Sam because there's so much to the game it's impossible to do dynamic squad chatter with interchangeable phrases instead of individual words. Done by different voices. With different inflections. Because men with their boots on the ground in a combat zone apparently deliberately say their information in more complicated ways just because the map area of operations is bigger than in other games warzones, instead of being as simplistic and easy to understand as possible.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

19. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Sep 24, 2009, 16:27 Wildone

And Arma2 isn't or never has pretended to be a COD style action game, so why one earth you'd get into it expecting that is beyond belief..

Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Sep 24, 2009, 14:20 theyarecomingforyou
From the videos it seems to be more arcadey than Arma2..

And that's definitely a good thing - there's nothing more irritating than travelling half way across a huge map only to immediately die from an enemy you never saw in the far distance. I don't play games to simulate tedious tasks or to irritate me. And ArmA2 had buildings deploy out of nowhere, which completely broke immersion.

18. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 16:26 Wildone

All of those things are subjective and not really 'game changers' I have no problem with Arma2 Interface, weapons (there's not enough in Arma2?!?) Vehicles..I read you can fly a what 1 chopper in DR?wow..
Dunno..the setting looks even more bland than Arma2's!

17. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Sep 24, 2009, 16:16 Agent.X7

There's.. ONE THING.. I can.. SAY.. the VOICE.. acting is.. MUCH BETTER.. at 3 o'clock!

Haha, that's awesome dude.

Yeah, that always bugged the crap out of me.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

16. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 16:13 DangerDog

Yep, voice acting and sound effects in general are much better, while there's no lean feature the over all player movement should be a little more fluid, not stiff and 'man simulator' jerky movements.

I do get a vibe that the game will be a little repetitive in terms of the environment, being one large map based game is both a positive and a negative. While you get the open world freedom (within limits) it prevents you from having variety of scenery.

15. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 16:13 Agent.X7

Whats this bringing to the table that those last 2 dont already?

Well, I guess we should spread the news. One game per genre. Sorry, modern action combat is already taken by COD4, and Modern Strategic Combat is already taken by Arma2. I guess all those fantasy MMOs are going to be pissed to findout that WoW has already taken their spot. Dunce

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

14. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Sep 24, 2009, 15:43 Drayth

And that's definitely a good thing - there's nothing more irritating than travelling half way across a huge map only to immediately die from an enemy you never saw in the far distance. I don't play games to simulate tedious tasks or to irritate me.

Hate to tell you this but there's now three published reviews of the game and they all mention how incredibly hard it is. The PS-3 mag review gave it a 7/10 complaining through the entire review about that very thing. Walking several clicks just to get one shotted, saying something like, "You have to treat every inch of terrain as if it's lethal.".

X-Box mag gave it 8/10

A foreign console / pc mag gave it a very high score.. like a 90 something out of 100.

By the way, all the above about the difficulty is music to my ears.

-edit-
Apparently this is a MP vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2aeVIHa8gM&feature=player_embedded

There must be some AI in this though as there's one enemy soldier just standing out in the open early on in the vid... or maybe he was afk.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 15:59.

13. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Gold, Demo Delay Sep 24, 2009, 15:38 DangerDog

Been following this game for quite awhile now and with every announcement made on the official forums things have slid further and further down in terms of expectations.

While the game will support Player vs. Player multiplayer it appears to be a checklist feature, pretty doubtful that the game will have dedicated servers, the avoidance of answering the question on the forums pretty much speaks for itself.

It looks like they've went with Games for Windows LIVE for the multiplayer component on the PC, this and the above probably indicates games will only be hosted by the player.

They just mentioned that the two PvP modes will only have four maps out of the box, with promise of extra content by way of DLC. The PC version will ship with mission editor but then it's a matter of distributing maps to everyone and trying to keep up with the latest version plus the effectiveness of player created maps being worth playing in the first place (that is if the PvP multiplayer component is ever working).

There won't be a join in progress feature for co-op play, this has also let some people to speculate the PvP won't have join in progress either, much like the way Far Cry 2 was.

The single player might be decent enough, most early reviews which have completely omitted the multiplayer portion have given it high marks, some of it could just be console euphoria of having a more mature shooter to play for a change. There have been some reports that the game has lack luster AI and it's easy to miss triggers for events that can break the mission script, or to do something unintended by the mission designer and break the script requiring a restart of the mission.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo