Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Screenshots

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 21:33 siapnar

Although I love the STALKER series, I'm pretty dissapointed in the fact that there are practically no new player models, no new sounds, no new animations and barely any gameplay enhancements in each new addition.
So who out of the team is actually workin on this one? Level designers and mission scripters?

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 18:35 4D-Boxing

LittleMe

Taste is subjective so I have no problem with your comment...

On my end I would say that STALKER CS is equal to Crysis when it comes to graphic quality.

Crysis has an edge in some departments & STALKER CS has an edge in others. Played both at 2560x1600 & before that at 1920x1200. I have to admit that the STALKER screeshots I've taken look better than the Crysis screenshots (both games maxed out).

Characters in CS are brutal same with the monsters... but the buildings, vehicles, Environmental effects and lighting are better than Crysis.

Crysis has better vegetation, characters & water plus the wildlife adds a little something.

I have not seen a single good screenshot for Call of Pripyat or even CS?!

But then again it's all about gameplay.

Lets hope that the people cryin about DX11 support will relaxe a bit... DX11 is only there to extend the life of the engine since they are not EA or MS...a good thing for modders...

9. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 15:01 Bumpy

Nice additions to the graphics but they don't exactly make a huge impact on the visuals. I found DX10.1 with the addition of FSAA much more important.  

8. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 14:23 LittleMe

So, what, tessellation is an automatic effect (to a degree), or do the devs have to actually create ridiculous poly count models, and tessellation just swaps them out depending on framerate? Isn't that called LOD?

It's all done on the hardware, including a distance vector so that distant objects aren't tessellated so performance remains high. No, I don't think devs don't have to create high poly count models. That's the point of tessellation.

You'd think by now there would be a mechanism for "curved" surfaces without modeling and rendering an infinitely large number of polygons.

I think some of the curved poly surfaces can be created by development software so that each and very triangle doesn't have to be hand-made by a developer.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2009, 14:24.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

7. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 13:58 PHJF

So, what, tessellation is an automatic effect (to a degree), or do the devs have to actually create ridiculous poly count models, and tessellation just swaps them out depending on framerate? Isn't that called LOD?

You'd think by now there would be a mechanism for "curved" surfaces without modeling and rendering an infinitely large number of polygons.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 13:45 theyarecomingforyou

What the hell is tessellation in GPU terms? Just looks like they replaced the model with a higher poly one.
That's exactly what tessellation does. Here's a video that demonstrates the effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVo_5VCWIzM

Basically it's a HUGE deal and offers a real visual difference, unlike DX10. Unlike DX10 games where they had to cheat to sell it, the difference here is legitimate.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 12:57 PHJF

What the hell is tessellation in GPU terms? Just looks like they replaced the model with a higher poly one.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 12:35 Umbragen

The tessellation is impressive. The realistic diffraction patterns are cool but I don't know how good shadows really need to be.  

3. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 12:27 LittleMe

IMO S.T.A.L.K.E.R. never had great graphics and from these screenshots it seems like they are not throwing lots of talent in the graphics department.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 10:48 skyguy

DirectX 11 tesselation gives characters bigger heads.

1. Re: Morning Screenshots Sep 24, 2009, 09:55 Cock A Doodle Do

Umm. I don't see much of a difference at all.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo