Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arkham Asylum Sells Well

Eidos Interactive announces that over 2.5 million copies of Batman: Arkham Asylum have shipped since the superhero game emerged from the Batcave and headed into stores. "Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the stand-out games this year," says Phil Rogers, CEO of Eidos. "Ive been following the great reviews and consumer blogs and Im delighted that gamers everywhere love playing this game as much as we do." The announcement also quotes Martin Tremblay: "The tremendous critical and commercial success of Batman: Arkham Asylum sets a new benchmark for superhero games," says the President of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Rocksteady Studios created an excellent game and the sales numbers demonstrate how a powerful franchise fused with high-quality production resonates with consumers."

View
152 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

152. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 29, 2009, 08:31 Beamer

If your answer is no, I'm not really sure what that says about you other than you are deluding yourself.

Your life must be a horrible, shallow, petty little one.

Actually, he did. I never said I QA flash games.

No, but we know you're not developing console games. You've said that. So we know you're not working for any large development company. Given how you're so pro-piracy, something you find very rarely at any development company releasing retail SKUs, it's not a terrible assumption that you're working in the casual game market.

The QA part is because I strongly doubt you're doing any serious design decisions, given that you've never posted a real critique of any game's design from anything other than a fan perpsective. You've never shown any insight that would come from creating games similar to the ones you play.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

151. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 28, 2009, 16:38 Jerykk

He didn't say anything Jerykk hasn't said at one time or another.

Actually, he did. I never said I QA flash games.

This, combined with your homophobia, says so much about you.

So you disagree? Interesting. So if you could choose between a girl who is incredibly hot, smart and has a great personality versus a girl who who has the exact same smarts and personality but not the looks, you wouldn't choose the first?

If your answer is no, I'm not really sure what that says about you other than you are deluding yourself.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 16:51.

150. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 28, 2009, 14:06 The PC Warrior

He didn't say anything Jerykk hasn't said at one time or another. You know more about the posters here than he does? Swings both ways.  

149. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 28, 2009, 12:56 Sepharo

Whatever. As I've said before, the nice part about it all is that you're insignificant. Your QA on Flash games has no impact on the marketplace. Your ideas and desires affect no one other than those unfortunate enough to be around you as you grumble away about "the good old days." I'll never bump into you at any GDCs or IGDA conferences. You'll never be in a position where you make a genuine decision. And you don't even support your favorite industry with your money, choosing instead to pirate more often than not.

I am so sick of this...

Stop pretending you know anything about people posting here.

148. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 28, 2009, 09:41 Beamer

This statement makes it all to clear that you take offense to the term "settling." In truth, we would all like to date or marry supermodels with brains and personalities that match their looks. Unfortunately, this is not an option for most of us so we settle for women with just brains and personality. It may not sound nice but that's just the way it is.

This, combined with your homophobia, says so much about you.

I don't even know why I bother. You live in a black & white world, one in which everything you do is great and your opinions are always right. If anyone thinks anything different they're "settling."

Whatever. As I've said before, the nice part about it all is that you're insignificant. Your QA on Flash games has no impact on the marketplace. Your ideas and desires affect no one other than those unfortunate enough to be around you as you grumble away about "the good old days." I'll never bump into you at any GDCs or IGDA conferences. You'll never be in a position where you make a genuine decision. And you don't even support your favorite industry with your money, choosing instead to pirate more often than not.

-------------

147. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 28, 2009, 07:49 Verno

FYI while you were telling everyone how superior you were, the rest of us were all, you know gaming.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

146. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 28, 2009, 04:28 Jerykk

Is the guy that lives on the dirt road and likes spending his weekends at Home Depot "settling?" Of course not.

Actually, he is. He's not driving a truck for the driving experience. He's driving a truck because that's the only vehicle that's practical for his everyday needs. He's trading the superior driving experience for practicality. In other words, he's settling for an inferior driving experience because he values other things more. I still don't understand why you can't recognize this. Everybody settles for something. We typically settle for inferior things when we don't really care about them. I often settle for microwaved food rather than stovetop cooking, even though the stovetop cooking produces better-tasting results. Why? Because I don't really care. Just because I don't care doesn't mean I'm not settling for inferior results.

I don't know, maybe I'm not being specific enough for you. This debate centers on gaming and the fundamental game experience that each platform can provide. Tertiary considerations like price and convenience are not part of of this experience. They surround the experience, yes, but are not directly part of it. PC gamers settle for inconvenience and higher price of entry because they prioritize the superior gaming experience. Console gamers settle for the inferior gaming experience because they prioritize convenience and lower price of entry. Both parties are settling for something. Nobody here has ever argued otherwise. Maybe it's just the word "settling" that offends you so much. Don't take it as an insult. It's just the word that best describes the acceptance of something inferior because you value something else more. You can't prioritize one thing without settling for another.

Examples of settling: "I like chocolate but I'm not going to pay $10 for this apparently superb chocolate bar. I'll get this $0.75 chocolate bar instead." In this case, you are settling for inferior chocolate because you value money more.

"This car has fantastic acceleration and handling but the mileage is terrible. I'll go with the slower, less tight car because it gets more miles." In this case, you are settling for inferior performance because you place greater value on mileage.

"The PC has better graphics, performance, controls and mods but all my friends already have 360s and I want to play with them." In this case, you are settling for inferior graphics, performance, controls and a lack of mods so that you can easily play your games with your friends.

I can't wait to tell your wife (or future wife [or husband]) that, since she's not a model, you "settled" for her.

This statement makes it all to clear that you take offense to the term "settling." In truth, we would all like to date or marry supermodels with brains and personalities that match their looks. Unfortunately, this is not an option for most of us so we settle for women with just brains and personality. It may not sound nice but that's just the way it is.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2009, 04:33.

145. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 23:43 Beamer

Of course, part of the problem is "convenience" is the only thing you can admit consoles do better than PCs.

I can't wait to tell your wife (or future wife [or husband]) that, since she's not a model, you "settled" for her.

-------------

144. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 23:35 Beamer

However, it offers a superior driving experience than other cars.

Unfair comparison, as you picked a product with no real flaws. As it stands the Veyron is an excellent daily driver and very well mannered.

How about the guy that buys a Dodge Ram over a 1976 Porsche 911. The Porsche accelerates faster. It brakes quicker. It turns on a dime. But it's a nightmare daily driver, as it takes constant attention. Look off the road to change the radio station and you're in on-coming traffic. Want to go to Home Depot and buy some mulch? Tough luck, it can't even fit your golf clubs. Live on a dirt road? Well, you're not driving down that, either.
Is the guy that lives on the dirt road and likes spending his weekends at Home Depot "settling?" Of course not.

It's almost unfathomable to me that you think he is. Why in god's name are there cars other than sports cars if he is? Why are there netbooks, for that matter?
You must be one of those idiots that can't understand why someone would buy a 9" netbook when you can get a 15" laptop for about the same price. Why "settle" for a netbook when you can get a much larger, much heavier laptop with far less battery?

-------------

143. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 22:19 Jerykk

Peeps like things that aren't the same. This is good. What is good for you is not good for all. What is best to you is not best to all.

Sigh. Alright. This probably won't work but here goes:

Is having $15 better than having $5? Yes, yes it is. It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, $15 is better than $5. Similarly, 1920x1200 is better than 1280x720. It doesn't matter if you're 2 feet away or 8 feet away, 1920x1200 is still better than 1280x720. 100 FPS is better than 30 FPS. Doesn't matter if you're blind or if you even care about framerate. 100 > 30.

Do you honestly believe that playing a game at 1920x1200, 8xAA, 16xAF, at 60 FPS offers the exact same experience as playing the same game at 1280x720, 2xAA, 0xAF, 30 FPS? You keep arguing that it's subjective but it's not. The first experience is unquestionably better than the second. Whether or not you care about having the better experience is completely irrelevant to this debate.

The optical zoom is only 3x. It's vastly inferior to my digital SLR. And the digital SLR is most likely inferior to actual film.

So you admit that your camera is inferior? That's great! Now why can't you do the same with consoles?

Yet I'm not complacent.

Ok, I'm sorry I used the word "complacent." I thought and still think it's the most accurate word to describe people who favor convenience over quality but if it offends you, I will retract it. Console gamers are not complacent. They are simply willing to settle for inferior graphics, performance and controls in favor of convenience.

Yet I'm not complacent. An SLR camera won't fit in my pocket. I can't bring it everywhere I go, and if I took it out in a bar I'd just look creepy. I'm not settling for less quality.

Uh, yes you are. You have the option to take higher quality photos but you choose not to in favor of convenience. The technical quality of photos is not subjective. You are settling for lower quality pictures because there are other considerations you value more. That doesn't change the fact that you are settling for lower quality pictures.

Console gamers are getting more quality out of a console. I cannot believe this is impossible for you to understand. 16xAA is meaningless to them! They want something they can play easily with their friends. They want something comfortable to play. The console is vastly better at the PC for this.

Consoles are more convenient. On this, everyone agrees. More comfortable? I guess that depends on your furniture. My computer chair is pretty comfy. If you insist on sitting on a couch, you can always get wireless PC peripherals. In any case, neither of these things has to do with the actual game experience itself. A Bugatti Veyron is expensive, high-maintenance and generally impractical for daily use. I'm not sure it's even street-legal. However, it offers a superior driving experience than other cars. The PC is similar. It has a higher initial price, it's higher-maintenance, has a steeper learning curve and is generally less convenient than consoles. However, it offers superior graphics, performance and controls. These are all fundamental parts of the game experience. Therefore, PC offers the superior game experience. Consoles offer superior convenience. This debate isn't about convenience, though. It's about the actual game experience.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2009, 22:24.

142. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 20:09 Beamer

Once again, we aren't saying that presentation, performance and controls comprise the whole gameplay experience. Just

That other guy is.

As for "complacent," what adjective would you prefer to describe someone who is is willing to settle for lesser quality?

It's not "lesser quality!"
Must I say this monosyllabically for you to get it?
Peeps like things that aren't the same. This is good. What is good for you is not good for all. What is best to you is not best to all.

How about yet another analogy?
I use a point-and-shoot digital camera mostly. The purple fringing on it is terrible. The options I can mess with are limited. The optical zoom is only 3x. It's vastly inferior to my digital SLR. And the digital SLR is most likely inferior to actual film. Yet I'm not complacent. An SLR camera won't fit in my pocket. I can't bring it everywhere I go, and if I took it out in a bar I'd just look creepy. I'm not settling for less quality. I'm not apathetic. I'm not unconcerned. For the photographic priorities I have a digital point-and-shoot is best. In fact, if I brought my SLR camera out with me I'd be complacent, because I'd be using the wrong tool for the job.

Console gamers are getting more quality out of a console. I cannot believe this is impossible for you to understand. 16xAA is meaningless to them! They want something they can play easily with their friends. They want something comfortable to play. The console is vastly better at the PC for this. It's much better quality under these priorities.

Why is this so frickin' impossible for you to understand?

-------------

141. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 17:36 Prez

Well, I wouldn't play a shooter with a gamepad unless you paid me, but that's personal preference. I'd hardly call it a fault that someone else likes it.

Again, if someone were to design a control scheme that wasn't as unwieldy and impractical for the living room as a mouse and keyboard are, I have no doubt console gamers would be all over it, as there clearly is no substitute for the level of control afforded by that scheme. But it hasn't happened. The Nintendo Wii controller seems like it might have been designed with that type of goal in mind, but if it was, it failed. I'm not sure it can be done, but then again, I've been surprised by the inventiveness and creativity of designers before.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

140. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 17:09 Jerykk

But that's neither the whole "gameplay experience" nor are people valuing other things "complacent."

Once again, we aren't saying that presentation, performance and controls comprise the whole gameplay experience. Just a significant portion of it. As for "complacent," what adjective would you prefer to describe someone who is is willing to settle for lesser quality? Apathetic? Unconcerned? Easily satisfied? If you're willing to settle for inferior presentation, performance and controls in favor of convenience, that means you don't really care about having the best game experience.

Console gamers are not content to a fault.

One could very easily argue otherwise. Why would anyone opt to play a shooter with a gamepad when it is quantifiably the inferior control scheme for that genre? That seems like a fault to me. Why would anyone embrace regenerating health or aim assist? In my opinion, these mechanics have done a great amount of harm to games. "Faults" are subjective, of course. The fact that the PC offers a superior game experience is not.

139. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 11:59 Beamer

We're not missing the point. The problem is that we are arguing completely different points. You are arguing that people like things for different reasons. That's great. Nobody disagrees. We are arguing that there are objective, quantifiable measures of quality and that the PC is superior in this regard.

But that's neither the whole "gameplay experience" nor are people valuing other things "complacent."

The 30 year old that won't move out of mom's basement despite having a good paying job is complacent.
The console gamer is not.

Again, according to the OED, complacent = "content to a fault." Console gamers are not content to a fault. There is no fault here.

-------------

138. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 11:17 theyarecomingforyou

We're not missing the point. The problem is that we are arguing completely different points. You are arguing that people like things for different reasons. That's great. Nobody disagrees. We are arguing that there are objective, quantifiable measures of quality and that the PC is superior in this regard.
Exactly.

We're not thinking that at all. We're thinking that 100 FPS with 8xAA and 16xAF is better than 30 FPS with 2xAA and 0xAF.
lol. Again, exactly.

CoD4 was one of the best shooters I've ever played on the PC and I've played them all.
Obviously that's your opinion and it is largely subjective but if you're referring to the singleplayer - and not the multiplayer - then I would have to say that there are MUCH better games out there. To me calling COD4 the best PC shooter is like calling Superman Returns the best comic book movie.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

137. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 27, 2009, 00:40 Elricsi

PS3 OWNZ Jooz!

PC is the SUXOR!

(A lot of these posts appear like that, or the opposite.)

Can't we all just get along?

136. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 26, 2009, 22:39 Eldaron Imotholin

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

135. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 26, 2009, 22:34 Jerykk

You constantly repeating superior and inferior over and over while missing the point is getting pretty frustrating.

That's not how people work.

This isn't about people, it's about videogame platforms and their technical abilities. Take a game, make it prettier and faster while retaining the same core gameplay. That is the superior experience. Whether Joe McAverageConsumer cares about the superior experience has nothing to do with the point we're arguing.

If you want to go on thinking 100fps with no AA is "superior" to 60fps with 2xAA or whatever then go crazy.

We're not thinking that at all. We're thinking that 100 FPS with 8xAA and 16xAF is better than 30 FPS with 2xAA and 0xAF.

134. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 26, 2009, 22:29 Beamer

I think the larger ongoing problem has always been that the industry has been stuck in "kiddie" mode too long, particularly with consoles, which for a very long time were viewed basically as children's toys.

Yup.
Now, though, with PC development stagnating and console development rising we'll hit some kind of equalibrium. And hopefully devs will realize that there's a target audience for M games that like complexity. Maybe not some of the ridiculous complexity of late 80s sims, but something that can give us System Shocks (although, if you remember, the PC didn't really support the complexity of System Shock 2, either. It was kind of swept under the rug, loved by die-hards but a commercial failure.)

The real setback will always be the lack of buttons. There's only so much that can be done with console controllers. It's not an issue for most games, though, and those genres that require more buttons are mostly dead. Flight sims? Complex strategy games? How many of those come out?

-------------

133. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Sep 26, 2009, 21:22 The PC Warrior

Yes, some people prefer inferior control systems, like I prefer inferior music quality... the fact someone chooses to use the inferior method for reasons outside the gameplay experience does not mean it isn't the inferior method.

Why can't you understand that?

You constantly repeating superior and inferior over and over while missing the point is getting pretty frustrating. You seem to want to assign an objective standard to things like graphics, input methods and music. That's not how people work. If it was we would not have 50 different formats for storing music nor hundreds of different video codecs nor various input methods. What is superior to you is inferior to someone else and so on. I don't know how much more clear I can be. You cannot apply a label and standard to something just because it is your preference. If you want to go on thinking 100fps with no AA is "superior" to 60fps with 2xAA or whatever then go crazy. Just stop trying to tell everyone else "My opinion is objective and you're all incorrect because technical specifications and input methods are not open to opinion" because opinion is exactly you're applying to your own supposedly "objective" standard.

I for one am hopeful. After all, if console game improve to the point that they are indistinguishable from PC games, "multiplatform" and "port" can stop being dirty words, and everybody wins.

Yup, exactly Prez! It's like that old West Wing quote about the NRA "I don't understand you anti-gun people, the NRA has 2 million members, you bring 3 million to next years meeting and you run the table". PC devs and PC gamers getting their feet wet in the console world will do more to change the console world than it will to change those people. We went from the days of Super Mario 64 to Fallout 3 appearing on consoles already.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2009, 21:24.

152 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo