Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top Ten

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 08:17 StingingVelvet

If you buy RFG, do it for singleplayer, definately. I have seen some random people praise multi, but I don't think it will take off as a large online fanbase game at all.

I know a lot of people are playing RE5 co-op right now, since the game is built for it almost as much as Left 4 Dead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 07:37 spindoctor

ColoradoHoudini:

The Mp is a bit of a mixed bag really. Firstly, it uses GFWL for matchmaking. Which means no server browser, only lobbies that you can join. The lobbies don't even have basic chat functionality. I've been able to get into a game almost everytime I try (on my own). However, when I party up with a friend and we search together, the matchmaking has failed. If the system can't find a game, it will create a lobby for you and others can join. In party matchmaking, this always happens and I have invariably been kicked out of the lobby that I created after a while. It's quite stupid.

As for the game itself, I'd say it's about average. You play it as a 3rd person shooter... there are weapons scattered around the levels, some good, some bad. There are also different backpacks that you can choose to give you a special ability on a fairly short cooldown. These include invisibility, amplified damage, fast running and things like that. Everyone should get at least one and tactics depend on using the backpacks properly.

It has the usual gameplay modes, deathmatch, team death match, CTF etc. The size of the server is decided by the mode you play. Team deathmatch is usually 3v3. Deathmatch is 5 people. CTF can be 4v4/5v5. The largest you can go is 7v7 I think, maybe 8v8. But you're not likely to get that many people in a game anyway. Most games I've played have had between 5-10 people. There are a couple of interesting game modes which take advantage of the destruction motif of Red Faction. Siege is where you have 2 teams, one is trying to destroy specified target buildings and the other tries to stop them from doing so. After the time limit, the teams swap roles and the winner is the one who could destroy stuff better. Another is demolition, which is like Unreal Tournament's domination mode... You have to capture and control certain points in the map. To capture it, you need to repair a building on the point. To take over another team's point, you have to destroy their building and then repair it to make it your own.

Overall, I'd say MP is average. It doesn't have anything that will keep people playing it for very long... I'd be surprised if it remained populated past the end of this year (except for hardcore fans).

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

36. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 04:38 BobBob

I'm starting to avoid anything that isn't available on Steam. Using Steam based games are so much easier to manage, install, re-install, back-up, etc.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

35. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 02:16 Kosumo

Ok, I'll help him. Dude if you need a hand punching the children, I can help. (I can kick too, but like a girl, so would rather be on punching duties)  

34. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 00:54 Narf2029

Come on guys, help the dude out. Think of the children.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

33. Re: Jedi Knight collection Sep 21, 2009, 00:36 StingingVelvet

Nor is it very clear that it will not work in some cases on modern hardware. It says it runs on Windows Vista and 7 but if you read the forums there are issues of people not being able to run it on those OSes-- at all. Yes, its a good deal (if it works). Good deal or not I'm not paying for software that won't run.

Works on Win7 and Vista for me, just fine... it's not an OS issue.

The only consistent issue with those games I have seen is a lot of ATI cards won't run them wit 3D acceleration enabled.

32. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 00:35 ColoradoHoudini

If someone doesnt give me an answer on the MP aspect of RFG, I'm going to start punching children, the elderly and the less fortunate, in that order.

31. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 21, 2009, 00:15 Jerykk

Surround sound doesn't work. You have to manually set Windows' speaker config to stereo.

In Windows 7, that doesn't work. I'm using headphones and my system is set up for headphones but I still get screwed up audio. In XP, it's fine.

30. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 22:41 ColoradoHoudini

How's the MP?
lots of people playing or what?

29. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 22:37 PHJF

Secondly, I'm having an audio issue where all sounds seem to blast in my ears except for VOs, which are subdued.

Surround sound doesn't work. You have to manually set Windows' speaker config to stereo.

That's why I said:

That's how you define "slightly irritating?"

I've had surround sound on my PC for five years. This isn't cutting edge stuff.

For speed issue, try the trainer by h4x0r, which includes speed hacks located here:

http://m0007.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_red_faction_guerrilla.shtml

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2009, 22:43.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 21:51 Jerykk

The game plays super fast, like I'm in fast-forward mode on something. This only happens on Windows 7 though. On XP, it runs at normal speed. However, my actual framerate on XP seems a lot crappier unless I turn off AA.  

27. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 20:45 ColoradoHoudini

Jerykk

So the gameplay is too fast or what?
How is multiplayer? it is 8vs8 or more or what?
The videos make the game look awesome. but I cant find mp numbers and overall experience with that..
any insight?

26. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 20:32 Jerykk

I'm having big issues with RFG. For one, it runs way too fast, as if the gameplay speed is tied to the framerate. Secondly, I'm having an audio issue where all sounds seem to blast in my ears except for VOs, which are subdued.  

25. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 20:16 ColoradoHoudini

hahaha it doesn't surprise me that that steaming pile of fail called "Section 8" is not on the list. God damn terrible game.

So Red Faction in good eh? I wish I could sell back my Section 8 game and pick up Red Faction.

Is there a RFG mp demo or sp demo?
i cant find it..

It's p2p gaming connectivity for mp? is it any good or what?
how many players per match? 16/32?

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2009, 20:30.

24. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 19:30 jimnms

People are still buying Counterstrike Source? Why then, if there are a steady influx of noobs to that game, do I get owned so completely whenever I log on? You would think sooner or later I'd run into a couple of them.
It could be that CS:S is bundled with a lot of other games, or possibly people want to play a mod that requires a source game and CS:S is probably the cheapest.

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 19:21 Creston

That's how you define "slightly irritating?"

1) Switch sound to desktop stereo.
2) Start game.
3) Alt-Tab back to desktop, switch sound to 5.1.
4) Play game with sound perfectly fine.

Yeah, to me, that's slightly irritating. It takes ten seconds to work around, though I'd rather I didn't have to.

Creston

22. Re: Jedi Knight collection Sep 20, 2009, 18:41 Wookiestick

Well they clearly did not say improved, all new, and/or remastered - in which case you'd be paying much, much more than $20 for the pack.

Nor is it very clear that it will not work in some cases on modern hardware. It says it runs on Windows Vista and 7 but if you read the forums there are issues of people not being able to run it on those OSes-- at all. Yes, its a good deal (if it works). Good deal or not I'm not paying for software that won't run.

Love thy wookie.

21. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 18:35 Krovven

When you edit the controls the On screen indicators for QTE's are dynamic to display the controls to what you changed them to. So I don't know why anyone would have trouble with them. As for the controls being "clunky", it has nothing to do with the port or the M&K functionality. The game is not a run & gun shooter, and controls function as originally designed for the game.

And the game looks and runs awesome in Dx10!

20. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 18:29 peteham

RE5 is not really my style, but it looks really nice and plays well with a KB&M.
Been playing it coop with a friend this weekend and it's been a blast so far. Like a fellow bluesnewser pointed out, it's definitely a coop game. Mouse&keyboard controls are decent but still a fair bit clunkier than they had to be. Then again, mouse-aim is still a major advantage compared to playing with a pad.

The major disadvantage of playing with mouse and keyboard are the QTEs.. These are such a major pain in the ass when the buttons happen to be A, D, F, V by default. And really, you can't improve it much. It won't be WASD no matter what you do unless you map action/partner-action to W and S.. I really hate QTEs to begin with, and the ones that include the F+V combo piss me off every time because it pretty much always ends up in watching the cutscene at least 5 times. And with two people involved, the chance of failing is doubles, obviously. They even threw in some occasional randomization so you can't fully rely on memorization. Just for this, I'm deducting 2 points from my score

However, when all is said and done, it's an excellent port. Super-fluid even on my relatively modest machine, and not one crash so far.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2009, 18:34.

19. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 18:22 Jerykk

I just beat Batman. Great game. I think I'll actually pay full price for it.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo