Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands Interview

The Borderlands Interview on Skewed & Reviewed chats with Chase Sensky, Associate Producer on Borderlands, Gearbox Software's upcoming role-playing shooter. Topics include the game's setting, featured locales, weapons and more of the basics, as will as a discussion of storytelling in a shooter, obstacles they overcame during development, and more.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 20, 2009, 17:01 space captain

i hear you on 4E tho - its almost like a card game at this point, with all the different powers "at-will" "encounter" and "daily" and so forth, and the "healing surges" and so on

it has nothing to do with 1st edition except the name and some spells, classes, races, etc. - the rules and the basic idea is totally different

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 20, 2009, 15:28 HeadWound

I was responding to post #1, I was unclear. I pretty much agree with you.  

5. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 20, 2009, 07:49 Prez

Space Captain hit the nail on the head. I think if you asked everyone here what their definition of RPG is, no 2 answers would be the same. People from similar age demographics would likely have similar answers, but RPG means so many things to so many people, it's become almost a useless description.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 20, 2009, 01:39 space captain

Have you played 4E Dungeons and Dragons?

yes

This may be pretty close to some peoples idea of role playing.

thats what i said in my initial comment.

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 19, 2009, 23:41 HeadWound

Have you played 4E Dungeons and Dragons? This may be pretty close to some peoples idea of role playing.

Personally, it looks fun to me.

2. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 19, 2009, 19:13 space captain

its like a sci-fi fps version of diablo - but i dont think they can use that in a PR campaign..

the classification of "RPG" is just way too bastardized at this point.. theres no point in attempting to clarify anymore - its a waste of time

its been a consequence of true RPGs being so fun and compelling that developers are constantly stealing bits and peices of RPG mechanics and sprinkling them into their games, and the marketing claim of "rpg elements" was just an added bonus - apparently gearbox thinks that they can just sprinkle in "rpg elements" and then go ahead and call it a "RPG" anyways.. you know, if anything was a "role playing shooter" it would be Fallout 3 - not this kind of thing

this is a FPS game, with rpg features.. just like diablo was an action game with rpg features

its mostly a pointless debate, considering the vast majority of people have no clue about the wide gradient of RPGs introduced by this bastardization over the years.. so is gearbox being accurate? not really, but as far as the unwashed masses are concerned - they are close enough

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Borderlands Interview Sep 19, 2009, 18:52 ldonyo

I'll believe it's a "role-playing shooter" as soon as they talk about something resembling role-playing being in the game. And no, simply going up in levels does not constitute role-playing.  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo