Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer

A video clearly marked "confidential video - internal use only" has been leaked onto the YouTube (NSFW), showing footage from an alpha version of The Witcher 2, CD Projekt RED's upcoming action/RPG sequel. The over five minute clip includes narration from Marcin Iwiński and other members of the development team. They reveal "Assassins of Kings" as the game's subtitle and show off the game's graphics, a new dialog system, how the player's actions impact the game world, independent NPC activities, their use of Havoc physics, the addition of QuickTime Events (everyone's favorite), and more. Thanks Dave via Kotaku. There's now a comment about this on The Witcher Website:

“Of course, we can’t and won’t try to deny the facts. The movie that appeared on the various sites yesterday presents our newest project, The Witcher 2, which we’ve been working on for some time. We made something about half year ago, to present the first playable version of the game.” said Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED. “Currently we are looking for a potential publisher (or publishers) for this title, and this leak is an uncontrolled side effect of that process. For today, we are not commenting on anything that concerns the game itself.”

More information about The Witcher 2 will be unveiled alongside the official announcement.

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

63. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Sep 24, 2009, 13:23 Verno

You have a host of abilities and methods to customize your character in Diablo that aren't really present in The Witcher. The Witcher is basically simon says, Diablo's combat may be repetitive but it's a lot more interactive.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Sep 21, 2009, 23:09 Overon

An observation: The people who find witcher's click combat bad, are some of the same people that love diablo style click fest. In witcher you have to time your clicks at least, while in diablo you don't. Yet diablo is so beloved. I never understood that.  

61. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Sep 21, 2009, 12:56 Verno

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as flamebait around here.

Far from it! I think it's fantastic CD Projekt is going to reap the benefits of multi-platform releases. The sheer income from their console projects will ensure more titles from this excellent developer and hopefully better contracts with their publishers. No reason not to develop console versions, the gameplay in these titles is easily replicated on them.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

60. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 21, 2009, 00:08 shponglefan

There were three different fighting styles you could use but you didn't manually block, parry or even attack. You simply initiated an attack and then clicked again to continue the attack when the prompts popped up. It looked cool but wasn't very engaging.

The combat in The Witcher reminded me of old-school turn-based combat (except in real-time). I agree, a little more depth would have been nice, but I think it was designed to mimic classic RPG combat.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2009, 00:08.

59. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 20, 2009, 23:10 Jerykk

Er...didn't the witcher have that? Blocking, quick/med/strong attack styles, at any rate.

There were three different fighting styles you could use but you didn't manually block, parry or even attack. You simply initiated an attack and then clicked again to continue the attack when the prompts popped up. It looked cool but wasn't very engaging.

58. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 20, 2009, 14:32 MacD

Er...didn't the witcher have that? Blocking, quick/med/strong attack styles, at any rate. Parry...can't remember if it had that, but it did have traps, magic and elixers.

What I liked about the witcher's combat was that although combo's were QTE dependant, combat itself was not: it was 'physics' based as in it was dependant on where you were and the slicing circle of your sword, so your agility/movement was a factor.

57. Re: The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer Sep 20, 2009, 14:01 MacD

Wow. I hadn't realised that the US had gone that far down that hole...

Not saying anything, just observin'.

56. Re: The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer Sep 20, 2009, 13:54 MacD

? What are you talking about? Did you not install the patch?  

55. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 13:18 Starang

This is great news, The Witcher lists as one of my all time favorite games so a sequel is something I am really looking forward to. Now let's hope it does not get the console treatment and it ends up like Deus Ex Invisible war.  

54. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 13:10 PHJF

I love it when kids these days use Oblivion as a benchmark for RPG success. "Oh gee what the fucks, it's not a sandbox game? ZOMG it must totally suck."

Hey, newsflash, RPGs used to focus on telling a good story. The Witcher was the closest thing in a long time to titles of the good old days.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

53. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 06:28 Jerykk

So yeah, how about we don't have QTE's eh, lets just remove the entire combat from The Witcher to make the complainers happy

Actually, I was kind of hoping they'd give the player more control over combat in Witcher 2. The ability to block, parry, quick attack, strong attack, etc.

52. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 05:57 eRe4s3r

Also, The Witcher required linearity because many characters you meet you meet again later and see how your choices affected them (or not, if you killed them ,p)

That would be impossible with non-linear story, because you would have a chance to never meet a character that may be vital to the plot (in The Witcher, you definitely meet all characters relevant to the plot) . And that is also why the gameworld is limited by the magic fence, if it were not, you would miss elements of the world - The Layout of each zone is that way for a reason, to guide you to your goals but also to not keep you too loose on that leash, called Story.

51. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 05:50 NKD

Nothing wrong with more linear RPGs. They tend to have a fair bit more depth then the open world RPGs.

In an open world RPG, many of the quests and events you undertake occur in no particular sequence. This means they cannot be tied together with a story narrative. So you end up with a disjointed bunch of busy-work quests from NPCs, some of which have an interesting little story to them but nothing of any depth.

In a more linear RPG, more quests and events can be placed in a sequential order and tied together with story. This leads to potentially less varied gameplay, but a much richer story.

Both approaches can yield an amazing game, IMHO.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

50. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 05:13 eRe4s3r

Well, that is true Can't deny that... but the question is, after all.. What do you search for in a game, and in what way do you want it to be?

Some like this, some like that. Not all games are made for everyone, and thats what people forget. The Witcher was made for story focused people, you don't care much about a linear story centered game, then play Oblivion or Fallout 3. No gamer is supposed to like everything, and thats good!

The thing is, i do agree with the racetrack It would have been so much more awesome if it had been entirely a open world, and the story could have affected it all.. but nobody can finance something like that. And after all, the Story is what counts in this type of game.

Since everyone likes something else more - No game is able to please everyone.

49. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 04:46 LittleMe

The Witcher is an RPG version of a race track game. It's extremely linear with too many invisible walls. Zzzz ...

Agreed. I tried to like it, but the game failed.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

48. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 04:00 BobBob

The Witcher is an RPG version of a race track game. It's extremely linear with too many invisible walls. Zzzz ...  

47. to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 19, 2009, 03:20 eRe4s3r

Yeah, because they are SO different from the timed combo attack system thats the basis of combat in The Witcher 1- right? I am still laughing.

The entire combat is based on the principle of QTE , you attack you have to press the mouse button exactly at the right moment to cue up a combo and lastly a finishing move.

So yeah, how about we don't have QTE's eh, lets just remove the entire combat from The Witcher to make the complainers happy

46. Re: us vs them Sep 19, 2009, 01:27 NKD

i always find it humorous when people identify with something so strongly they become born into its conquest as a mere slave-mind, as though they would somehow rule the world with their infantile cowering

silly localized phenomena - you amuse me

I've never understood fanboyism, at all. I've got a lot of stuff that is very exciting but I never feel obligated to leap into some flame war to "defend its honor." Nor do I spend my time moaning about ye olden glory days, and the pinnacle of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. I recognize nostalgia for what it is, and don't even begin to comprehend why someone would feel obligated to militantly defend the virtues of some hobby or technology.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

45. Re: us vs them Sep 19, 2009, 00:40 space captain

i always find it humorous when people identify with something so strongly they become born into its conquest as a mere slave-mind, as though they would somehow rule the world with their infantile cowering

silly localized phenomena - you amuse me

Go forth, and kill!

44. Re: The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer Sep 19, 2009, 00:24 NKD

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as flamebait around here.

Yeah. You even mention a console around here and a bunch of crusty old basement dwellers will rise up from their crypts and attempt to consume you with sheer crotchetiness.

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo