Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo

The Pixel Mine Forums have a very brief update saying the Fireteam Reloaded servers will be shut down on September 30, saying: "We are going to shut down the server before we move to the co-location. Thanks to all the players who helped make this game fun to work on (2x)." With no details provided, we asked Pixel Mine the reasons for ending this multiplayer action revival/remake of Multitude's Fireteam, and received the following explanation:

Just like the original Fireteam, the Reloaded version just never found the audience we needed to sustain even the maintenance costs of the servers. Despite the game being free to play, people just aren’t that interested unless it has the latest and greatest graphics, which FTR obviously did not.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 18, 2009, 18:45 everyone

This game must not have been that great. I'd never even HEARD of it or its predecessor. Maybe if they'd done a little marketing, they might have found an audience. Then again, maybe it just sucked. >_>

Well TF2 went the WoW way with graphics. Sort of taking their own artistic style rather that going for realism.

What the FUCK?!?! Are you seriously comparing TF2 to WoW? Really? No, dude, you're way off. TF2 went with an artistic style. WoW just has really fucking shitty graphics from 1995. It isn't artistic at all, it's just hideous and outdated.

The fact that some people find it fun doesn't mean the designers were trying to give it a stylized look. They were stuck with more of an outdated engine than TF2 has. There is a difference between "ugly," and "stylized."

Creston, when have you ever said something positive on this site about anything. Perhaps seek therapy?

I'm thinking maybe this IS his therapy...?

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2009, 18:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 18, 2009, 08:47 Beamer

Oh, I agree the art in TF2 is superb, but would you call the graphics state of the art, or in their words, "the latest and greatest?"

Relative to Fireteam Reloaded? Yes. FTR has a 2D engine. It pretty much looks like a sharper version of the original Fallout.

I thought the original FT was boring. I'm not surprised this game was found to be the same.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 18, 2009, 01:31 eRe4s3r

same here, i haven't even heard of Pixel Mine before, basically (to any company reading this) if the closure of servers is the first thing i hear of your game, then your marketing sucks! Not necessarily the game (although i wouldn't play it either , even if it was free)  

12. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 18, 2009, 01:01 NKD

Creston, when have you ever said something positive on this site about anything. Perhaps seek therapy?

He was talking about how excited he is for Mass Effect 2 this morning I believe. How's your therapy going? Got your dick working yet?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 23:40 Prez

TF2 has some of the best cartoon graphics in existence, and the animations are superb for a multiplayer game.

Oh, I agree the art in TF2 is superb, but would you call the graphics state of the art, or in their words, "the latest and greatest?" I certainly wouldn't. If graphics were proportional to popularity then Crysis Wars would be king of the MP heap, wouldn't it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 23:04 OneEye

9. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 21:55 Caveman

If that were the case, TF2 would have crashed and burned a while ago. It doesn't have close to the "latest and greatest" graphics
TF2 has some of the best cartoon graphics in existence, and the animations are superb for a multiplayer game. Most gam

8. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 21:35 Creston

Despite the game being free to play, people just aren’t that interested unless it has the latest and greatest graphics

Yes, that must be it, because after all, the game is FREE TO PLAY, therefore it must automatically be a gigantic hit.

It couldn't possibly be that, perhaps, your game isn't really all that great, or that perhaps people just have other things to play, which are also free?

I think you guys should make a Fireteam Reloaded Turbo Extra Special Megawatt Black edition. Then you can shut those servers down too, and complain that people just want the latest and greatest graphics.

Creston

7. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 21:34 PHJF

I've never even heard of it, so maybe the problem isn't the graphics.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 21:12 MattyC

If that were the case, TF2 would have crashed and burned a while ago. It doesn't have close to the "latest and greatest" graphics.

Well TF2 went the WoW way with graphics. Sort of taking their own artistic style rather that going for realism. Graphics like that age very well (as proven by both WoW and TF2).

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with what you are saying. Games don't need the latest and greatest. Just saying games that use a different artistic style aren't really the best examples as they age better just by virtue of what they are.

5. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 21:03 Prez

Despite the game being free to play, people just aren’t that interested unless it has the latest and greatest graphics, which FTR obviously did not.

If that were the case, TF2 would have crashed and burned a while ago. It doesn't have close to the "latest and greatest" graphics.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 20:23  Blue 

September 31

Heh, I didn't even parse that... I wrote back for further clarification, but in the meantime I have changed the story to make sense, as I assume they meant the 30th. Movingalong

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 19:27 Morgan19

Umm... October Fools'!

m19

2. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 19:26 eRe4s3r

psssht

Don't tell them!

1. Re: Fireteam Reloaded Out of Ammo Sep 17, 2009, 19:16 spindoctor