Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aion Presales Soar

With Record-Breaking Preorder Sale, Aion Takes Its Place As The Biggest MMO Release Of The Year is the announcement that nearly 400,000 preorders of Aion have been placed, saying NCsoft's fantasy-themed MMORPG is "outpacing other major MMO launches this year." This also serves as a reminder that server-pre-selection for preorder customers gets underway tomorrow, and their five-day headstart program begins on Sunday:

As a bonus to the nearly 400,000 players who have preordered their copy of Aion, they will be treated to server Pre-Selection (beginning tomorrow 18th September) and a five-day Headstart period (beginning 20th September) allowing them to get a jump start on their exploration and progression prior to the official launch on 25th September. Players can still participate in Aion’s Pre-Selection and Headstart programs by preordering the game through several participating online and brick-and-mortar retailers.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

59. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 12:42 DarkV

I enjoyed it. It reminded me of when I was in the wow beta. where you knew it brought nothing new to the table but had a ton of fun anyway. I hear ya on the old thing, i'm a young old thing at 40. lol. Hope you like it Ant. PS..hope ur downloading the client off of Fileplanet and not the launcher.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 12:20 Ant

Thanks. Was the game any good? I hate it when I am old and have no time for games and other fun stuff.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

57. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 12:16 DarkV

Ant, beta's over. Preselection today and early head start on sunday for preorders.  

56. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 12:15 DarkV

Grats to the Aion team and NCsoft. It is a fine game and looking forward to playing it this sunday. Sold my wow account for some nice bucks and never looking back. Aion here I come.  

55. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 12:04 Ant

Is the beta still on (if so, then when does it end?) or did it end? I downloaded and installed the beta, but had no time to check it out.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

54. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 10:48 Gentle Nova

The comment that all games are identical had me laughing because of something that happened to me once. I was in a restaurant with my wife and she had ordered a martini. When it came, she tasted it and it was horrible. She mentioned it to the bartender who said, "That's strange. It's just vodka, etc, etc (listing the other martini ingredients)."

When he said that, I laughed to myself because he was basically putting himself out of job because he was saying anyone could make a great drink as long as the ingredient proportions were the same. For that same reason, why go to cooking school when you can just copy the recipe out of a book at the right proportions and voila!

Same applies to game design. It's not so much the elements of the game, it's how you put them together and make them interact with one other that matters.

53. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 10:41 Prez

Entire topic tl;dr - MMOs suck, kxmode can't read, I am mean and WoW still #1.

Well, I'm sure there won't be any dissension on the 3rd point...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 18, 2009, 09:14 Verno

Entire topic tl;dr - MMOs suck, kxmode can't read, I am mean and WoW still #1.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

51. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 22:34 Sepharo

Yeah we're all just pushing buttons and clicking mice man, games are all the same

I've been clicking on heads for 10 years.

50. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 21:58 The PC Warrior

I feel this way about first person shooters. They are all nigh identical games with slightly different weapons, slightly different environments, and slightly different bad guys to shoot your slightly different weapons at.

Yeah we're all just pushing buttons and clicking mice man, games are all the same Rolleyes

49. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 20:53 Prez

But I'm also smart enough to recognize the difference between personal preferences and flawed genre.

I understand your point about personal preference, but I can, as a huge fan of the FPS, still be honest about the flaws and limitations of the genre. Your point about minimal variation in the shooter genre is, in my opinion, more a symptom of a lack of creativity than an inherent flaw. Furthermore, the FPS will often see innovation come about out of technical advancements, whereas the MMO has stayed essentially the same since Everquest. Of course, this is open for discussion, but the MMO in my opinion is hamstrung by its own severely limiting boundaries. There are only so many things that can be done within such a limited structure. Hence, why every MMO ends up fitting into the description "like WoW with a twist". The irony being WoW itself is simply a close derivation of its precursors.

That someone likes these games says nothing about their taste, sophistication, intelligence, what-have-you, with the exception of their tolerance for repetition.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 20:30 space captain

I feel this way about first person shooters. They are all nigh identical games with slightly different weapons, slightly different environments, and slightly different bad guys to shoot your slightly different weapons at.

such an accurate observation. yes all fps games are "nigh identical" Rolleyes

therefore all games are "nigh identical" within their particular genre, and therefore all games are "nigh identical" because they are games and therefore all thoughts are "nigh identical" because they are from conceptual minds and therefore all life is "nigh identical" because it dies at some point and therefore all things everywhere are "nigh identical" because they are things

isnt that fucking brilliant? im the greatest philosopher of all time

Go forth, and kill!

47. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 20:29 PHJF

Right... TF2, BF2, and CS are all so similar. You sure nailed that one.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

46. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 19:39 MMORPGHoD

Auto Assault, meh. Lineage series, not for me. Tabula Rasa, dead. CoH was good for some I guess. The Guild Wars expansions are probably the only NCSoft published titles that I considered very successful. Otherwise, NCSoft games seem mediocre to me. Then again, everything seems mediocre compared to WoW (which I am completely sick of now unfortunately).

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2009, 19:40.

45. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 19:18 creatorswhim

Auto Assault was crap. It was more WoW-like than WoW in its fawning, vacuous attention to mission grinding. What a waste.

Now, if they had made it more about world exploration and faction combat than grubbing for duct tape, that would have been fun. Too bad that in MMOs, most "exploration" means "go over there and kill 10 mutants."

44. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 18:52 Innocent

wise words, ruffiana, slightly different guns is the greatest FPS description i've ever heard. that's why TF2 was so new and fresh for FPS...same shit exactly, but with big balloony cartoony guns and characters and environments.

Additionally: regarding NCSoft being a huge MMORPG developer: i'm still pissed about the crash and burning of Auto Assault, which was a really fun mmorpg NCSoft built.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2009, 18:54.

43. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 17, 2009, 18:30 HellSlayer

yup, and I bet alot of these preorders will be canceled. Some people preorder to get early access.  
o0

42. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:58 Kxmode

Pre-orders is not the same as total sales of an expansion to a massively successful, 5 year old MMO.

Trust me Ruffiana you don't want to go down that road. I already tried. Wink

41. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:53 Ruffiana

No kidding, that's the problem: the MMO "genre" has settled into every game being a mere manifestation of a small subset of ideas. Developers change the graphics engine and nothing else. And Korean MMOs (cough, AION) are notoriously worse at being unique than Western counterparts.

But I'm also smart enough to recognize the difference between personal preferences and flawed genre.

40. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:50 Ruffiana

Yes, a massively multiplayer game will always have the "flaw" of having game play designed around multiple players.  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo