Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU

GameSpot.au reports that Left 4 Dead 2 is refused classification for sale down under, as Valve's upcoming zombie shooter sequel is the latest game to run afoul of Australia's restrictive rating system, which has rejected three other games this year (Risen, Sexy Poker, and NecroVisioN, though the latter two were approved following changes). The story also has an update with the reasoning behind this, and indications this was not a consensus decision:

The refusal largely focuses on the Board's interpretation of the game's violence finding that "The game contains realistic, frenetic and unrelenting violence which is inflicted upon "the Infected" who are living humans infected with a rabies-like virus that causes them to act violently" The ruling goes on to say that "However, it is the use of the "melee" weapons such as the crowbar, axe, chainsaw and Samurai sword which inflict the most damage. These close in attacks cause copious amounts of blood spray and splatter, decapitations and limb dismemberment as well as locational damage where contact is made to the enemy which may reveal skeletal bits and gore."

Interestingly the report also notes that "A minority of the Board is of the opinion that the violence is strong in playing impact and therefore warrants an MA 15+ classification with the consumer advice of strong violence," suggesting the ruling was anything but unanimous among Board members.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 18, 2009, 07:34 Wally Simmonds

What annoys me is that idiot Conroy is still around. Honestly, that guy is just a walking embarrassment. Normally I wouldn't give a rats about Australian politics, but if they're going to affect what I can buy because I'm geographically close, then fuck them!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Game Reviews Sep 18, 2009, 01:39 BobBob

How about these?

Horrific. It's almost hard to believe anyone can do that to other human beings. A sad statement about humanity.

26. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 18:29 space captain

australia sounds like a really fun place  
Go forth, and kill!

25. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 18:21 Talisorn

Hopefully the gamer rage will hear reach the ears of the pollies. Sure the wheels of government move slowly over here, but nothing makes a politician move faster than possible loss of votes.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2009, 18:22.

24. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 18:12 RenownWolf

What is really disappointing is that no doubt Steam will block sales to Australia also (they do it with many games and sales already).

I don't pay retail for my games here in Australia at $100-120 at EB games per game and the exchange rate at $86US to the dollar it should be much lower.

Finish uni and I'm out of here, so far behind here in technology =(

http://www.renownwolf.com

23. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 17:17 Kosumo

I wonder how this goes for New Zealand then? We get dumped in with Australia alot yet we are or own country, but by way of 'being at the end of a dead end road' if it does not ship to Aussie, they dont ship it here either.

I think this is nothing more that the Aussies getting upset at losing the Ashes Cricket series and L4D2 making fun of them with the cricket bat weapon - probly as a big stick on it saying - "Where are the Ashes Aussie?"

22. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 16:11 mch

Don't forget about Hansel and Gretel. Their kidnapper was a total witch.

Laugh2 oh man how did I miss that.

PSN: CaseDesignate

21. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 15:54 Kxmode

What young children were kidnapped and enslaved in Germany?

Why...Klaus, Freida and Otto of course.

Don't forget about Hansel and Gretel. Their kidnapper was a total witch.

20. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 15:38 Prez

How about these?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 14:55 mch

Why...Klaus, Freida and Otto of course.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2009, 14:57.

18. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 14:44 human

17. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 13:37 Zanthar

Tsk tsk, the government knows what is best your you. STFU and pay your taxes!  

16. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 13:04 Verno

Ratings in the US are done by industry associations, like the ESRB and MPAA, not by government, so ratings serve only an advisory function. They are entirely voluntary, but you can still sell an unrated product.

Too bad no stores will stock them. There is nothing voluntary about them, you are essentially blackmailed into it if you want to actually make money on a product.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

15. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 12:51 mch

An AO rating from the ESRB is a de facto ban as far as consoles are concerned, if I'm not mistaken...remembering the Manhunt fiasco.  

14. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 12:42 nullability

Ratings in the US are done by industry associations, like the ESRB and MPAA, not by government, so ratings serve only an advisory function. They are entirely voluntary, but you can still sell an unrated product.  

13. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 12:31 Kxmode

L4D unites the human race  

12. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 12:19 the_culture

I agree with this banning. Violence against re-animates has gone up 300% in the last year, and I believe L4D is in large part to blame.

Laugh2

11. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 11:50 Prez

I agree with this banning. Violence against re-animates has gone up 300% in the last year, and I believe L4D is in large part to blame.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 11:39 Fion

The US doesn't ban anything. Restrictions galor, but no bannings.

I feel bad for AU folks. First they have to wait extra for their games, then they pay out the wazoo and last half the 'cool' games are outright banned!

9. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in AU Sep 17, 2009, 10:42 Learning

These close in attacks cause copious amounts of blood spray and splatter, decapitations and limb dismemberment as well as locational damage where contact is made to the enemy which may reveal skeletal bits and gore."
Now that sounds like fun.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo