Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Jedi Knight Games Rereleased

LucasArts' Jedi Knight back catalog is now available via digital distribution as promised. You can get the Jedi Knight Bundle from Direct2Drive or individual sales of the three games it contains: Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast. There is also a larger Jedi Knight Collection on Steam, and individual sales of the five games it contains, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. May the Force be with you.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Jedi Knight Rereleases Sep 19, 2009, 18:09 swaaye

1) Dark Forces never came on floppies.

2) Jedi Knight 3D hardware mode will apparently work with some modern video cards but it's dependent on drivers, OS and probably luck.

3) You guys should be more wary Steam releases of old games that used CD audio. Ideally the game should have been reworked to support OGGs or something, but that involves time/money, and source code which LEC lost apparently. Alternately, Steam could include some sort of CD audio emulation. I've used Daemon Tools which has CD audio support along with images of my game CDs to get CD audio in old games.

4) You could just buy the games in boxed form, not lose anything, not help sleazy LucasArts make money (surely out of print), and gain CD audio. Way more authentic.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2009, 18:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Jedi Knight Rereleases Sep 17, 2009, 14:53 Tumbler

I want to buy this, $20 isn't that much money but when I looked at the screenshots of the older games I realized that I'd probably never play them. Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast look like the two games I'd play and those are $10 each...and I just don't want to play either of those for $10... Direct2Drive is only $15 and includes the 2 games...I really want to pay $10 for those 2 games. And even after I do that I don't see myself installing them and playing them...not anytime soon at least...

I'll wait for the Christmas sale I guess.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

32. Re: Jedi Knight Rereleases Sep 17, 2009, 11:16 Ant

Do the games play well online? Can old players with the original CDs play too with the online purchasers? What else is different beside working in the newer Windows like Vista and 7?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

31. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 17, 2009, 00:09 shponglefan

I was really considering re-buying all of these games on Steam (I still own all the original discs, etc), but I think I'm actually going to pass.

Based on readings of the Steam forums, you're probably better off this way. People have been having various issues with JK (including the big ommission of the music), as well as Dark Forces and Mysteries of the Sith.

I was all set to jump on this collection too, but after reading the complaints, I'm saving my cash.

30. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 23:24 Hudson187

I was really considering re-buying all of these games on Steam (I still own all the original discs, etc), but I think I'm actually going to pass. Why? Because I just built a "Classic Gaming Box" that sports a 1.4ghz Athlon, VooDoo5 AGP card, 512MB of ram along with a Sound Blaster running Windows 98SE. I loved the old Star Wars games; still get the urge to play Tie Fighter every now and then, so I think I'm better off just running it on legacy hardware. Don't get me wrong, I love DosBox and GOG, but there's nothing like playing the mech2 glide version or Tie Fighter with my old radioshack gameport joystick  

29. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 23:19 nin

DF2 seems to look/play fine here...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 21:19 Kajetan

As in Outcast? That sucks!

No, as in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2. And THAT sucks, because i too was hoping, that a) this Steam version is playable on modern systems and b) has everything, the normal retail version has, inclusive the soundtrack, exclusive the on 64bit-systems non-functional 16bit-installer from the disks

Addendum: Reverting to an older Nvidia driver (186.18) fixed the graphic problems. Now i'm looking for an old driver, which summons the missing cd audio soundtrack

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 22:25.

27. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 20:55 Wolfen

Yeah. Im on Vista 64 and using the shortcuts provided by steam / install everything works fine for what its worth. Dark Force 2 is just weird though because you cut to windowed mode for the menus and the videos.  

26. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 20:54 shponglefan

Edit: But ... Jedi Knight 2 is a horrid ripoff. No CD music, a buggy software mode and if you want hardware acceleration for the graphics, just put an old GeForce card or similar in your highend, multicore computer. I just asked Valve for a refund ...

That's disappointing. That was main title I was interested in too. Bummer.

edited to add: Looking at the Steam Forums, apparently people are having problems with the original JK as well. Looks like LA screwed up with this release.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 20:57.

25. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 20:42 Rosco

I'm thrilled about this myself. I have never played the earlier versions, my first was Jedi Outcast, which I enjoyed immensely. Now for a low cost even I can play the older ones, I hope I don't have any problems with them, I have 32bit Vista with dual cores and a GeForce GTS250.

Now, if I can someday get System Shock and System Shock 2.

Consoles are schwag.

24. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 20:34 kanniballl

Edit: But ... Jedi Knight 2 is a horrid ripoff. No CD music, a buggy software mode and if you want hardware acceleration for the graphics, just put an old GeForce card or similar in your highend, multicore computer. I just asked Valve for a refund ...

As in Outcast? That sucks!

That game is one of the main reasons why I'd purchase the package.

The older stuff would be more for nostalgia, but I recall Outcast both being fun AND good-looking w/ its hardware acceleration.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 19:58 Icewind

good luck trying to get Dark Forces 1 to run on vista 64.

you sir, are an imbecile. Either that or you utterly fail at using a PC.

Any DOS game now runs in DOSbox. I was running Daggerfall three years ago in DOSbox. With DOSbox, pretty much any DOS game is now 100% compatible with XP/Vista. Of my own 100+ library, I've yet to find one that didn't work. Even the more obscure ones.

Battlespire, Feary Tale Adventure 2, Realms of the Haunting...even Dungeon Keeper. What's great is you can turn the CD into an ISO and mount the ISO as the CD rom drive.

You should turn in your PC and go buy an Xbox.

22. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 19:49 Cutter

Zzzzzz.wake me if LA ever decides to follow up with some actual good new stuff. Maybe a new JK, new Outlaws, new Grim Fandango, etc.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 19:04 CJ_Parker

good luck trying to post something intelligent next time

[see Kajetan's post]

20. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 18:56 Kajetan

good luck trying to get Dark Forces 1 to run on vista 64

Steam uses DOSBox for this game. OF COURSE it will run on Vista64. But you might want to "optimise" the default dosbox.conf. Valve does suck in writing a good default config. But on the positive side, they pre-configured the controls to a modern WASD layout and mouse look (horizontal).

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 19:29.

19. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 18:25 noman

Regarding GoG they just got the Might and Magic bundle (1 through 6) from Ubisoft. It's only $9.99. They also have all the Tex Murphy adventure games.

Best thing about GoG is the absolute lack of any DRM.

By the way, I have started Might and Magic 3, and am just about done with the starting city. Runs perfectly fine on Vista and Win7 x64. It's interesting to alt-tab out, and then use a notepad to take game-related notes. I remember keeping sheets of paper when I first played the game about eighteen years ago. At least the game has auto-map.

18. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 18:17 Fion

Steam needs to better organize these games. I've got about 50 games on Steam and with that many every game should be catagorized alphabetically. All star wars games should have Star Wars at the front of their title. I've got these games all over the place.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 18:18.

17. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 17:52 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 17:50 Prez

On a side note I feel bad for GOG. Those poor guys are getting shafted by D2D and Steam.

I don't know- "DRM-free" is a pretty powerful selling point all unto itself.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 17:50.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Jedi Knight Games Rereleased Sep 16, 2009, 17:49 Fion

Lol I can remember downloading the demo for Jedi Outcast at 80mb and it took about 4 hours lol. Man my internet sucked back then. 28.8 and downloaded at about 2kb/s lol.

And the midi music is bringing back memories. You can have cut your teeth on early 90's shooters and not get nostalgic when you hear midi music

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo