Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I need to make a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles today, which I'm not looking forward to. Over time the DMV had shed its reputation for inefficiency and indifference, but over the past few years they seem to have returned to form, at least where we are. Hopefully the experience will only be slightly frustrating, rather than overwhelmingly so.

R.I.P.: Fred Cusick always a Bruin.

Department of Motor Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Station 38. Thanks Jay is Games.
Tortuga 3.
Loaded Metal.
Links: Atareality 5 -- Images inspired by video games.
Stories: Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword, police say. Thanks Ralph.
Rare Coins - Family Treasure or Ill-Gotten Goods? Thanks Neutronbeam.
Band's parody helps keep Auto-Tune alive.
Science: Taking showers 'can make you ill'. Thanks Slashdot. And not can make others ill.
Military robot 'hops' over walls.
In One Study, a Heart Benefit for Chocolate (registration required).
Media: Top 10 Movie-Based Games.
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy Thème Extract. Thanks Kxmode.
U.S. Condemned For Pre-Emptive Use Of Hillary Clinton Against Pakistan. Thanks brother19.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 17:39 Kxmode

Somehow Creston yelling ALLAH AKBAR in a deep Texas accent doesn't quite work.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 17:32 Creston

I knew Creston was a terrorist! I KNEW IT!

Shit, I've been discovered!

I need immediate extraction before they send Jack Bauer after my ass. My luck knowing he'll be all out of time...

Creston

22. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 16:54 jimnms

Here they quit sending out reminders to renew your license so they can collect that $25 late fee or get the money for catching you with an expired license.

Luckily I happened to look at my license a few days before it expired. I went to the DMV, and there was only one person ahead of me and a couple of students taking tests. They didn't even take my picture. They'll re-use your picture if it's not too old. I had just renewed my concealed firearms permit 6 months before, so they used that photo.

Since they don't take your picture, you can also skip the DMV and renew online now, for a $2 fee.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 16:37 The Half Elf

And a little archaic...

AND IT HAD LEGS... LEGS FER CRYING OUT LOUD!

*walks off mumbling* Legs... whoda thunk it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 16, 2009, 16:26 HellSlayer

If Obamacare passes......pray you don't get sick! o.0  
o0

19. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 16:25 Mr. Tact

I knew Creston was a terrorist! I KNEW IT!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 16:18 Creston

I have had my drivers license renewed 2 or 3 times before with no problems. They must have just got this federal database going in the last few years.

Yup, they did. Partially because people that couldn't get a driver's license in one state would just go to another state and get a license there, but mostly just so they can collect those outstanding tickets. The government's poor, they need your money. How else are they going to spend it?

It's even more fun when you're not a citizen but a Resident. Apparently a driver's license can be used for ALL SORTS of nefarious terroristic purposes, so when I changed addresses, I went to the TAG agency to get my address changed on my license.

"You're not a citizen, you need to go to the DMV."

To get my fucking address changed... Needless to say, my license still has my address on it from four years ago. Cops complain about it every now and then, but eh.

Now my license has actually expired and I didn't realize it and missed the grace period, so now I have to go to the DMV with a BIRTH CERTIFICATE (which is in Dutch, so it won't do them a shit of good), then get a piece of fucking paper that says (apparently) that I'm not Abu Bin Albubu, and then the TAG agency can extend my license.

Fuck that, so now I'm just driving on my Dutch driver's license, which, btw, I can extend over the Internet.

*shakes head.*

Creston

17. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 15:20 nin

It was spectacular!

And a little archaic...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 15:05 Kxmode

Blue made a table.

Out of ones and zeros! It was spectacular!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2009, 15:01 Mr. Tact

A judge making a stand for justice? Who woulda thunk it?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/15/AR2009091503498.html

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 14:54 nin

So, how's everyone been?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Blue made a table.

13. Kanye West Finally Apologizes to Taylor Sep 16, 2009, 14:47 Kxmode

For anyone wondering what was going through her mind when Kanye did that...

"My overall thought process went something like, 'Wow, I can't believe I won. This is awesome. Don't trip and fall. I'm going to get to thank the fans, this is so cool ... Oh, Kanye West is here! Cool haircut! What are you doing there? And then, ouch. And then, I guess I'm not going to thank the fans.'"

source: http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20302940_20304567,00.html

West needs to control himself. As a professional musician that was very unprofessional.

12. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 14:24 Bronco

Holy fuck, it's Bronco. And your last post was a year ago to the day. You hibernate or something?

I still read/visit weekly or so.

Sort of strange that I posted to the day...

I just grabbed an xbox360 set up since my oldest is 11 going on 18 and is tired of playing Wii games. Made me think to come here and read a bit on what's new.

So, how's everyone been?

-TPFKAS2S

11. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 14:18 nin

Being a citizen of a state doesn't mean anything anymore. Your state will sell you out to any other state in the country for money now.

Or you could always follow the law, like the rest of us do...

edit: Holy fuck, it's Bronco. And your last post was a year ago to the day. You hibernate or something?

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 14:19.

10. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 14:17 DG

I had my licence renewed recently due to change of address. Did it online and the new one came in the post a little over a week later.

The DVLA in the UK, they're actually pretty good, though they sell more information than I'd like, with less discretion than I'd like.

Though actually as I recall much of it is outsourced overseas. To the US.

PS. I can't see much reason for liking the Daft Punk tune for more than half a minute but youtube keeps looping it and I'm feeling reluctant to stop it... Very Daft Punk.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 14:19.

9. Re: We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 14:06 Bronco

Being a citizen of a state doesn't mean anything anymore.

Anymore?

Anywho...PA isn't all that bad, most of the picture centers are run by vets and they don't want to be there any more than you do so it goes fast.

-TPFKAS2S

8. We have de facto National Drivers Licens Sep 16, 2009, 13:59 Extorted

Did you guys know that we have a National Drivers license now? It is really weird because I just found that out today, and Blue is going to the DMV today!

I went to renew my driver's license in one state. They put a hold on the license. I called to ask why and they said that two other states had requested my state to not give me a license.

I said "What! Why does any other state have anything to do with me getting a license in my state? Since when do other states have any say over citizens of another state?"

I was told that there is some new federal database that connects all the states DMV's. If you go to one state to get a drivers license, they check all the other states for your name to see if you have traffic warrants or criminal warrants! Aren't computers great!

So I call up this other state and they say that 15 years ago, 15 years!, I got a ticket and never paid it. I said "It was 15 years ago. Isn't there a statute of limitations?". They said no. I said "I could commit a crime and the statute of limitations would be over for the crime, but for a traffic ticket there is no statute of limitations"? They said yes! So not only do I have to pay the ticket, I have to pay $50 so the people in that state can send an email to my state that the successfully extorted the 15 year old ticket money out of me. $50 to send an email!

Then I call the other state up. They tell me "Hold time is 35 minutes". I say I am calling from out of state thinking they would let me jump the line because of long distance charges. Nope. "Sorry. Waiting time is 35 minutes. Too bad you are calling long distance. We cannot allow you to jump the line".

I have had my drivers license renewed 2 or 3 times before with no problems. They must have just got this federal database going in the last few years.

You people that travel? You know all those little towns in the middle of nowhere that run speed traps and other traffic scams for income? Now you can't get away from them anymore. Every small town in every state in the USA can now blackmail you for your next driver's license in your home state, by putting a notice in this federal database. There is no way for people to get away from those small town crooked cops.

I told the person at the DMV "So this hold on my Driver's License is really about all you states getting together to collect money? It is not about my ability or right to drive?".

They said yes.

Being a citizen of a state doesn't mean anything anymore. Your state will sell you out to any other state in the country for money now.

I wanted to ask the DMV person "What if I have a library fine in another state? Are they going to be able to stop me from getting a Drivers license too?".

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2009, 13:49 xXBatmanXx

I actually go out of my way to go to one that is really nice and in a remote location. When I go to inner city locations I have to leave my gun at home for fear of cullin the herd through mere frustration of idiocy.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2009, 13:30 dubfanatic

Last time I went in to renew my license, there was nobody in the office except the clerks. There are some perks to living in the relative middle of nowhere..

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2009, 13:24 Steele Johnson

RIP Fred, I'll always remember your voice.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo