Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Arkham Asylum Ships

We've seen reports that Batman: Arkham Asylum has been released today in North America as expected, but have not seen an official announcement to that effect. What we have found is a new press release saying the Games for Windows edition of the superhero game is due worldwide Friday, but that is the game's PAL release date. Meanwhile it is available for online purchase through Direct2Drive and Steam as well as e-tailers such as Amazon. A playable demo was released early last month, here are some new screenshots, and here's that press release:

Tuesday 15th September/...Published by Eidos, Inc. under licence from DC Comics, the game features stunning NVIDIA® PhysX® technology that allows for the creation of incredibly realistic worlds full of interactive materials and objects. PC gamers can experience intense realism and fully immerse themselves in Batman’s journey into Gotham City’s asylum for the criminally insane.

Batman: Arkham Asylum exposes players to a unique, dark and atmospheric adventure that takes them to the depths of Arkham Asylum – Gotham City’s psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. Gamers will move in the shadows, instigate fear amongst their enemies and confront The Joker and Gotham City’s most notorious villains who have taken over the asylum. Using a wide range of Batman’s gadgets and abilities, players will become the Invisible Predator and attempt to foil The Joker’s demented scheme.

Batman: Arkham Asylum for Games for Windows® LIVE will be available from Friday, September 18th, 2009. The game is also available for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft® and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

For more information on Batman: Arkham Asylum, visit www.batmanarkhamasylum.com.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Problems? Sales? Sep 16, 2009, 20:27 AdamK47

I wonder if the PC port has annoying DRM, bugs, etc.

Oh it does, but only if the DRM hate sensing technology detects a strong bias against any title with DRM.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Problems? Sales? Sep 16, 2009, 11:15 Ant

I wonder if the PC port has annoying DRM, bugs, etc.

Any sales yet? I was unable to find any in my local stores (e.g., Best Buy, Fry's, Walmart, Target). Amazon's was five bucks cheaper, but I was expecing bigger sales.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 09:42 kanniballl

Can you run the game in a window? I prefer that I'm in control of the game; the game is not in control of my desktop.

r u krazee?!?

I always almost always play games in full screen, unless it's a small game like Plants vs Zombies.

But I knew some people that liked to play in window mode when possible. They appeared to have perfectly valid reasons.

• To have access Instant Messenger

• To keep an eye on email

• To easily "pause" and leave the game without Windows flipping out for 2-3 seconds while it tried to bring back the desktop

• If they want to be able to "hide" the game easier from a significant other or authority figure.
  •  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

24. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 09:11 |RaptoR|

Weird, available on the 18th? It's all over my local best buy, and has been for a few days.

23. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 08:42 Verno

Did you play it on Hard? The combat is much more interesting on Hard because you don't get those cheesy prompts whenever enemies are going to attack and enemies do a lot more damage. 3-4 hits and you're dead. It's a much more intense and methodical experience.

Button mashers really shoot themselves in the foot with this game too. If you approach combat and try to vary up your moves then you'll get huge combo counts and be in far less danger than if you're just mashing attack and counter. I tend to approach most combat situations with attack, evade, counter, batarang, cape stun, bat claw, etc. Game itself is "short" but really there's a good 15-20 hours there for someone who wants to find everything. They did a good job with the collecathons in this game too, most parts of the main storyline bring you back through areas where you couldn't previously obtain something.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
    Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

22. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 08:12 [THA] Hamst3r

Can you run the game in a window? I prefer that I'm in control of the game; the game is not in control of my desktop.

r u krazee?!?

Well, I kind of understand. You can't play WoW at the same time if Batman is taking up the whole screen.

- The Hamster Alliance
    http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

21. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 07:41 CJ_Parker

r u krazee?!?

20. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 07:22 Eldaron Imotholin

Did you play it on Hard? The combat is much more interesting on Hard because you don't get those cheesy prompts whenever enemies are going to attack and enemies do a lot more damage. 3-4 hits and you're dead. It's a much more intense and methodical experience.

Ah, good idea! I'm gonna start that demo again today and play it on hard, then.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 07:23.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
    Future: Dead Space 3.

19. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 06:04 Optimaximal

Whut?

18. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 04:14 BobBob

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

17. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 04:02 Jerykk

Batman: AA runs well on pretty much any decent videocard (8800 GT or better). It's UE3 which is cakewalk these days. However, what's annoying is that AA is only available on Nvidia cards. That's a load of crap.  

16. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 02:32 BobBob

Will get it in 1 or 2 years when it's:

A) $10 or less.

B) Can run well on most computers at that time.

C) Fully patched.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 02:32.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

15. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 02:17 PHJF

This has the same inexcusable gamepad problems as every other UE3 game of late.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 02:11 Wildone

Nah I just did the default difficulty so maybe thats why. I just hate games that spoon feed you every direction and moment and it never feels like its 'me' thats playing it, just pressing a button to make it happen for me? Im sure Im wrong but.  

13. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 00:30 Techie714 ©

This game is getting a lot of good press, I might have to pick it up!  

Steam (ID)
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
    DEAD SH0T
    Keep your privacy!
    http://prism-break.org/

12. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 00:27 Jerykk

11. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 16, 2009, 00:13 Wildone

The combat was hmm..1 button mashing event, I didn't feel like I was engaged in anything more than that. It looked cool tho  

10. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 15, 2009, 23:38 Wag

Nate: The PC version ships. Hardcopy available at 18th of september but appearantly already available online (STEAM etc).

I ordered my copy from Amazon and they're getting ready to ship so apparently they have copies on hand already.

9. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 15, 2009, 23:26 NKD

I always stay about a generation behind. I prefer not to pay a premium for the technology.

That's the smart way to do it. Always buy at the end of a "generation." Prices will be low, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and you aren't that far behind the brand spankin' new stuff.

Plus it's not like DX11 will be used to any real extent for another year or two anyway, if that, at which point you can do a video card swap if you really need.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Arkham Asylum Ships Sep 15, 2009, 23:17 Prez

Though, Prez, I feel sorry for you that you didn't wait a mere month longer for buying your vidcard. DX11 is coming out in october along with the DX11 cards.

I always stay about a generation behind. I prefer not to pay a premium for the technology.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo