Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures

The Star Wars Galaxies Forums announce that 12 servers are being shut down for SOE's Star Wars MMORPG, which represent just under half of the game's 25 servers (thanks MMORPG.com). The free character transfer serviced offered earlier this year has been successful at increasing the population on the 13 servers that will remain, but this has left the 12 servers being closed even more desolate, and they say new character creation on the impacted servers is no longer allowed as of today, and remaining characters are being given the chance to migrate to one of the better populated servers right until their old homes are shut down on Thursday, October 15, 2009, at 4:40 PM Pacific Time. Here are the 12 severs being closed next month, which range from the inappropriate (Intrepid) to the ironic (Wanderhome):

- Corbantis
- Europe-Infinity
- Intrepid
- Kauri
- Kettemoor
- Lowca
- Naritus
- Scylla
- Tarquinas
- Tempest
- Valcyn
- Wanderhome

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 16, 2009, 12:15 Kxmode

Just goes to show that opinions on the internet are full of sound and fury, but really signify nothing.

Or it means there are hardcore fans that love to run around in a deserted universe so long as the universe is Star Wars.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 12:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 16, 2009, 06:04 Ruffiana

Shortly before an MMO leaves closed beta, people being predicting it's imminent demise.

I give props to SWG for continuing to survive for over 6 years...a full 4 years after it supposedly commited suicide via the NGE. Just goes to show that opinions on the internet are full of sound and fury, but really signify nothing.

I expect this game will be around in some form even after the KotOR MMO is released.

24. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 16, 2009, 05:58 Ruffiana

MMO players not having a social life is a gross stereotype. There are plenty of long time MMO players with very active lifes outside of the game, families, friends, etc. both in and out of the game. One of the key elements of MMOs is socialization.

Average person wastes 4-5 hours/day watching TV and wouldn't be labeled socially inept as a group. That's every day, for their entire life. Go ahead and make the claim that people who watch TV for more than a couple of months have no social life.

Frankly, the fact that your posting this haughty opinion on the comments section of a gaming news site at slightly past midnight is rich in irony.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 06:05.

23. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 16, 2009, 00:17 Surf

Wasn't a joke nin if you had a brain. A person cannot claim something is this or that until they try it themselves. I walked away from those games within MONTHS realizing that they were not for me and that only someone without any real social life could play them for years.

So, read into it a little more and stop scratching the surface of a conversation.

22. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 23:57 Narf2029

Was fun when it was Star Wars Galaxies, not World of Star Wars. I think I still have a screenshot somewhere from the old days when it was dark at night, but that had to change because it isn't dark in a WoW night. Now that's fundamental changes in gameplay - not even the visual atmosphere was spared.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 23:59.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

21. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 19:57 UttiniDaKilrJawa

So Long Corbantis.

Was fun....for a bit.

20. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 18:29 J

The jokes just write themselves, folks.

I already have that base covered. Find your own niche!

*deliberately camp swatting motion*

19. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 17:27 nin

"MMO's are for idiots with no life. This is coming from someone that played UO, Everquest, AOL D&D, Meridian" - Smurf

The jokes just write themselves, folks.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 17:25 Creston

wtf_man, sir and kxmode,

Bravo. Well played.

Creston

17. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 17:15 Surf

Wonder how all those people that spent all that time, money and effort feel now? "What the FUCK did I do! I could have worked out! Traveled! Bettered myself!"

MMO's are for idiots with no life. This is coming from someone that played UO, Everquest, AOL D&D, Meridian and walked away from all those after a few months. Fun for a bit, but years? Try the real world.

Sony's ego:
This has been a problem ever since Sony used proprietary AC adapter for all their gizmos. Totally unecessary. Fuck Sony.

16. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 16:44 Longswd

This is something that needed to happen years ago by all accounts.

Sony, more so than any company I have ever seen, has huge ego problems when it comes to admitting to mistakes. Maybe it's that whole Japanese "loss of face" thing.

Whatever it is, it's tiresome and old and they should remove themselves from gaming all together and stick to (root kitting) consumer electronics.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

15. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 16:28 Karnisov

haha. swg begins the process of implosion.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

14. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 16:19 Techie714

It was fun. Then we asked for content, and they changed systems instead. Then we asked for content, and they gave everyone Jedi. Then we asked for content, and they tried to make it a 3rd person shooter. Then most people gave up and moved on, and SOE has been trying to figure out WTF went wrong.

It's like the prequels. We asked for more awesome Star Wars, and Lucas gave us Gungans instead. Then we asked for more awesome Star Wars, and Lucas killed off all the coolest character in the prequels, had Darth Vader build Threepio, and had Natalie Portman fall for a whiney bitch. Then we asked for more awesome Star Wars, and laughed at the end of Revenge when Vader tries his best Charlie Sheen imitation.

Man, I wish this was like Digg so I could follow you, your comments are spot on, funny & well written.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 16:15 Agent.X7

like tens of people suddenly crying out... then silenced on the 15th of the next month.

It was fun. Then we asked for content, and they changed systems instead. Then we asked for content, and they gave everyone Jedi. Then we asked for content, and they tried to make it a 3rd person shooter. Then most people gave up and moved on, and SOE has been trying to figure out WTF went wrong.

It's like the prequels. We asked for more awesome Star Wars, and Lucas gave us Gungans instead. Then we asked for more awesome Star Wars, and Lucas killed off all the coolest character in the prequels, had Darth Vader build Threepio, and had Natalie Portman fall for a whiney bitch. Then we asked for more awesome Star Wars, and laughed at the end of Revenge when Vader tries his best Charlie Sheen imitation.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

12. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 16:09 Kxmode

Hell since everyone is quoting Star Wars I might as well jump on-board. *clears throat*

"Mmm. Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing."

Ohhh snap!

11. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 15:57 sir

Allow me:

"Our login is correct, except...no, Corbantis!"
"What do you mean? Where is it?"
"That's what I'm trying to tell you, kid. It ain't there. It's been totally blown away."

10. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 15:25 wtf_man

I sense a disturbance in the force... nah, I won't do it this time. Somebody else can have the pleasure.

I sense a disturbance in the force... like tens of people suddenly crying out... then silenced on the 15th of the next month.

9. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 15:19 Cutter

Wow Kurt is still working for SWG? Thought he would have moved on long ago. Ahh well, I reckon SWG's days are limted with the new Star Wars MOG on the way.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 14:45 AnarKane

My server (Kauri) becomes officially dead on the 15th as well. I really have to laugh at the irony, though. After all, I can think of at least seven instances where Thunderheart and Blixtev said they would never close servers.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

7. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 15, 2009, 14:40 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 15, 2009, 14:45.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo