Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ARMA II Patch

The Bohemia Interactive Forums now offer a new patch for ARMA II to update the military shooter sequel to version 1.04. They warn that this patch does not apply to the Steam edition of the game, which must be updated automatically, and also remind users that the DirectX 9 March 2009 update is required. Downloads of the patch are mirrored on AtomicGamer, FileFront, FanGaming, and The Patches Scrolls, and here the highlights from the patch change notes:

* Mouse controls: Improved mouse handling and responsivness
* Stability: Fixed CTD caused by Voice Over Net when many players were speaking simultaneously and other stability problems
* Sound: Fixed speed of sould simulation and other improvements
* Multiplayer: fixed scoring, multiple mission parameters added and various other MP-related improvements

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 12:47 Muscular Beaver

I call bullshit.

And my machine is a reasonably high end PC and I have no performance issues with any other game. I made some tweaks to make ArmA2 perform better and now it looks borderline ugly but tolerable I guess, if only the net code wouldn't make other players jerk around and zip forward and backward as they do, apart from the lockups.

Call it what you like. Doesnt make you right.
I had a similar experience once. All games (Prime95 and Memtest too) ran fine without a problem but WoW crashed a lot. I changed my DRAM settings in my BIOS and it ran as stable as other games. Similar thing with ArmA 2 btw. I had problems too at the beginning, but some games (especially complex non-console port crap) are simply very sensitive to some configurations. I tweaked my RAM settings again and all ran well after that.
Blaming a game alone just because your "uber rig" runs everything else without problem, just shows your ignorance and arrogance.
Check your system. And choose good servers. I generally filter out everything above 100 ms.

I *dont* have any problem with the netcode. Its a little jerky when you are the side-gunner of a helicopter and makes it harder to aim when the helicopter changes direction, but its nothing serious.

It is amazing what people consider "good" from BIS and are happy to achieve. Keep dropping your standards.
LOL!
Thats a nice statement, especially the last sentence.
Maybe you noticed that PC gaming has degraded in the last few years and that there are mostly only crappy, boring, short and simple console ports out there. So playing a real PC game that thats very complex, needs lots of thinking while playing and has a very steep learning curve makes us drop our standards?
ROFL!
I should make that one my signature.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 11:59 CommunistHamster

Considering the fun I had, they were worth it. Far Cry 2 didn't crash at all, but it wasn't fun to play.

Besides, you crash, so what? You load it up and play again. Sure it's annoying if it happens too often, but every once in a while, suck it up and deal with it.

15. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 09:45 Donkey_Punch

I had maybe 2 crashes per day

It is amazing what people consider "good" from BIS and are happy to achieve. Keep dropping your standards.

14. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 05:45 LittleMe

I have no issues with the netcode whatsoever.

I call bullshit.

And my machine is a reasonably high end PC and I have no performance issues with any other game. I made some tweaks to make ArmA2 perform better and now it looks borderline ugly but tolerable I guess, if only the net code wouldn't make other players jerk around and zip forward and backward as they do, apart from the lockups.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 05:48.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

13. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 05:37 Muscular Beaver

That statement needs a lot of qualifying. After patching to 1.04 I connected to a 50 player server and after no less than one minute there was a 45 second lockup and then everything went fast-forward and I was dead for an unknown reason. This is the typical experience and is not the exception. The net code in this game is truly and completely a steaming pile of shit.

Looks like your connection or the servers you are using are the steaming piles of shit. I have no issues with the netcode whatsoever. Even when I was still using my 128kbit connection I had no issues aside from long connection times.

BF2 PR is much more fun to actually play, for me. Performs great, far more variety of settings, vastly better squad VOIP teamwork, etc etc etc..
Thank god thats relative.
But I really dont know what you have smoked to say it has more variety. And I guess you have never seen true teamwork in ArmA2, no wonder if you have such issues with your stuff that you cant even play properly. But I wonder why you talk shit like that then, if you dont have the experience to do so.

The AI is the best you can get right now. Stop talking shit about it.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 05:39.

- Mojo Jojo

12. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 05:34 CommunistHamster

I just thought I'd post and say I've been playing ARMA2 all week and rare is the game I've had this much coop fun with. I had maybe 2 crashes per day, at most, one usually due to a memory leak after playing for hours, but online servers save your score for you if you have to reconnect.

I recommend kellys-heroes and SPARTA for good coop servers. Make sure you get on Teamspeak, the VON in ARMA2 is quite poor.

Also, yes, the netcode definitely needs work but it only shows when the number of players becomes too high (this depends on the aptitude of the server admin, the number of bots on the server, scripts etc).

And the AI? Stop rubbishing it, it's actually very advanced. If you look at the scale at which the AI operates, you'll appreciate it. They will flank you, lay down suppressive fire, lean round corners (they've been doing that for a while now) and use other military group manoevering tactics. If you want tunning and gunning AI in cities, play COD4.

I didn't enjoy ARMA1 half as much as ARMA2.

I haven't played the singleplayer because I don't like the squad interface, I much prefer talking online with my teammates. Luckily the campaign is coop, so just find a clan/group and ask them to run through the campaign in coop. You have to organise things in ARMA2.

It is a game that requires patience, but it is worth it.

11. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 05:30 Muscular Beaver

I dunno about the Harrier..who needs to taxi with that?! (it goes straight up!) Im talking about the A10

Yeah, you ARE using the mouse.

- Mojo Jojo

10. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 02:45 LittleMe

There is no better MilSim than Arma2.

That statement needs a lot of qualifying. After patching to 1.04 I connected to a 50 player server and after no less than one minute there was a 45 second lockup and then everything went fast-forward and I was dead for an unknown reason. This is the typical experience and is not the exception. The net code in this game is truly and completely a steaming pile of shit.

Best MilSim? Maybe for certain things but overall this game is no where near finished or optimized. With ArmA1 I have some connection problems but nothing near as bad as with ArmA2. It's not even close.

BF2 PR is much more fun to actually play, for me. Performs great, far more variety of settings, vastly better squad VOIP teamwork, etc etc etc..

9. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 00:47 Wildone

I dunno about the Harrier..who needs to taxi with that?! (it goes straight up!) Im talking about the A10  

8. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 00:32 tuddies

There is no better MilSim than Arma2. The game is completely open-world with great AI and an easy editor with tons of vehicles, weapons and best of all - MODS!

Will Dragon Rising take the crown? It would certainly be an upset.

7. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 16, 2009, 00:13 Narf2029

At this rate, hold off until ArmA 4. Imagine where it could be if it had just spent 6 more months in the oven.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

6. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 15, 2009, 23:40 Jerykk

I've been holding off on this game until they fix the AI. Is the AI acceptable now or is it still retarded?  

5. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 15, 2009, 17:23 Surf

Waste of fucking time piece of shit.

No one talks of this game any longer. Too much work to "play" it.

4. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 15, 2009, 16:05 Joss

I think he's talking about he C130. That thing is horrible.

Wow, just loaded up a town with AI in the Editor and noticed the troops are leaning around corners now. Pretty damn sneaky of them!

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 16:36.

3. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 15, 2009, 15:44 Muscular Beaver

Fix the damn turning radius of the jets whilst on the ground, they have the handling of a broken buick..I often have to jump out and get a humvee to push the plan around because it cant turn tight enough on the tarmac..

???
I just tried that today with an AV8B and the turning is very good, unless youre steering with the mouse or are too fast.

- Mojo Jojo

2. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 15, 2009, 12:41 LittleMe

Installed and will try it.

Feels like this game will be another two years before it *might* be well patched & actually playable.

1. Re: ARMA II Patch Sep 15, 2009, 12:17 Wildone

Fix the damn turning radius of the jets whilst on the ground, they have the handling of a broken buick..I often have to jump out and get a humvee to push the plan around because it cant turn tight enough on the tarmac..  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo