Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Guerrilla

THQ announces the Games for Windows - LIVE edition of Red Faction: Guerrilla is now available, offering PC gamers the same science fiction action set in destructible environments as the already-released console versions of Volition's third-person shooter. There's also a new launch trailer to celebrate the game's release with a look at some of its cinematics and gameplay; the clip can be found on Strategy Informer. Here's a portion of the announcement highlighting advantages of the PC edition:

“Red Faction: Guerrilla earned wide-spread critical acclaim on the Xbox 360 and PS3 for providing a unique open-world experience packed with intense guerrilla-style combat, sophisticated weaponry and the most advanced destruction engine ever built,” said Kevin Kraff, vice president of worldwide marketing, THQ. “Gamers can expect the same top quality from the PC version, with the added benefits of DirectX10 support, bonus downloadable content and additional technical advancements.”

“Red Faction: Guerrilla’s PC debut will expose even more gamers to the Red Faction universe and further enhance the game-play experience by maximizing the PC’s capabilities,” said Rick White, producer, Volition, Inc. “The PC version features higher graphical quality through the support of Direct X10, as well as smooth, customizable controls, resulting in a visually impressive, high performance product.”

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: RF: Guerrilla Ships Sep 21, 2009, 08:44 BobBob

Forcing v-sync on limits your framerates and doesn't help the fact that they bounce all over the place in this game which in turn has hilarious effects on the game world. It's cool that you like the game but this is not a good port, having a peek at this thread or the official forums reveals a lot of people with tech issues.

Does it happen if you set affinity to 1?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Steam Sep 21, 2009, 08:43 BobBob

That's a good question. I gave a friend my XBox 360 (I hate consoles) -- yah I gave it away -- and repurchased some of the games on PC.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2009, 08:45.

38. Re: Steam Sep 21, 2009, 08:26 StingingVelvet

I'm curious though, how many people think it's morally OK to pirate, say, this game, after legally purchasing the console version (for more, with less content, no less) and without a demo? Just curious... or it could spark another one of those pirate debates

As a huge anti-piracy person, I actually have little problem with it. I would prefer you didn't, since it contributes to the general feeling of rampant piracy on PC and hurts PC sales while inflating console sales, and I would rather the PC succeed obviously, but at the end of the day... not a huge moral fault, in my opinion.

If they want to make buying a game the same as buying a license, it should really count for all platforms anyway. You buy a license, then get the game in whatever media form you choose for whatever system you choose. It's the development you are paying for.

37. Re: RF: Guerrilla Ships Sep 19, 2009, 10:02 Muscular Beaver

I havent played it but judging from videos I would say its a cheap FarCry 2 on Mars plus 3rd person and reinforced concrete-destroying sledgehammer. I wanted to buy it, but as soon as I saw those videos, I removed it from my "games to buy" list.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

36. Re: RF: Guerrilla Ships Sep 18, 2009, 15:04 Verno

Forcing v-sync on limits your framerates and doesn't help the fact that they bounce all over the place in this game which in turn has hilarious effects on the game world. It's cool that you like the game but this is not a good port, having a peek at this thread or the official forums reveals a lot of people with tech issues.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

35. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 18, 2009, 13:45 Creston

I couldn't handle the screen tearing, totally obnoxious. Whenever the framerates are too high the whole game world starts moving too quickly like running some old DOS game without a CPU limiter. Very lackluster port!

You realize you can just turn v-sync on in your GPU control panel, right? I mean, yeah, it's annoying and I don't understand why there's no V-Sync option in the game itself, but to call it a lackluster port for that one issue seems a bit over the top.

Played about six hours in it so far, and I absolutely LOVE this game. Love the open world aspect, LOVE blowing everything up, you can set really awesome ambushes, the guerilla missions so far have been pretty interesting (they get a bit repetitive after awhile, but you never HAVE to do them, though if you choose to do them they get you some very nice rewards), the level design is nice, and there is nothing like having three EDF guys sittin on the top floor of a building, shooting at you, then just placing 8 explosives on the bottom floor and blowing the whole thing out from under their ass.

As for the screen tearing, eh, I just turned FSAA up until it stopped doing it.

The only problem I currently have is that if I start the game with my sound in 5.1 mode, the sound is SUPREMELY fucked up. The wind roars at about 400 decibels, and EDF gunships at around 9000. I can work around it by starting in stereo mode, alt-tabbing to desktop, then switching to 5.1.

Very irritating, but not a massive deal breaker. I hope they'll patch it soon.

Apart from no V-Sync (wasn't available in console versions either) and crappy sound bug, this is a fucking awesome port, imo.

Creston

34. Re: RF: Guerrilla Ships Sep 17, 2009, 14:48 Verno

Robert,

This isn't email, you don't need to sign your posts.

Love,

Verno
Verno Michael Pimpasaurus
1234 Five Street
Lawlderdale, Florida 66666

33. Re: Live? Sep 17, 2009, 09:04 robert09

My thoughts exactly.

Regards,
Robert
Pret travaux

32. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 16, 2009, 17:05 The PC Warrior

I couldn't handle the screen tearing, totally obnoxious. Whenever the framerates are too high the whole game world starts moving too quickly like running some old DOS game without a CPU limiter. Very lackluster port!  

31. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 16, 2009, 16:03 Creston

Finally downloaded, played for awhile, runs smooth as silky butter on my quad core 3Ghz/8800GT/4Gig rig, at 1680x1050, max, 4xFSAA. The only thing I didn't turn on was motion blur because dear fuck do I hate motion blur. I hope the fucker who invented it died from motion blur sickness.

There's obviously some framerate dips when big ass buildings blow up, but other than that it's perfect.

Major fucking nag, though : GfWL is mandatory (FUCK YOUUUUUUUUU Microsoft) and there is no FUCKING VSYNC OPTION. Because I guess that was too hard to program or something? Talk about tearing city.

Still, played the first level for a bit, had a ton of fun and it looks great.

Creston

30. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 16, 2009, 14:10 Verno

I don't see anything morally wrong with the practice, (the developer and publisher got their money when it was purchased on the console) but it sure does illustrate how PC piracy numbers can get inflated rather easily. Something to think about...

Well yeah. It's pretty obvious that if there is a 360 version and a PC version, people will probably pirate the shit out of the PC version if they can. Who wouldn't want to save $60? That's why it's very important for these games to have a decent multiplayer component so XBL can guarantee some sales. That isn't inflated piracy so much as it is actual piracy

29. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 13:53 nin

American currency isn't the center of the universe. You can save (or invest) in gold, diamonds, real estate, foreign currency, etc. As long as your savings (investment) appreciates vs. depreciates you're doing okay. Buying a game right away is a 'lousy' way to spend money when in 6 months to a year the same game is often 1/2 or less the original price, all patched up, while contemporary hardware is much better suited to run it. It's the instant gratification spending that leads to all sorts of economic problems.

Thanks dad.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 09:08 BobBob

For a lousy, what, half a percent interest?

American currency isn't the center of the universe. You can save (or invest) in gold, diamonds, real estate, foreign currency, etc. As long as your savings (investment) appreciates vs. depreciates you're doing okay. Buying a game right away is a 'lousy' way to spend money when in 6 months to a year the same game is often 1/2 or less the original price, all patched up, while contemporary hardware is much better suited to run it. It's the instant gratification spending that leads to all sorts of economic problems.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 09:19.

27. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 09:00 Agent.X7

How do you guys afford all these constant hardware upgrades? So many bills -- house payment, medical, etc. After that I put most of my money in savings. In today's economy savings is key.

Are you a bank employee or something? Every post I've read by you today -
In today's economy savings is key.
Yes, let me put my hard earned cash in savings so a bank can blow it on a bad investment, OH WAIT, that's what caused all this shit in the first place. For a lousy, what, half a percent interest? In any economy, savings is shit. Invest in a safe, save some cash, and invest the rest in something that earns better than what banks will give you.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 16, 2009, 07:37 CommunistHamster

I found RFG to have good replay value, and I wonder if mod tools will be released... probably not, but you never know. I might wait a bit before getting it on the PC, I played it to death on the PS3 already.

Anyone complaining about this game just doesn't like videogames.

25. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla Ships Sep 16, 2009, 05:58 Zzet

I'm running a 3.0Ghz Core2Quad, 2GB RAM, 8800GT and Windows XP. Load times off my WD Raptor (10,000 rpm) are virtually non-existant, and the game runs flawlessly all the time. A good port.

As for the game itself...well, yeah. It's fun for a while but there really isn't a great deal of depth to it. Destroying buildings and ambushing EDF vehicles is about it really, unless you count the repetitive side missions as something fun. I haven't got that far yet, but I'm hoping it gets more interesting.
It's certainly not a repeat-play, that's for damn sure. Multiplayer might be fun though..

24. Re: Game Reviews Sep 16, 2009, 01:07 BobBob

How do you guys afford all these constant hardware upgrades? So many bills -- house payment, medical, etc. After that I put most of my money in savings. In today's economy savings is key.  

23. Re: Steam Sep 15, 2009, 23:17 MuzixMon

This game is a blast! It's running flawless on my rig with absolutely no issues whatsoever. It's not a horrible port like Saints Row 2 was so if you were are hesitating because of that there are no worries there! It also looks much better than my PS3 version did and I only have it set to medium right now, after playing the game I ordered a couple of new vid cards (a pair of GTX 260's to replace my 9800GT's) I'm hoping I will see a noticable improvement there. I hope this game sells well and the developers and publishers see that the PC platform is still worth the effort. As for the assholes that plan on just torrenting it... fuck off and stop killing PC gaming you pricks!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

22. Re: Steam Sep 15, 2009, 22:49 Bumpy

And if they couldn't pirate it, they'd go "Meh." and wouldn't buy the the game a second time anyway. No lost sale, no killing of PC gaming.

True, which is why delayed release hurts the PC platform. Initial sale could of gone towards PC instead.

21. Re: Steam Sep 15, 2009, 22:22 Prez

And if they couldn't pirate it, they'd go "Meh." and wouldn't buy the the game a second time anyway. No lost sale, no killing of PC gaming.

I would tend to agree, except that developers and publishers put an awful lot of stock in those inflated piracy numbers.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo