Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

"More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG

GameSpot has a quote from Activision's Bobby Kotick about Blizzard's secretive other MMOG that may cause some head-scratching, saying the developer is working on "a new, unannounced MMO that has a little more broad appeal." With World of Warcraft boasting a player base that would make the game the 73rd most populated country in the world, one's mind boggles at the prospect of how many players they envision by creating "a little more broad appeal." Maybe he just means the game will attract more female players?

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Sep 16, 2009, 16:14 Kxmode

Sci-Fi appeals to men because of the militaristic nature of space, motifs with gadgets, weaponry, examples of overt powers, violence, testosterone, and black and white parallels between good and evil. Fantasy appeals to women because of unicorns, butterflies, pixies, magic dust, elves, and in general: girlish stuff. Most female artistís pages on Deviant Art are littered with examples of traditional fantasy artwork (a naked elf hugging a butterfly while sprinkling magic dust on some mushrooms under the moonlight). What makes fantasy work for men and Sci-Fi work for women is when the two genres are merged together. Battlestar Galactica is Science Fiction Fantasy. World of Warcraft is Science Fiction Fantasy. Even in literature there is a genre called Science Fiction Fantasy to appeal to both sexes.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 16:23.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Sep 16, 2009, 14:47 cento

Sci-fi tends to have less appeal than fantasy.

I don't think that is true at all.

Within MMOs, fantasy has been far more successful than sci-fi, but that has less to do with the inherent mainsteam popularity of the genres and far more I think to do with ranges/distances.

MMOs are inherently social, even in PvP play. Fantasy lends itself to close ranges that reinforce that social interaction. Traditional Sci-fi with it's longer range weapons and tech too easily lends itself to breaking down that social bond.

27. Re: Sep 16, 2009, 09:50 InBlack

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the dump trucks full of money that he makes for shareholders through smart franchise acquisitions of popular/emerging brand names.

Oh I guess that would take a lot of brain power, not to mention hard work....

B.K: Hey guys lets Merge with Blizzard, they are a really cool upcoming company that makes a huge ammount of cash! Here just take a look at these numbers here....All in favor?

Shareholders: Aye!

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Sep 16, 2009, 01:37 mag

Ooooh, I get it. Don't I feel stupid.  

25. Re: Sep 16, 2009, 00:45 Kxmode

"More Broad Appeal" does that mean they want more girls to play? Ha ha. ... ahh... Hey I'm here all week. Try the roast beef buffet.  

24. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 21:18 mag

Eh. It's something like five or six girls that play WoW and six or seven guys that do.  

23. Re: "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG Sep 15, 2009, 20:01 space captain

its a puzzle platformer MMO  
Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG Sep 15, 2009, 17:43 Dev

Well, that means its not sci-fi. Sci-fi tends to have less appeal than fantasy.

What else is left? Something like Second Life? I'm not really sure what would have broader appeal than WoW.

Just trying to analyze his statement, maybe its not worth analyzing lol.

21. Re: "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG Sep 15, 2009, 16:07 Verno

Oh Jesus Christ.....

How did this guy become the head of the biggest gaming publisher in the world??? Im thinking it didnt have a lot to do with his intelligence....

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the dump trucks full of money that he makes for shareholders through smart franchise acquisitions of popular/emerging brand names.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

20. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 16:02 Agent.X7

Best job I ever had, that's for sure.

Pay sucked though.

QFT - although, be honest, running Blues has got to be more fun than fixing and re-imaging PCs for a big government contractor.

Wow, coffee spill. *Makes another hash mark on the wipe-board*

Wow, dropped a laptop on the floor. *hash mark*

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 14:47  Blue 

That's a solid profession. I need to find a job as a teenager again. *sighs*

Best job I ever had, that's for sure.

Pay sucked though.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 14:38 Creston

Spain friend 2's teenage daughter - uh, teenager (female)

That's a solid profession. I need to find a job as a teenager again. *sighs*

But yeah, look, the next MMORPG is going to be even MORE broad in appeal!

Creston

17. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 14:18 Agent.X7

Me - IT guy
Wife - Reading Teacher (female)
WV friend - Bartender
WV Friend 2 - Mining engineer
AL friend - Sec Forces USAF lifer
DC friend - USAF combat comms
Spain friend - USAF jet mechanic
Spain Friend 2 - LT in charge of something or other (not sure)
Spain friend 2's teenage daughter - uh, teenager (female)
Spain friend wife - housewife (female)
NV friend - blackjack dealer (female)

etc.

One person on that list is overweight. Most of the guys are weightlifters. Nobody lives with their parents, or in a basement of any sort. We all play WoW. Hmmmm...

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

16. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 13:55 cento

they're actually great guys, but they beautifully perpetuate the stereotype when they're all yapping like that.

Contrast that with what dragged my wife and I into WoW...

About a month after launch, we would go out to a night club in San Francisco and our friends at the club were talking about this game. And the bouncers. And the club promoter. And the bartenders. And the DJ... So we got sucked in pretty quick after that.

But not the stereotypes you would think at all...

15. Re: "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG Sep 15, 2009, 12:51 Creston

More broad appeal as in fewer nerds? I swear, there's this group of eight guys at my job who ALWAYS talk about WoW in the cafeteria, and they're the biggest bunch of dorks you've ever seen, especially together.

It's always fun to see all the women around them just staring at them like they're lepers or something. And they don't care, they just keep happily talking about the raid they went on last night.

No offense intended to anyone, they're actually great guys, but they beautifully perpetuate the stereotype when they're all yapping like that.

Also, seeing as how Bobby Kotick is involved, I trust the fee for Blizzard's next MMORPG will be 60 bucks. A month.

Can't wait until the jackoff starts selling Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 for 89 bucks. Die in a fucking fire, Kotick.

Creston

14. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 12:42 Fion

More broad appeal?

So basically they are saying even MORE generic and boring than WoW is?

Well there go any possible hopes I had for said unannounced MMOG.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 12:43.

13. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 12:36 Kxmode

Activison 'mated' with Blizzard

Doggy style?

12. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 12:20 Umbragen

How did this guy become the head of the biggest gaming publisher in the world?

Activison bought Blizzard. (OK, Activison 'mated' with Blizzard)

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 12:21.

11. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 12:19 Kxmode

The Gamesucker Proxy?

Nice film reference

10. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 12:06 Wolfox

But, of my friends that play WoW, I'd say that almost fully half of them are female.

Yeah, they all have one X chromosome (half of XY). Hence, the "half female" part?

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo