Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW and Innovation

How World of Warcraft (WoW) Promotes Innovation on the Deloitte Website offers downloads of a Adobe Acrobat document with an academic look at how collaborative techniques are being innovated in World of Warcraft (thanks Neutronbeam). Word is: "The online game World of Warcraft (WoW) has become a global phenomenon with more than 11.5 million total active subscribers. WoW constantly changes and morphs not just as a result of the actions of game developers but in response to those of the players as well, making it unpredictable and challenging. This characteristic of the game makes it an intriguing simulacrum for the real world—and a fascinating laboratory for emerging trends in learning, collaboration, and performance improvement. As gamers grapple with an ever-changing, ever uncertain in-game environment, they are pioneering new techniques that may prove highly relevant to the business world."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 16:56 Talisorn

Do'h. Double post.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 16:58.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 16:54 Talisorn

Yeah, sounds like a bunch of marketing bullshit to me. "Ever-changing, ever-uncertain in-game environment"? It's like the author hasn't actually played WoW for more than 20 minutes
Or it's like the other hasn't played any other MMOs at all. Innovation? No. Buff and polish? Definitely.
Achievements - Lord of the Rings Online
Auction House - Ultima Online
Battlegrounds - PlanetSide
Classes - Star Wars Galaxies
Content phasing - Lord of the Rings Online
PVP - Ultima Online
Quests - EverQuest
Talents - Diablo 2
Telling an immersive story via consecutive monthly content since launch - Asheron's Call
I'm still waiting for them the steal innovate the music system from Lord of the Rings Online or player housing from ... well any other game really. Then true innovation will be complete.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 17:00.

13. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 13:40 Reitsuki

Wait, what now?

I'd also debate the Battlegrounds attribution... Planetside, for all it's claims of being an "MMO", isn't really the same animal.

I'd also point out that most of that list has been done in MUDs even sooner. But thats splitting hairs. The real "innovation", if you will, with WoW, wasn't any one thing - it was pulling a lot of good ideas together in one place.

And actually WoW was, if not groundbreakingliny innovative, was at least fairly novel in some of its systems, and highly polished in others.

The previously mentioned quest icons over questgivers, for example. Yeah, EQ1 had quests... And it had legions of people wandering around, targeting every NPC in the gain, and typing "Hail" to see if maybe THAT npc had a quest. And then doing it again next level, because maybe they had one before, but they wouldn't talk to you earlier. I remember those days. I don't think WoW was strictly speaking the first one to do this - my memory is hazy, but I think another one did it first - but it definitely set the standard on that issue.

Or take fast travel systems. Yeah, EQ2 (Contemporary with WoW) had a fast travel system, and before it Dark Age of Camelot did, but WoW certainly took the concept and polished it nice and shiny.

Another point I think deserves mention is the addon/interface customization ability, unmatched still in any game.

I'm not saying WoW is flawless, heavens no. I'm not even saying it's a paragon of innovation anymore, it is starting to get pretty stagnant. But praise where praise is due, WoW did a lot of things right, and did them before they were common industry practice.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 13:49.

12. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 13:35 Shok

WoW had the innovative yellow question marks and exclamation points to make questing easier!

Seriously, though, the one thing that sold me on WoW after playing Everquest for years was the continuous world. Not having to face a "Loading, please wait..." message every time I went from world zone to world zone really rocks. Every time I tried to go back to EQ I just couldn't because I missed the continuous zones.

11. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 12:54 Kxmode

I consider myself a diehard WOW player but calling WOW innovative is pushing it. To quote Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park, "You read what others had done and you took the next step". Most of WOW's innovations were created in other games. The only thing Blizzard did with them was integrate them into WOW with a high degree of polish. Offhand here's a list of innovations and who created them:

Achievements - Lord of the Rings Online
Auction House - Ultima Online
Battlegrounds - PlanetSide
Content phasing - Lord of the Rings Online
PVP - Ultima Online
Quests - EverQuest
Talents - Diablo 2
Telling an immersive story via consecutive monthly content since launch - Asheron's Call

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 13:05.

10. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 15, 2009, 10:16 Nate

If you actually read the PDF, you would know it discusses the user communities self organization and the online improvement resources that the users have created. It doesn't isn't talking about WoW itself.  

9. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 23:42 Rhett

That's a good point. I mean, hell, everyone's gunning to be the next WoW.... OH JESUS! We're boned in terms of MMO innovation now Thanks Blizz! GET Starcraft and Diablo out already, damnit!  

8. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 23:10 Icewind

Don't they mean "Stifles innovation"?

7. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 22:55 Trevellian

WoW ceased to be challenging at the end of Vanilla WoW if you want to get really serious. BC's raiding was acceptable but still not as challenging. And Lich Kings raiding was well, absolutely pathetic. Ever changing to appease the endless whining of the masses that can't kill shit is more like it.

Thank god Aion has come along and provided an amazing Dark Ages style PVP world to play in. The Beta's have been ever so amazing.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

6. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 22:53 Acleacius

Bullshit.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 22:47 space captain

yawn  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 14, 2009, 22:46 HellSlayer

We can talk smack against wow but name a game out there that even comes close? Without bsing....you can't!

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 22:46.

o0

3. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 21:55 dubfanatic

Yeah, sounds like a bunch of marketing bullshit to me. "Ever-changing, ever-uncertain in-game environment"? It's like the author hasn't actually played WoW for more than 20 minutes.

2. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 21:55 Rhett

Not challenging, not REALLY that innovating, and not really going anywhere... Oh wait, they're going back to Azeroth! Whoo!

Sorry, I'm just burnt out on WoW

1. Re: WoW and Innovation Sep 14, 2009, 21:52 Mr. Tact

I like WoW and have played since a month after launch -- but I call BS on this.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo