Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More L4D DLC Planned

A write-up on the L4D2 Boycott Forums has the impressions from the visit to Valve by the founders of the L4D2 Boycott Group (thanks Dave). Included is an outline of future DLC plans for the original Left 4 Dead:

Now for some good news: There is more DLC for Left 4 Dead coming after CrashCourse. We were given a rough idea of what it should be, however we were asked not to talk too much about it so it didn’t “influence the creative process”. I can tell you this: it’ll either be a new Special Infected, a new Campaign or new Weapon(s). It’s definitely one of the three, perhaps more. This is pretty much the only thing that we were asked not to talk about (remember, *asked* we didn’t sign anything). To that end, we’ll continue to bug Chet about this after Crash Course drops.

I can tell you guys this though; Chet and the rest of the L4D team are still excited about the original four survivors and working the stories of L4D and L4D2 together. To that end, Gabe told us that they’re working on a project that will bridge the stories of L4D and L4D2 and that it will be available through steam (I believe the word ‘free’ was tossed in there too, just don’t quote me on it). It was also hinted at that they were doing something for the Mod community; Agent of Chaos heard more about that though.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 13, 2009, 14:51 Verno

I really doubt there will be a Left 4 Dead 3 the next year, but nice try trolling.

I think most people really doubted there would be a Left 4 Dead 2 this year dumbass.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 14:21 Prez

Why the hell do you throw a tantrum every time someone disagrees with you? First of all, Crash Course has not been released, and after the unfulfilled promises of L4D so far, there will be no counting chickadees 'til their hatched for me. Secondly, Survival mode was a boring, throw-away mode that no one wanted with exactly one new, tiny map and was not what was specifically mentioned as one of the updates to be released in Valve's press releases. They even wanted to try charging money for it before the uproar at their vague "pricing has yet to be determined" announcement that came with Survival's announcement. Remember that? I am talking about the new campaigns that were mentioned. The new bosses; the new weapons. I never said I thought L4D would be abandoned. If you had paid attention to anything that myself and a lot of others have said about this subject, you'd understand that many of us are disappointed at the amount of content thus far. Not frothing at the mouth, not enraged or beside ourselves; just disappointed.

Honestly, judging by how damn hostile you get whenever someone criticizes L4D or Valve, I'd swear you either work there or have a blood relation who does.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 18:06.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 14:12 Caveman

The concept of free bonus content to games you already own may be foreign to you, whom I have gathered to be primarily a console gamer, but this has long been a common practice in the PC world. You just had to know who to trust.
So, you just choose to ignore Crash Course and the Survival Pack? This is why there is no point to trying to reason with people like you. You choose to ignore everything you don't want to hear. Also, what free content for HL, HL2? You had to pay for all the expansions and episodes. You don't feel Left 4 Dead 2 is worth $50? Fine, but seriously stop spewing Left 4 Dead isn't getting support, or it will be abandoned, because it's downright bullshit.

28. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 13:58 Prez

Who buys games based on vague future promises?

A lot of people did just that (except there was absolutely NOTHING vague about the future promises made by Valve about L4D, so quit playing coy). The thought was, Valve has supported the hell out of Half Life, HL2, and TF2, so there will be a lot of added content. I don't do this with every developer; Valve is really the only one. Well, was the only one. They no longer get the benefit of the doubt. The concept of free bonus content to games you already own may be foreign to you, who I have gathered to be primarily a console gamer, but this has long been a common practice in the PC world. You just had to know who to trust.

In my view, there was nowhere near enough content in L4D at release to justify me spending 50 bucks. In truth, I bought 4 copies for 150 bucks, such was my faith in Valve. Go ahead, call me stupid; I know I feel stupid for having spent money on such a barebones (at the time) game. Never again, though. I don't let the same dog bite me twice if I can help it. Only the release of the SDK, and the flood of great new campaigns from the community, has made the game something closer to what I expect for full price.

I'll buy L4D2 when it is about 20 bucks, or if and when it has enough content to justify a higher price. Right now, it doesn't look to have a whole lot more on release than L4D did, but we'll see.

I really doubt there will be a Left 4 Dead 3 the next year...

Just like those of us who have known Valve since the original Half-Life never imagined there would be a L4D2 a year after the original...

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 14:08.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 12:46 Caveman

I feel sorry for all the L4D2 buyers out there. Do you think you're going to get any kind of updates/content between Valve trying to correct their fuckup with the L4D1 crowd, and the inevitable 9-month announcement of L4D3? Good luck with that.
I really doubt there will be a Left 4 Dead 3 the next year, but nice try trolling.

26. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 12:45 Caveman

Who buys games based on vague future promises? Last time I checked, I buy a game based on what I see and if I like it, I get it.

25. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 11:34 Nameless Again

I feel sorry for all the L4D2 buyers out there. Do you think you're going to get any kind of updates/content between Valve trying to correct their fuckup with the L4D1 crowd, and the inevitable 9-month announcement of L4D3? Good luck with that.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twi....wait, there is no fool me twice.

edit: Oh, and thanks go out to those that pointed out some good campaigns to dl.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 11:37.

24. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 08:38 Prez

Well, considering I am one of tens of thousands of gamers who felt duped because they bought the game based on what it would be based on Valve's promises, and exactly none of it had come to fruition by the time of the L4D2 announcement, I really don't think I need to spend much time explaining myself to you.

Congratulations on not being a "retarded moron". I don't recall anyone else advocating showing up at Valve's offices with pitchforks and torches, but don't let that get in the way of your self-important pontificating.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 08:38.

- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 08:28 toon

That's quite a bit of rhetoric crammed into one post. If you look at how much support L4D got before the community went apeshit over L4D2's announcement when the original was still far from complete and compare it with how much content has been promised and/or delivered since, it could be argued that the boycotters have sent a strong message to Valve
Far from complete Prez? What the fuck do you mean, far from complete? I've played the game for 98 hours according to my steam page. I checked out a few of my friends, everybody who had it had playtimes ranging from 40h to 260h.

Would I be happy if they updated it more? Sure. Would I show up with steel-forks and torches if they didn't? Of course not, I'm not a retarded moron.

Man, Blues is just FILLED with ungrateful hobos..

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 08:33.

22. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 07:38 Prez

For every free update, the community will whine that it's not enough.

Not true, at least from what I've seen. Every TF2 update (at least until the ill-advised "random drops and silly hats" update) has been met with overwhelmingly positive reaction from the community. Sure, every update will have a few people bitching about the changes, but mostly it's all been positive.

Valve needs to go back into their ivory tower and learn the lesson that trying to have open communication with your community is folly.

Great. SO they can become EA or Microsoft. Isn't one enough? I hope to God that they don't take your advice.

- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 12, 2009, 05:37 Ruffiana

Valve needs to go back into their ivory tower and learn the lesson that trying to have open communication with your community is folly.

They'll never make everyone happy, and every inch they give the community will demand a mile. For every free update, the community will whine that it's not enough. No information will ever be enough, no tentative date will be early enough, no amount of content will be good enough. They could release a dozen new campaings for L4D tomorrow, and it would be met with statements of 'too late' and 'should have launched with this'.

None of this will make a lick of difference to how successful L4D2 is.

20. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 21:06 Caveman

If you could grab and install content from within the game itself, in a nice interface, it would in fact be easier.
Some servers had mods that do that.

19. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 20:58 Veinman

If you could grab and install content from within the game itself, in a nice interface, it would in fact be easier.  

18. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 19:44 Prez

On top of the others mentioned, Last Train Home, Anti-New World Order, Mortuary, Naniwa City, and Escape from Montreal are all fun and range from good to absolutely amazing. As I said before, Arena of the Dead is my current favorite.

Honestly, there are so many good ones, you really can't go wrong by just picking a few off of L4Dmaps. Installing couldn't be easier - just double-click the .vpk file inside the archive you download!

- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 19:11 necrosis

I'd love to try out some custom L4D1 campaigns that are good quality. Which ones do you reccomend?
Dead City as well.

16. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 18:22 Veinman

I'd rather they shut up about all the stuff "coming" and announce that it's "there".  

15. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 18:03 Vulkan

I'd love to try out some custom L4D1 campaigns that are good quality. Which ones do you reccomend?

I would recommend Night Terror, Coal'd Blood, Death Aboard, 7 Hours Later and Heaven Can Wait. There is also a small 1 map campaign called Dam It which will net you about 20 or 30 minutes of play time.

You can find them either at l4dmaps.com or l4dmods.com

14. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 17:37 Dev

Prez:

13. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 17:35 Dev

Caveman:
You are right, they are differant. But valve was the one that promised we'd see more/faster/better support/updates for L4D1 than TF2 got. Valve compared them before L4D1 even came out.

12. Re: More L4D DLC Planned Sep 11, 2009, 16:28 Kosumo

I hope it is a new speical infected, I heard Duke Nukem anit doing much these days, maybe he's looking for a gig.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo