Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter

Mad Otter Games announces they have landed the rights to the Red Baron series of World War I combat flight simulations developed back in the day by Dynamix, appropriate since Dynamix cofounder Damon Slye is one of the otters at Mad Otter (thanks Big Download). They now have the rights, but not the source code, so they are offering a reward:

Mad Otter Games is very proud to announce that it has acquired all rights to Red Baron, Red Baron II, and Red Baron 3D. Many of the otters worked on the award winning game back in 1989! It was named #4 on the Best Games of All Time (PC) by Computer Gaming World in 1996.

In an effort to bring these games back to life, Mad Otter is offering a finder’s fee of $1500 to the first person who can deliver the complete source code to any of these games. Note: complete source code does *not* mean assembly. Original C or C++ please!

Red Baron, Red Baron II, and Red Baron 3D are registered trademarks of Mad Otter Games, Inc.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 20:04 theAntiELVIS

They are looking for the original text files that the game program is created from. Usually very carefully protected as proprietary intellectual property. However, employees (especially programmers) have been known to walk-off with a copy - and especially when a company goes out of business.

I would estimate the value of the source to be a bit more than $1,500.00 - except since the Otters own the rights, anyone who has it can't legally do anything with it.

-tAE-

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 19:54 DedEye

Ya Il2 is about it these days. I bought Rise of Flight, and while technically excellent (physics, environment, etc.) it's campaign is stale missing the small surprises like in RB when Lothar von Richtofen flies over your base and challenges you to a duel. Of course he brings friends even though he tells you to come alone

These games weren't (aren't? I still play RB3D) just combat flight sims, they allowed you to tell a story, your story, learn about significant historical events of the conflict in question(referring also to Aces Over the Pacific and Aces Over Europe), and have the opportunity to participate in historical battles.

I guess they spoiled me and sadly nothing has come close since. I play Il2 online to dogfight, but that's a different experience for a different mood.

I hope a heapin' helpin' o' flight sim comes outta this!

14. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 18:58 Hump

why not do a remake?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

13. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 17:02 MattyC

Which is a shame - I find them so much more fun than modern sims.

Sadly there aren't really many modern sims at all in the first place if you mean released recently. Other than IL52 I can't think of any.

If you mean modern as in modern fighters I would love to see some of those. Not like HAWKS. I would love to see a remake of some of the Jane's games. I think modern sims like that were a blast to play.

12. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 16:19 Beamer

I can't believe that these WWI games were ever more than the tiniest niche market. Than

Which is a shame - I find them so much more fun than modern sims.
Slower paced means they're more harrowing. You need to get behind someone and pepper them full of holes, knowing some might not even slow them down. You need to worry about blackouts, redouts, wing shearing...

Modern sims are just fire-and-forget missles.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 16:15 Max-Ray

I bought the EGA version of this and when I'd scrounged enough cash, bought a new video card and monitor and sent my disks in to upgrade to VGA.
Ah, such great memories. I hope the Otter's do the sequel justice!

10. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 15:51 Lincolns Mullet

The original Red Baron is a true classic. This is good news!  

9. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 14:55 Kxmode

In an effort to bring these games back to life, Mad Otter is offering a finder’s fee of $1500 to the first person who can deliver the complete source code to any of these games. Note: complete source code does *not* mean assembly. Original C or C++ please!

Hackers of the world, unite!

8. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 14:54 Jonny

Thanks for the explanation Creston. Thumbsup

Can anyone recommend a good joy stick that will not break the bank?

This one seems popular. I've not got that model but I've had a Saitek Cyborg Evo for years now and it's always been a good joystick.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-AV8R-Retro-Joystick-PC/dp/B000I62PEK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252608495&sr=8-6

7. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 14:22 dagger

Can anyone recommend a good joy stick that will not break the bank?  

6. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 14:20 Creston

I've no idea about software stuff, so could someone tell me what that means?

They don't want the .exe and compiled files, they want the original code, ie, the way the game was written, which was presumably in C or C++.

Who would have that outside of the original company?

That is indeed a very good question, though if the games have been part of the public domain for awhile, someone might have decompiled it already and have it. It never ceases to amaze me how developers don't seem to keep their old code? I mean, for a 1989 game, how big would that have been? 5 MB??

I've got copies of everything I've ever written, and it seems we hear about devs and publishers having "lost" code for their old games all the time. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but...

Creston

5. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 12:53 Prez

Can I finally resurrect my dream of one day playing a Red Baron sequel? Surprised  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 12:35 deadearth

I think what he's saying is "we don't want the binary simply decompiled to assembly code" (which is trivial to do, but not very useful).  

3. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 11:29 Jonny

Note: complete source code does *not* mean assembly. Original C or C++ please!

I've no idea about software stuff, so could someone tell me what that means? Is it that they don't want a retail copy but need some software build that would have existed prior to shipping? Who would have that outside of the original company?

2. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 10:39 nin

I can't believe that these WWI games were ever more than the tiniest niche market.

Red Baron was the shit, back in the day.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Red Baron Lands at Mad Otter Sep 10, 2009, 10:29 Cutter

I can't believe that these WWI games were ever more than the tiniest niche market. Than again I can't believe it's not butter also. Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter however.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2009, 10:30.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo