Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LucasArts Announcement This Week

Geoff Keighley tweets and LucasArts re-tweets plans to unveil a new game on Gametrailers TV, which airs at 12:30 am on Friday. Word is: "LucasArts will announce a brand-new original game on this week's GTTV - with first footage. More details soon. (watch it)."

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

25. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 13:15 kanniballl

NO ONE said about porting Xwing vs. Tie you dipshits.

Except the following....

I guess no one at LA reads the internet and how the overwhelming amount of people want Xwing vs. Tie Fighter.

Granted that line can be taken either way: that they either simply XWing vs Tie or a similar type of game. It can be read as an ambiguous statement.

But that's the post that started the back-and-forth that apparently infuriated you.

Face it, there have been a LOT of threads like this over the past month. And many of them have contained posts that specifically said "I'd be fine with them just re-leasing the old Tie game with some polished up graphics and Vista compatibility." So thinking that was said again isn't far-fetched.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 13:27.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:57 Wildone

I hear ya but I dont think its an issue any more to go outside of the main characters and have new ones set within the same timeline (like fore unleashed) it could be a different X-wing Squadron or whatever..like you said there's probably some other reason like lack of will or they dont have a team that could do it unfortunately..sigh  

23. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:55 Wildone

Surf..WE KNOW, and we're saying F*** a new IP we all know how their last ones went. Theres a lot of people who'd rather have a new next gen X wing game. dipshit lol  

22. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:44 Surf

NO ONE said about porting Xwing vs. Tie you dipshits.

A NEW GAME!

Christ, just have Volition do it, they got it right with their Freespace game in every way. LA should close as a game company, they have some of the worst art people in the industry and know nothing about the game industry these days.

Get Relic to do their RTS and Volition for XWing vs. Tie Fighter. Millions to be made if they would just whack everyone at LA right now and start over with a small, tight group that loves games.

21. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:43 Dev

Wildone:
Licensing is far more complex than you seem to realize. The guy you replied to was talking about voice actors.

For instance, while yes, lucas/lucasarts own the IP rights to the star wars universe and the game idea, if a contract with an actor for his voice (like the actor who plays the emporor or Darth Vadar, or mark hamil) only allowed his voice to be used in a single game production, they cannot now reuse his voice in a new game. They'd have to go back and re-hire all that again.

Its a complication, but probably not insurmountable.

(I don't recall if any of the voice actors in the x-wing/tie fighter games were from the movies or not, for that matter I think perhaps only the cut scenes might have had speech)

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 12:44.

20. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:16 Wildone

Yea your absolutely right, to develop something good (should) take a dedicated team who have experience in simulations I think, not just the sam & max guys tooling around.  

19. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:13 Cutter

Yeah, LA in particular has to stop this announcing they have a pending announcement. It's simply asinine.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:10 Kxmode

Egomancers. The Rise of Me Me Me, I I I  

17. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 12:07 kanniballl

Wow, I didn't realize that Lucas Arts hasn't released any games with MP in them since Microsoft's Zone service went belly up ....

I think the original poster was describing the difficulties in simply porting the old "X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter" game. Simply slapping on a current-gen Networking stack on a 10 year old DOS/Win95 game probably isn't a simple matter. Heck, with some of the small projects I work on, shifting an existing product to use a new/different technology as a secondary feature is a pain.

That being said, yes they could deliver a new product without any issues. The tech is there, I imagine the demand is there, and being a Lucas company I can't see any issues with IP unless there was some contract after X-Wing Alliance that prevents them from doing a full-out space sim.

The fact that it hasn't been done yet is astonishing. Either they're afraid they won't be able to deliver a solid product or something more is going on in the background that we are not aware.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 12:08.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 11:53 CrimsonPaw

"Firstly, there's the whole job of porting the game too a new platform - they will have to completely re-write the multiplayer system since it was built on Microsoft's old Zone system."
Wow, I didn't realize that Lucas Arts hasn't released any games with MP in them since Microsoft's Zone service went belly up ....

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 11:54.

~~Crim~~

15. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 11:44 Wildone

Porting? No, we want a NEW game, not a ported code from 1995..NEXT GEN DAMNMIT.

"Firstly, there's the whole job of porting the game too a new platform - they will have to completely re-write the multiplayer system since it was built on Microsoft's old Zone system."

huhh..didn't Lucas INVENT Star Wars...don't they own their own licenses?! Lucas owns Lucasarts so he can do whatever he wants with Xwing..just do something that everyone WANTS.
"Then there's licensing issues (whilst it's not the case that LEC don't have enough money to blast through any red tape, there has too be a want too do it) with regards to any voice cast etc."

14. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 11:41 Wildone

New X-wing game for the PC or fuck off.  

13. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 11:17 CrimsonPaw

I predict that whatever game it is, it will suck. I had high hopes for Force Unleashed but after getting into just the 3rd level I literally said out loud "this game is garbage".  
~~Crim~~

12. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 11:12 nin

Monkey-Fandango-Wars

Super Lucasarts Melee!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 10:58 Optimaximal

I guess no one at LA reads the internet and how the overwhelming amount of people want Xwing vs. Tie Fighter.

LA's game dept has been so far behind the times in every way over the past 10 years. Always missing the boat.
Just because everyone wants it doesn't mean it's definitely going to happen.

Firstly, there's the whole job of porting the game too a new platform - they will have to completely re-write the multiplayer system since it was built on Microsoft's old Zone system.

Then there's licensing issues (whilst it's not the case that LEC don't have enough money to blast through any red tape, there has too be a want too do it) with regards to any voice cast etc.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 10:59.

10. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 10:57 Dmitri_M

Until I hear otherwise I will assume it's a third person shooter with a cover system and DLC available within 3 weeks of launch.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 10:58.

9. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 10:51 Shok

A new Outlaws game would be awesome but I guess if it's new it won't be that

8. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 10:44 LittleMe

Wow, remember when we used to just get announcements of a new game? Now we get announcements of an announcement. Sigh. It's starting to get like Idiocracy around here.

Marketing companies probably spend a significant sum of money researching the ways of generating interest in a product. So maybe instead of taking offense to it, just see it as part of the business model they currently employ.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 10:34 Nameless Again

Wow, remember when we used to just get announcements of a new game? Now we get announcements of an announcement. Sigh. It's starting to get like Idiocracy around here.

"Go away! 'batin'!"

6. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 10:28 Surf

LA's game dept has been so far behind the times in every way over the past 10 years. Always missing the boat.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo