Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Insider Trading Scandal

Massively reports the latest entertaining intrigues to come out of the ruthless gameplay of EVE Online, CCP's sci-fi MMORPG. It seems a player elected to the Council of Stellar Management took advantage of the information about upcoming changes to which members of the council are privy to engage in some insider trading. This involved as much as 5 billion of the game's ISK, and as a result, the player has resigned, and further his accounts have been banned, as this falls outside of the skullduggery the game celebrates, and is a violation of the game's EULA.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 10, 2009, 15:16 Kxmode

I don't understand this game. You have a game full of roaming pirates. They decide put one of these pirates on a council, and then are shocked when they find out the person did pirate-y stuff with insider information? The EVE community should be kosher with this activity. It seems more "realistic". Right?

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2009, 15:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 23:09 space captain

yeh no shit.. "with sufficient practice behind him, guy goes out and gets a job with the banking industry to fuck people over for real"

yay humanity

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 16:21 Longswd

Sounds like this guy has bright future in politics ahead of him.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

14. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 15:59 TorTorden

I honestly don't think most players bother with the whole council thing.

In fact most I talk to aggree with calling it the council of steller mismanagement.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

13. Re: Figured it out Sep 9, 2009, 15:40 Creston

They should do away with the space stuff, and rename this into "Real Life."

Creston

12. Re: Figured it out Sep 9, 2009, 14:01 Flatline

Y'all know my thoughts on the game by now. So you can insert random valid criticism here and commence with the fanboys flaming me for being a dickless douchenozzel.

11. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 13:50 Medwynd

i find it difficult to enjoy this game, where you can't even trust your teammates (corp members) to be on your team.

People just need to pick there corps better. I think you would be hard pressed to find a game where some guild didn't screw over their guild members and take all their stuff, EVE is no different except for the fact that they can kill you which you cant in most other games.

10. Re: Figured it out Sep 9, 2009, 13:48 dubfanatic

Yeah, pretty much this game is for nerds who think Machiavelli is the pinnacle of all philosophical thought...

9. Figured it out Sep 9, 2009, 12:20 Quboid

I've figured EVE Online out - it's a game for people whose personal hygiene stopped them getting an actual banking job.  

- Quboid

8. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 12:01 Atoth

Isn't that how it works now? A rival corp invades your area and blows up your ships and takes your stuff? The "working over" I am referring to is the game devs cheating and the various other scandals that have taken place that effect everyone. I will say however one of my first experiences in EVE Online was just about that. A rival corp camping our HQ killing anyone that left the station... Granted this was in the beta so a lot has changed since then. I actually enjoyed the game but I found the combat to be unresponsive and lacking..  

7. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 11:26 Karnisov

i find it difficult to enjoy this game, where you can't even trust your teammates (corp members) to be on your team.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

6. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 11:18 creatorswhim

If you think of it as a game, you're not going to get "worked over." You make it sound like a "rival corp" from Eve is going to show up at your house to beat you and take your stuff.

That said, this news brings the idea of "realism" to a whole new level.

5. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 10:56 Atoth

In the real world most people end up in jail and have to forfeit all their money, IE: there are real consequences. In the virtual world you get banned, OH NOES!.. But like the real world, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I liked the premise of EVE but the way things are setup your pretty much guaranteed to get worked over. Considering how many scandals have come out of the game I wonder why anyone would waste time trying to play this. I already get screwed over in the real world everyday I don't need my games to do it constantly too...  

4. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 10:30 necrosis

How many MMO's have trading on the caliber of that in the Excel MMO, er EVE Online.  

3. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 10:22 Stormsinger

How do you figure that? In ANY multiplayer game with trading, having advance knowledge of upcoming changes would allow a trader to make a killing. Nothing new or unusual about it.

2. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 10:11 InBlack

You gotta admit though, the fact that this kind of "gameplay" is even possible is pretty damn impressive.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 10:03 Techie714

I expect nothing less from this game. Their really getting to be like a virtual Wall Street..lol.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo