Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss

EA announces the availability of the new Stygian Abyss expansion for Ultima Online, the eighth add-on for the Methuselah of MMORPGs. The add-on is available via digital distribution from the EA Store as well as the UO Game Code Store. Here's a bit from the announcement, please note the URL for UOGameCodes.com below is incorrect:

Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss revolves around the introduction of the playable Gargoyle race. Players will also find expansive new areas to explore, including Ter Mur, the Gargoyle homeland, and the Stygian Abyss – the largest dungeon area ever introduced to Ultima Online. This sprawling dungeon contains new boss monsters of unparalleled difficulty, including the Medusa, Primeval Lich and the Stygian Dragon, as well as Player vs. Player zones where adventurers are turned against one another.

“We could not be more proud to release Stygian Abyss as the 8th expansion of the storied Ultima Online franchise,” said Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer for Mythic Entertainment. “As the 12 year anniversary of Ultima Online approaches, we are thrilled to offer a brand new Ultima adventure, including the new Gargoyle race and the massive Stygian Abyss dungeon, to both new and existing players.”

Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss will be available via UOGamesCodes.com and the EA STORE:
        • Stygian Abyss Expansion: $29.99 (EXISTING & FORMER ACCOUNTS ONLY)
        • Stygian Abyss Expansion & 30-Day game-time: $39.99 (NEW ACCOUNTS ONLY)

Additionally, consumers who purchase Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss from September 8th – 29th will receive a multi-use Alteration Token to transform current characters into Gargoyles, an exclusive gargoyle craftable pet, and decorative Stygian Abyss mob boss statues.*

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 9, 2009, 08:07 Lokust

PVP zones? Wow, this game has fallen a long way from what I remember. The way the world felt like a dangerous place with PVP anywhere was a big part of the charm.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 9, 2009, 07:26 MTechnik

wizardry came after the first Ultima?  

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 9, 2009, 04:54 osage no onna

I know, I know, I just felt like being difficult  

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 9, 2009, 03:06 LittleMe

He said "the first one", and considering Akalabeth was the first Ultima game, used 1st person view in the dungeon mode, and came out in 1979, he's in fact right.

You have created a straw man. Hump seemed to be talking about the first Stygian Abyss if you put his comment into context. Others here however were directly referencing Ultima Underworld 1 as the first 3d first person game, which it was certainly not. There are many 3d first person games before Ultima Undeworld 1 (which was a great game for its day!!).

Here is Hump's statement..

wasn't the original one of the first games to use a 1st person perspective?

Now, look at the news title of this story:

Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss

Put that into context. He seems to be referencing the first Stygian Abyss which came out in 1992. Or he was saying that the original Ultima Online was the first 3d 1st person perspective, which is clearly false because the first UO was isometric top-down view and not 1st PP.

You do know that 1979 came before 1981, right? Devil

I do. Yes Akalabeth was a very early 1st PP 3d game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPCwb2mg0OU

About 1 minute into that there are some primitive 3d first person graphics.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 03:35.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 9, 2009, 02:54 osage no onna

Do you know what 'predated' means? Do you know that 1981 came before 1992?

He said "the first one", and considering Akalabeth was the first Ultima game, used 1st person view in the dungeon mode, and came out in 1979, he's in fact right.

You do know that 1979 came before 1981, right? Devil

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 9, 2009, 00:06 Ruffiana

Someone forgot to tell these guys that Everquest killed them.  

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 23:29 Doc4

Nice, captain.  

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 23:07 Cutter

Wow talk about a game that needs to go F2P.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 21:54 LittleMe

Do you know what 'predated' means? Do you know that 1981 came before 1992?  

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 21:47 Kxmode

I'm not going down this road with you. Watch the video, then believe whatever you want.  

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 21:44 LittleMe

I played it. I remember it vividly. It looked 1st person perspective to me.

Does that make it the first 1st PP game because you played it? It was predated by ten years, at least.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2009, 21:45.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 21:34 Kxmode

And no, the original Ultima Underworld was NOT the first 1st person perspective by a long shot. Not even close.

I played it. I remember it vividly. It looked 1st person perspective to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpuTbxkaZ94

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 21:19 LittleMe

Yes, $39.99 for 30 days for new accounts is more than double the price I'm willing to pay.

And no, the original Ultima Underworld was NOT the first 1st person perspective by a long shot. Not even close.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2009, 21:20.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 21:10 Kxmode

Maybe it's me but $30 for an expansion to one of the oldest MMOs seems a little steep.  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 20:47 Talisorn

He means the original "Stygian Abyss". The title's been used before, for a single-player title in the Ultima series.
His question wasn't particularly well phrased then, so you'll have to pardon my confusion, especially as the article is about UO.

True that Ultima Underworld was one of the original FP games, and a bloody good one it was. In fact ALL the Ultimas were damn good in one way or another ... even the much maligned Ultima IX.

But they still pale in comparison when you consider the depth of gameplay in Ultima VII (Parts 1 and 2); it's still one of my all time favorites. Even Ultima IV was a leap forward in gameplay, considering the that you couldn't win by killing every enemy in sight otherwise you'd fail at showing compassion ... which was one of the avatar's virtues you needed to "display".

But I digress ....

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 20:14 Kxmode

Yes sir. It was released a week or two before Wolf3D. Where Wolf3D was two-dimensionally 3D, Stygian Abyss let you use the mouse to look up and down giving you true 360 degree field of view.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 20:06 space captain

this is hagga  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 20:04 Gymper

Ultima Underword - The Stygian Abyss for the uneducated. Defintely one of my all time great crpg's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Underworld:_The_Stygian_Abyss

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 19:38 LittleMe

No it wasn't. There were quite a few games in the 80's that used first person perspective. Alternate Reality - The City in 1985 used first person perspective and it was the first game to use texture mapping but even it wasn't the first 1st person perspective. Battlezone in 1981 was pretty early and had 1stPP, it was the first FPS but perhaps not the first 1stPP.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2009, 19:39.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss Sep 8, 2009, 19:31 Sho

He means the original "Stygian Abyss". The title's been used before, for a single-player title in the Ultima series. It was a technological marvel that did many firsts, and the sprititual predecessor to the "emergent gameplay" games like System Shock, Deus Ex, etc.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo